Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-09-2016, 10:11 PM   #1
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Are you prepared?

Stayed up a bit tonight to write the events that unfolded this past Saturday.

I hope someone out there can learn from my mistakes.

Are You Prepared?

“You need to spend more time with your children.”

Those of you with children have heard that phrase many times, coming from your significant other, especially in this sport.

What better way to spend time with your children than fishing?

Most of us, who have a passion to kayak have shared it already with them.
In the same way, I have taken my children many times.

But this time, it was very different.

Now most of you who know me personally, know that I am the boy scout of kayak fishing. At all times, I carry my VHF radio on my vest, a tourniquet, a water proof cell phone, and a whistle.
My son had his Type 1 life vest on.

On my kayak, I carry a flare gun, first aid, outriggers, a compass, manual bilge pump, and automatic bilge pump, and GPS.

The date: June 4, 2016
Conditions: Flat, high 90 degrees
Objective: To spend time with my son kayak fishing.
My son’s age: 7 in October
Time: 7am

The morning started with a blanket of fog at Cabrillo Beach, San Pedro. My best buddy was already on his way to the bait barge. I loaded up my son on the gator hatch and started paddling toward the bait barge.

My son starts up a conversation. “Dad how many times have you fallen off your kayak in the middle of the ocean. None, I answer my boy, but I do practice getting on my kayak just in case.”

After we loaded up with bait, we started trolling toward the break wall, and fished for bass at the wall. After a few short ones we decided to fish the markers.

Time: 10:30am
Wind kicks hardcore up to 25mph+ gust.

Daddy, I need to go to the rest room. No problem son, we start trolling back to the boat dock. Wakes and wind waves are not only crashing over the bow, but also to the starboard side.

Now while on the way back to the boat dock. Trolling rod goes off….Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz the reel starts spinning.

Daddy we got a fish. My son says.

I immediately open the hatch and reach for my gaff, and close my hatch.

This was no halibut just a regular old contaminated 15-inch Sand Bass.

O well….

We continue to the boat dock….

Tragedy Strikes:

Time: 10:45am

Dad, we are riding low.
I open up the same hatch, and now its filled up with water.
(I start panicking; I scoot up towards the bow of the kayak to flip the switch on the automatic bilge pump.)

NOTHING!!!!!HAPPENS (OMG) this has now escalated to a code 1 emergency

Time 10:45:15secs

My son Says: “I don’t want to sink!”

Plan B:

I grab the yellow hand bilge pump, and I start pumping so hard.
Up, down, up down, up down up down……. This thing its not getting us no where

Try to imagine it:
Just imagine that a lion is after you, and your trying to push a fat man into a tiny hole.
That is the exact feeling I had, when I was pumping for my life to get that water out.

Time 10:45:30secs A WAKE REACHES us. Its over….
Kayak completely waterlogs….

Time 10:45:45secs
My complete Bow is pointing almost straight down into the water; my stern was 75degrees up. My outrigger acting a pendulum for the kayak. I immediately picture the Titanic when my stern was completely up in the air.

Time 10:45:50secs

I try to find my wallet and keys as my hatch was wide open as it went under water

Time 10:45:55 sec

I look for my son; he is already swimming toward a fishing boat that is anchored 100ft away.

I look at my son, I look at my kayak, I look at my son, I look at my kayak.

If I was Lots wife (bible account) I would of already be turned to salt.

Scared, I start swimming after my son. In horrid fear I imagined Davey’s Jones locker taking my kayak down. I unzip my vest and grab my whistle, and start swimming and blowing my whistle to get the boaters attention.

The Fisherman pulls up his anchor and start motoring towards us.
My boy turns around and says DAD they see us!

I swim after my boy and grab him as I pull him ever closer to the boat.

Time 10:50

Two unknown fisherman come to our rescue. We get up onto his boat and they ask us…. What happened….???? (how the heck do I know I was in distress)
Kayak got waterlogged, nothing I could do to save it. The fisherman gives my boy a red towel to dry off.

I look back at my kayak, and its completely capsized, all my rods and go pros and batteries are facing Davie locker…

How fast the ocean can take it away I said.
I was immediately reminded of Ryan story when he got over flooded in the back side of Catalina.

The boater pulls up to the kayak and grabs what was floating around. Kayak had to be towed upside down for over a mile. Completely water logged.

There comes a time in every mans life, where he has to make a decision to call his wife.

That time had come….

Call to the wife:
Hi sweetie, there has been an emergency. We had to get rescued, I think I lost my wallet and keys. Bring the spare and extra clothes for Jonah.

My wife said, she had to drive home to get the clothes and spare as she was out doing chorus.

I am so dead, I told myself.

My son, told me “DAD that was crazy, as I was swimming I was thinking where the sharks were.”
Not one tear in his eyes, my boy was filled with adrenaline. He was in survivor mode.

We finally get to the boat dock, and thanked the boater for coming to the rescue.
It took 6 men to pull the kayak out of the water.

Thank you everyone for your kindness and help.

IT’S A miracle.
One, two, three, four, five… ALL MY RODS AND REELS ARE HERE….

My wallets and keys didn’t float away.

I called my wife not to come, that I still had them. She was relieved and my son spoke to her.

My son finally went to the rest room. It took almost 30 mins for the automatic bilge pump to pump all the water out or so it felt. (what failed a connector had disengaged)

Cost of accident $85.00

Lost a pelican case with a 12v 10amp battery in it, and some weights.

No cracks, no holes in the kayak. Did a complete water test for over 2 hours.

How did the water get in looking at the video it dawned on me…..

I will tell you…

I recently purchased a memory foam cushion for my butt, which blocks the two scupper holes behind my butt. The other two? My son put his feet on them and slowed the drainage of the water. Where did the water go…. Into the middle hatch that was not closed correctly.

My son arrived home and jumped into the swimming pool, I asked my phone if he wants to go again. He said yes, but not tomorrow i need more time.

Mother in law arrived and told me to leave my grandson and for me to get out.

washed my stuff for like 4 hours ....

Are you prepared… I wasn't.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:30 PM   #2
Bennyblanco
Ironman

Great story

Thanks for sharing, I had similar situation at the same place. Had to call the coast guard for help. Hobie kayak hole was puncture where the drive rest. Middle of January ice cold water. Lost all my gear. Things can get ugly pretty dammmm fast. glad you 2 are ok.
Bennyblanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:33 PM   #3
Orca Winfrey

Wow! Thanks for the reminder that no matter how prepared we think we are, there is always the little something that can make things go to hell in an instant. Your experience proves that PFDs are the first line of safety. POLA can be a beast. Glad you and your son are fine. He's sounds like a fantastic kid. Hope the wife wasn't too mad.
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:01 PM   #4
King Saba

Holy crap is a HUGE understatement. I'm extremely glad that you and your boy are safe. I take it that you have a Malibu stealth? The damn hatches leak progressively in such a subtle manner that you almost don't notice until there's a good amount of water in the hull.

It was a very unexpected situation, but you guys made it out safe with minimal gear loss and one hell of a story to tell at parties. And, to that, I think that is the best situation that one can hope for. This passion of ours is packed with an endless array of fun and satisfaction, but like anything in life there are risks and kayaking is no exception. Pretty harsh of the in-law to say that to you.

"All men die, but few ever really live", is what I believe in. But, hey who am I to say. I'm just some wild eye 20 something year old who likes to see the optimistic side of things.

To future safe trips for you and your boy.

And Sewer winds SUCK! Damn things turn on like a light switch at times.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:56 PM   #5
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

You probably carry more safety gear than anyone here yet equipment failure, unexpected events, and panic still caused a dangerous incident. I think everyone that reads your story will learn something that may help them better prepare for an emergency situation on the water. I took my flotation out of my previous kayak and haven't put it inside my new kayak yet, which I will do now before my next outing. Thanks for reminding us how fast things can go bad and glad you and your son made it home.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:22 AM   #6
theluckypig

how great to find out your son is a warrior!!! glad this is just another "i almost died" story to tell to your grandkids.... happy that you are safe and sound.
theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:31 AM   #7
OCPhisher

Wow. Thank you for sharing. That hits home, because I fish in tandem kayak with my son all the time. Glad to hear you're all safe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
OCPhisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:37 AM   #8
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

wow.... That's a scary situation to be in. Glad everyone is ok. I lost my whistle the other day. Gonna buy another one today!

Todd
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:17 AM   #9
Hunters Pa

Thank you for posting! We are venturing out into an unforgiving environment. No fish is worth risking not returning to your family that is depending on you for so much. Bad enough to face an emergency alone, I can't imagine how it must have been being out there with your son. HUGE kudos for being prepared. Your son just learned the importance of proper preparation and planning for the unexpected.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:42 AM   #10
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Man that had me on the edge of my seat.... Thanks for sharing! Thank god you and your son made it out safe!

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:04 AM   #11
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Great writeup and really appreciate the reminder of how fast things can go south, even to the best.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:25 AM   #12
Harry Hill

this is making me make up a safety list
Old 06-10-2016, 10:59 AM   #13
Harry Hill

I think this would be the video we haven't seen yet. I'm glad it all turned out okay. I really had to laugh though when I read about you trying to figure out what was going wrong but your boy just abandoned ship and took off for rescue. Smart kid, let dad work out the details, he's getting in a boat.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:28 AM   #14
radastaff

Glad you guys are ok.

those winds can get nasty there
I had a tough day getting back once

dealing with the wife
lots of honey-doos coming up
for ya's
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:29 PM   #15
Dee84cali

God is great! Glad ur ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dee84cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:44 PM   #16
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Lets see the video

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:09 PM   #17
DanaPT

Dangerous shit. The ocean doesn't care about you your kids goals plans or dreams.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:43 PM   #18
YakDout
Brandon

At least you both were wearing PFDs and didnt become part of another statistic. I would say besides checking the weather reports before hand you were pretty prepared.

YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:48 AM   #19
Fishin' Magician

Damn, you were very lucky that there were boaters nearby! Wow, quite a story.

I had a similar experience in a float tube out on Lake Crowley on Opening Day 10 years or so ago. Water temp was very cold, just after ice-out. Air temp was below freezing. But it was Opening Day of fishing season and we were itching to get out on the water.

It was nice and calm in the pre-dawn hours with ice still on the edges of the lake. Caught a few fish early. Winds suddenly came up later in the day, and all boats got off the water (small craft advisory). I found myself almost entirely alone with just my brother in law who was in his float tube a couple of hundred yards away, too far away to be of any assistance as he'd have to kick straight into the teeth of the wind to reach me.

My tube started losing air first in one of the chambers, and then in the other. Started to slowly sink and was totally at the mercy of the wind and the wind waves that were almost 3' high. Was being carried into the middle of the lake by the high wind. After what seemed like an eternity and with an incredible amount of effort was finally able to kick back to water shallow enough to stand up. I was totally and completely exhausted and doubt that I could have lasted another 10 minutes. Turned out that the seals on the inside of the both chambers had rotted after having been stored in the rafters in the garage all that winter. They held air just fine at home, but I should have checked them better before heading on the trip. My fault entirely and I almost paid a very heavy price indeed for being so complacent about it.

A harrowing experience and one that I will never forget. I now ride a kayak instead. But it just goes to show that emergency situations do and will come up at any time. BE PREPARED!
Old 06-11-2016, 08:22 PM   #20
Orca Winfrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
At least you both were wearing PFDs and didnt become part of another statistic. I would say besides checking the weather reports before hand you were pretty prepared.

I'm sure he did check forecasts. POLA winds are often way worse than the forecasts. I've had firsthand experience with that.
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote