Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Buy, Sell, or Trade Kayak Fishing Gear

Old 08-24-2016, 10:22 AM   #1
Fomen

Kayak Batteries for sale

I have several CSB GP-12170NB 12V 17AH sealed lead acid batteries for sale. These are awesome batteries. They are designed to be used in a UPS, so they are extremely efficient. You can run your FF/GPS, lights, and your bait pump simultaneously with this battery- and you can run them ALL DAY LONG!!! The dimensions are 7.1" x 6.6" x 3", and the weight is 12#'s. They are 2x's as big a the standard lead acid batteries used in a kayak auxiliary application. But like I said, you can run everything you need to run with these batteries, and have juice to spare at the end of the day. Here is a picture:

They average $45 per battery on the internet. Amazon shows it as $30, but is charging $17 for shipping. I'm selling them for $30 a piece. They will serve you well for years. I have a surplus of them, so that's why I'm getting rid of them. They've all been recharged and recalibrated with a smart charger, so they are like new and are ready to go. Let me know if you're interested.

Also, If you like to run your bait pump on 6V instead of 12V, I can make you an inline voltage dropper for an additional $15. It will be completely waterproof.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lead Acid Battery.jpg (33.5 KB, 203 views)
Fomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:05 PM   #2
Raskal311

Manufacture date? Are they new or pulled from a UPS?
Old 08-24-2016, 12:08 PM   #3
Raskal311

Also your location?
Old 08-24-2016, 05:18 PM   #4
Fomen

Pulled

Pulled from a UPS. I work for a local telecom company and my crew handles the 911 Call Centers. We recently upgraded all of their systems, and we put in brand new equipment (routers, switches, desktop computers, phones, and UPS's). All equipment is replaced regardless of how new or old it was. This UPS was only used for a year. It was a smart UPS so it constantly trickle charged and calibrated the batteries. They are as good as new. I own a Genius Battery charger that goes through a very complex charging cycle. It will actually restore life to batteries. I used my charger on them as well. These batteries are designed to be charged and discharged, and that's exactly how they were treated. They work FLAWLESSLY! You will get years of usage out of them.

Location is Kearny Mesa (work), and National City (east of the 805- home). If you're interested, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my number.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:21 PM   #5
Raskal311

thanks for the information I'm actually asking for a friend who just picked up a Revo. he's going to go with a new one instead but thanks anyway
Old 08-26-2016, 06:20 AM   #6
Fomen

Batteries run great

I just ran a 12v cooling fan on one of the batteries for 24 hours. When I came in this morning, the fan had slowed down a bit, but it was still spinning away. Fan draws .26 amps. So if you have reservations about how long the battery can run your auxiliaries, you need not. I will outlast your day on the water.

When I hooked up my battery charger to recharge it, the charger indicated it still had between 50-75% charge.

Last edited by Fomen; 08-26-2016 at 07:14 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:06 AM   #7
John M

How long will it run a HDS 5 with GPS?
John M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:22 AM   #8
Fomen

ALL DAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M View Post
How long will it run a HDS 5 with GPS?
Brother, It will run your FF/GPS all day long. It will also run your bait pump at the same time, ALL DAY LONG! If you're fishing from a Hobie, then you're probably running the bait tank on the 6 volt battery that goes with it. I've heard that the 500 GPH Tsunami bait pump beats the crap out of the bait in the Hobie bait tank if you try to run it on 12 volts. So running it on 6 volts cuts the flow rate down to about 150-200 GPH. I have made a simple electrolytic device with 2, 500 ohm resistors that steps the voltage down to 6 volts. You can run 2 leads from the battery. The lead for the FF/GPS will use 12 volts, and the bait tank can run through the voltage stepper to drop the voltage from 12 to 6 volts. Trust me, 150-200 GPH is more than enough oxygenated water for your small bait tank on your kayak. The device I made is encapsulated in casting resin. It's completely waterproof. If interested in that as well, let me know.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:01 PM   #9
Fomen

voltage stepper

Here is a picture of the voltage step down device I made. It's a pretty simple electrolytic component. It's basically a couple of resistors in series. Then I encapsulate it in a 2 part casting resin. It's impervious to water. The battery I have it hooked up to is 12.9 VDC. The output of the component is 6.6 VDC.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Step down resistor.jpg (56.4 KB, 73 views)
Old 08-26-2016, 05:44 PM   #10
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fomen View Post
Here is a picture of the voltage step down device I made. It's a pretty simple electrolytic component. It's basically a couple of resistors in series. Then I encapsulate it in a 2 part casting resin. It's impervious to water. The battery I have it hooked up to is 12.9 VDC. The output of the component is 6.6 VDC.

Sounds like a simple voltage divider. If it is, it's very inefficient and shouldn't be used as a power supply for a load. Every bit of current used by the pump also has to run through a resistor, and all that wasted power is dissipated as heat.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:01 PM   #11
Fomen

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
Sounds like a simple voltage divider. If it is, it's very inefficient and shouldn't be used as a power supply for a load. Every bit of current used by the pump also has to run through a resistor, and all that wasted power is dissipated as heat.
It depends on the size of the resistors (actual size, not ohms rating). I used large 500 ohm resistors. But, just to be sure I'll run a load on it. I have a infrared Lazer gun. I'll shoot the temp at the start and every 30 minutes for a couple of hours. Heat is always a byproduct of energy, so I wont be surprised if it heats up a little bit. We'll see what the result is.