Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-20-2016, 05:13 PM   #1
Ojos_raros

Few questions about the Revolution 16

after 13 years on a Tarpon 160i, Im thinking about upgrading to a Revolution 16. Couple questions first... accessing the front hatch to lay down big fish inside is pretty easy or any issues there? Can that hatch hold say 2 50 lb sea bass? will 8 ft rods fit in the hatch? Also if using the kayak without the drive, does extra water enter the seat area? About the seat, looks like it sits higher. I know if I use a cushion on my Tarpon, it becomes more unstable. Is the same true for the R16? Lastly, how fast can you go at a comfortable rhythm? thanks for any and all info!!

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment -Buddha
Ojos_raros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:26 PM   #2
iethinker

Related Post Here

Good post here from Steveooo....

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=24483
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:33 PM   #3
Deamon

I had an outback, a revolution and now a PA14, mostly pluses to each and a few minuses as well. Bow has zero heavy storage to all 3 and no space for rods due to Mirage Drive molding and other interior stuff. Plus any heavy weight on the bow will cause Probs if you're landing in the surf. PA has beautiful rod storage inside but on top. Also great if you do the lobster thing. Revolution has slightly better speed but strong dudes on a PA14 could easily stay w me while on the Revolution. Traps on a Revo is a bigger challenge but doable.
Qty and quality of fish much easier stored on the PA but there are "spaces" to be found on the Revo and OutB. Revo's the least stable but if you're well balanced, should not be a prob. Easiest to punch through surf too. Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:29 PM   #4
Ojos_raros

so can you fit WSB slobs in the hatch? If not, where can you lay them on the 16?

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment -Buddha
Old 06-20-2016, 07:57 PM   #5
Deamon

The head pulls up on the side of your seat/thigh or literally on your lap. The tail is dropped in towards your bow/between the mirage drive and the hull. Depends on the size of the fish. I have had to pull the mirage drive out and paddled in when they're big big. Seals will def grab them so too risky to leave in the water for very long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (51.7 KB, 177 views)
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Old 06-20-2016, 08:08 PM   #6
Deamon

Here's a PA14 with fish tucked in the sides. The Revolution has less space but same concept. With help from a buddy, or real balance, you can tuck smaller fish on the sides of your bait tank using your rear bungees too. Doesn't work for larger fish. Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (67.6 KB, 175 views)

Old 06-21-2016, 12:51 PM   #7
skrilla

First world problems.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:43 PM   #8
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojos_raros View Post
after 13 years on a Tarpon 160i, Im thinking about upgrading to a Revolution 16. Couple questions first... accessing the front hatch to lay down big fish inside is pretty easy or any issues there? Can that hatch hold say 2 50 lb sea bass? will 8 ft rods fit in the hatch? Also if using the kayak without the drive, does extra water enter the seat area? About the seat, looks like it sits higher. I know if I use a cushion on my Tarpon, it becomes more unstable. Is the same true for the R16? Lastly, how fast can you go at a comfortable rhythm? thanks for any and all info!!
I don't typically put fish in the front hatch. Behind me in the tank well, or in my lap is where they go. If you wanted to put a fish in there, it would fit...and your yak would stink

8 ft+ rods will fit through the front hatch, but not easily. I only stow them in there if the likelihood of a bad yardsale is high.

As far as stability and the new seat, they lowered the deck where the seat is. The lower center of gravity makes it very stable in the low position. I don't put my seat in the high position, but haven't really felt the need to either. No matter how you slice it, the new seat is a million times better than the previous seat. Best part about the upgrade is that the seat is dry.

If you were comfortable in the 160i, I think you'l REALLY like the Revo 16.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:57 PM   #9
Ojos_raros

thanks for all your info, I appreciate it!!

Steve, so what is your average speed at a comfortable pace?

Old 06-22-2016, 08:47 PM   #10
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojos_raros View Post
thanks for all your info, I appreciate it!!

Steve, so what is your average speed at a comfortable pace?
4.5 to 5 mph without pushing it too hard. I'm not out there looking for exercise Not sure too many yaks would beat the revo 16 an a race to a bird school though...
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote