Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-09-2017, 10:58 AM   #1
SouthernChef11
Junior

First LJ Trip Saturday

Hello! This is my first post. Posting to see if anyone wants to join me at La Jolla this Saturday. I recently moved to San Diego, and bought a kayak. I'm used to fishing in lakes and rivers back in Alabama, and am beginning to get familiar with saltwater. I've been out in the bay a couple times, but will try my luck trolling live bait at LJ on Saturday. Hoping to meet some new people, and get some tips and advice. Have a good one!
SouthernChef11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:11 AM   #2
NICKWORN

ALWAYS PEOPLE OUT AT LJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernChef11 View Post
Hello! This is my first post. Posting to see if anyone wants to join me at La Jolla this Saturday. I recently moved to San Diego, and bought a kayak. I'm used to fishing in lakes and rivers back in Alabama, and am beginning to get familiar with saltwater. I've been out in the bay a couple times, but will try my luck trolling live bait at LJ on Saturday. Hoping to meet some new people, and get some tips and advice. Have a good one!

You can always be sure that a group is going to be out at LJ on a Saturday, id recommend introducing yourself to some of the folks at the launch and see if you can tag along for the day.

If not give DEAMON a shout, he loves company!
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:29 AM   #3
SouthernChef11
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKWORN View Post
You can always be sure that a group is going to be out at LJ on a Saturday, id recommend introducing yourself to some of the folks at the launch and see if you can tag along for the day.

What's a normal time that everyone launches?
Old 03-09-2017, 12:54 PM   #4
chris138
donkey roper

Hey Chef,

You probably would want to launch right around sun up, just so you can see the waves at the launch (should be tiny) and see the line up of the cove.

You have to paddle west about 1/2 mile to get out of the marine reserve. No fishing is allowed near the launch. Use your phone GPS, or just keep paddling west until you see other kayaks and boats fishing.

Your strategy should be simple: Catch mackerel for bait. Buy a sibiki to catch the mackerel. Then troll the mackerel on a flyline (no weights, a hook only) around with the reel out of gear and the clicker on.

Good Luck!
CB
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:04 PM   #5
Dannowar

Quote:

Lol. That guys off the water long before anyone launches.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:08 PM   #6
GregAndrew

Most of the guys out there will be happy to tell you what is working for them. They may not want to tell you where or when, but the how is rarely a secret. Just don't be the guy that paddles/pedals up to them with your own lines in the water.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:30 PM   #7
FISH11

Number one make sure you have leashes on all your gear, you don't want to loose. Good luck!
Old 03-09-2017, 02:50 PM   #8
Dee84cali

I'll be out there with my brother.. we're coming from OC, planning on being there by 5-5:30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dee84cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:29 PM   #9
Deamon

Quote:
Hahaha!!! I met a very good dude last week...Katchfish...Ken. He was like "dude, last time I came up on you...you must have been having a bad day"...I was like, "Hey man, don't ever let a little stink eye stop you..." hahahahahaha!!!! It sure didn't work on MoFo Nick!!!! Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:40 AM   #10
NICKWORN

It worked Right!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
Hahaha!!! I met a very good dude last week...Katchfish...Ken. He was like "dude, last time I came up on you...you must have been having a bad day"...I was like, "Hey man, don't ever let a little stink eye stop you..." hahahahahaha!!!! It sure didn't work on MoFo Nick!!!! Jim
And just think, I wouldn't of caught all those this year if I wasn't persistent!!

NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:51 PM   #11
5-20

Just remember that you can yell "roll tide" as much as you want to but it's still only going to change once every 6 hours or so.
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:38 PM   #12
SouthernChef11
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-20 View Post
Just remember that you can yell "roll tide" as much as you want to but it's still only going to change once every 6 hours or so.
Hahaha! Don't worry, I only shout "War Eagle"!
Old 03-11-2017, 07:01 AM   #13
Deamon

Quote:
And just think, I wouldn't of caught all those this year if I wasn't persistent!!
You know NickMan...older kayak fisherman have feelings too, .
One more go hard at it next season before I officially proclaim the bay being fished out of bugs...but the one positive for my 2016 season: Sting Ray counts were low too
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:56 AM   #14
erinoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
Katchfish..Ken a good dude..?? He's a Communist..
erinoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:36 AM   #15
the dude

checkout the fishalerts app for the boundaries of the mpa

Tags
la jolla, saturday