Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2014, 03:31 PM   #1
Robm422
Junior

Malibu Stealth 12 taking on water

Hi,
Newbie here with a question. I recently bought a malibu stealth12 and have noticed that it takes in a lot of water. I was fishing the other day for about 4 hours in about 2 foot chop. I installed a bilge pump, thinking i wouldn't really ever use it, but flipped on after a couple of hours and it pumped out a ton of water! I couldn't believe it, had to be maybe 2-3 gallons. Anybody else have any similar experiences with these kayaks?
Robm422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:45 PM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

Yep that's normal. The side hatches leak, you might want to take them off and reseal them with some sort of sealant like goop. I always had my bilge pump go'in on my stealth when I had it.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:03 PM   #3
Fishin' Magician

I have an older Stealth 12 that I bought a couple of years ago off of a guy on CL. I get about a few ounces of water every trip, even when it's pretty dry out and not taking on too many swells. Mine doesn't have the baskets on the sides. One the right hand compartment it's completely on the inside and the other is completley opened so that you can't really put anything in there without it goling all the way down into the recesses of the yak.

My buddy has a newer Stealth 12 that has the red bags in both compartments but he seems to get a lot more water in his for some reason even though we have the exact same set up otherwise. Go figure. Mine might have a different type of seal to it so that it's a little more watertight.
Fishin' Magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:15 PM   #4
jsunmkly
Jason

I've done some research on Malibu kayaks and many were having problems with the leaks.
Especially because of the 2 side hatches that the Stealth has in the middle.
The Stealths are wide enough so that people can stand on it, which they stand on the side hatches.
It might worsen the leak over time if you use it often because the weight of your body might stretch the outer lining of the hatches.
Some people put light blocks of styrofoam inside the kayak so your weight doesnt bend the kayak, stretching the leakage.

Malibu kayaks are great kayaks whatsoever!
Old 04-21-2014, 05:02 PM   #5
Robm422
Junior

Hmmm, so the side hatches are the culprit... I will have to try and seal these up better as advised. I wonder if those front rod holders take in water too?
Old 04-21-2014, 05:16 PM   #6
jorluivil

If you do a search you might come across a thread that Frank (wiredantz) posted a while ago regarding some water sealing options. I don't recall how well it worked for him and I could be wrong but I believe he had the same kayak

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:32 PM   #7
chuckt

I have malibu x13 and the front hatch doesnt seal that well and always getting water inside. On top of that, the hatch itself has water inside. I still try to figure out how to drain it without drilling a hole.
chuckt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:54 PM   #8
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Yep the side hatches leak like mad, especially when the leaky bait tank overflows the sides from swell action or whatever. Even paddle drippings make it inside the yak. Remove the screws around the perimeter and seal it up with marine goop or cut a nice foam gasket. Once that leak is fixed then you need to fix the inner lid seal by replacing it with some weather stripping or whatever you find that works.

And Chuck I drilled a small (1/16") hole in the bottom end of the hatch for drainage. It's about the only way to drain it.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:13 PM   #9
Robm422
Junior

That bait tank is super wet, between that and the leaky side hatches, you really need a bilge pump. For the front hatch, I put window sealing foam tape around it and on the lid, it seems to help. Next project is sealing up the side hatches, and possibly trying slow down the bait tank leaks.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:39 PM   #10
tomahawk

I have a stealth 14 that leaks pretty bad. I propped the back end in air, removed the gator hatch, and ran the hose on low over every hatch and gasket. The results were interesting. The side hatch that gives access inside the hull leaked bad through the gasket between the lid and the frame. The side hatch into the "dry storage" leak really bad at the gasket between the frame and the hull. The rear hatch behind the seat leaked like no gasket was present. A close inspection showed the frame being wrapped by the hull so bad that when the when the hatch was in place a gap existed along all edges between the frame and lid. My lid is the old style with "dogs" in each corner. Tried the foam weather stripping on the rear and it helped some. I am going to try the "D" weather stripping next. The frames are riveted to the hull and drilling out the rivets is a pain in the butt.
Tom
tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:26 PM   #11
Dannowar

i have a malibu stealth 12 as a backup that i mostly loan to friends. the thing takes on so much bloody water its ridiculous.

the front hatch is gigantic. more surface area=more places to leak.

the straps/bungees that are supposed to hold it down do not hold it down tight whatsoever. one wave on the nose and here comes the deluge.

the side hatches are a complete waste of space. why even put them in if NONE of them are watertight?

i think malibu really needs to do some redesigns for 2015

and just so this post isnt completely negative....

the stone color is cool

it tracks well

the drink holder is nice

should i ever buy another kayak, it will not be a stealth 12
Old 04-21-2014, 10:46 PM   #12
ful-rac
Emperor

Bilge pump

If you have a stealth and it leaks alot... i think its probably best to install a bilge pump, because it seems these things leak no matter what. I loved mine when i had it but without the pump...it would be down right dangerous to use in open water.

Heres what i did with mine a few years back, and it worked pretty well. Its funny how this topic always comes back up every once in awhile...

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ric+bilge+pump
Old 04-22-2014, 05:20 AM   #13
Fishin' Magician

That having been said, I love my Stealth 12 as it is very stable. I've never tried to stand on it though, so far I've not had a need to. But I wanted something that wasn't going to flip every time I tried to cast.

A few weeks ago while I was fishing San Diego Bay, some guy in a big powerboat ((with a whole 'crew' of cute women as guests) decided that it would be fun to see how close and how fast he could get to me while I was in the middle, fast to a large fish. The wake that he was putting out was huge, or at least it seemed as though it was to me at the time. I had to quickly jam the rod under my thigh and turn my kayak into the bow wave so that I could take it straight on. Good thing I did! I was almost pitched completely out of the thing, but somehow I managed to hang on and still landed the nice spotty, which proved to be the largest (and last one) of the day.

When I got back to Tidelands, I was surprised at how little water I'd taken on as that wake wave broke over the top and everything got soaked pretty good.

So check your seals and see if that helps. Malibu Kayaks is located in So. Cal. and you can take it directly to them. I bet that they'd take a look at fixing the problem for you if it persists.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #14
Robm422
Junior

What an a-hole! I can't stand when you are fishing in any size boat and someone does the high speed drive by way to close. Anyhow, check my hatches and see if anything can be done to imorove it. So glad I installed a bilge pump!!
Old 04-22-2014, 10:22 PM   #15
Limits
Kayak Fanatic

Excellent feedback. The knowledge of the members on this board never ceases to amaze me.

And that write up by ful rac on the in hull bilge pump system was awesome. It's got my creative juices flowing for a possible DIY project on my ride as well.

Thanks for the inspiration.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:26 AM   #16
Fishin' Magician

I'd suggest taking to the Malibu Kayak factory. They're in So. Cal. but I can't remember what city they're in. Chatsworth? I've been there a couple of times and they seemed helpful enough. They might be willing to take a look at it and may even redo the seals around the hatches for you.

Either that or take it to Andy at OEX Sunset Beach and see if he can fix it for you. Leaks of any kind are not good, but if it leaks a lot, that's not very safe.

I also like the idea of the bilge pump and may look into that myself. Thanks for the suggestion and the tips on how to install! Sounds like a great DIY project for a weekend.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:16 PM   #17
tomahawk

Malibu Kayak is in Paramount off Jackson street and my experiences with them have been great. My kayaks are blems off craigslist. Malibu replaced the small clear plastic cap on the bait tank lid and gave me the seat re-enforcement foam - no charge. They offered run there tap through the drain plug (threads fouled by previous owner) if I brought the kayak to their shop. I went with the compression plug. Honestly, I'd feel wrong asking them to address my leaks, as it is a blem and i am a second owner.
tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:36 AM   #18
Robm422
Junior

So i sealed up the two side hatches with marine goop and found softer gaskets to try out. Still need to seal up the bait tank, can't wait to get out there and see how much of a difference it makes.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:06 PM   #19
jsunmkly
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robm422 View Post
So i sealed up the two side hatches with marine goop and found softer gaskets to try out. Still need to seal up the bait tank, can't wait to get out there and see how much of a difference it makes.
sounds exciting
i would be very anxious too
i hope for a great results