Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
cjthomas

FF Problems

I have a CUDA 300 FF less than a year old that will not power on. I have tried 2 different charged batteries, replaced the fuse, and there is no corrosion on the pins.

I have yet to test with a voltmeter (buying one today) or check the crimp on connections.

Are there any other suggestions? I'm going to be in SD for 3 days this weekend and I'd rather not fish in the dark...

Thanks,
Chris
cjthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

You're on the right track. Start at the battery and work towards the fishfinder and find out where you loose the 12 volts. If you have it at the plug that goes into the fishfinder,double check for corrosion on the pins, but will probably be an internal problem
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:48 AM   #3
Deamon

Is OEX (or anyone else) capable of doing a quick bench test? I have the same problems...
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:18 AM   #4
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjthomas View Post
I have a CUDA 300 FF less than a year old that will not power on. I have tried 2 different charged batteries, replaced the fuse, and there is no corrosion on the pins.

I have yet to test with a voltmeter (buying one today) or check the crimp on connections.

Are there any other suggestions? I'm going to be in SD for 3 days this weekend and I'd rather not fish in the dark...

Thanks,
Chris
If you have the Perko plug assembly or electrical deck assembly, pull the rubber boot back on the pigtail and check the wiring at the small connectors. The small power wires come loose but the boot will hold them in place causing the power on the FF to come on and go off. For awhile there, I thought my FF had a mind of its own, and I was like WTF every time I would go out. Eventually it just quit or so I thought. I bench tested it on my other yak and it worked fine. So I just rewired the thing and in doing so, noticed the power lead wasn't even connected on the pigtail. Once I wired the plug again, bingo!

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
cjthomas

Well I tested it with a meter and I was getting 12V at the pins so I figured it was the head unit. Can I bring the head unit down to an OEX to have it bench tested?

I went out "blind" and was still able to find the squid and a nice rock full of bass and assorted critters (possibly some lings too).
cjthomas is offline   Reply With Quote