Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2015, 09:34 AM   #1
Kardinal_84
Alaskan Lurker

More Kings and Butts!! Alaska report

Following report for Nickc5 and Greyzone who I know are making their way up to Alaska. I know of many looking at fishing Alaska, it has gotten out of hand in terms of the King Salmon closures and crazy halibut charters rule. If you just read the normal publications, you;d think it wasn't worth fishing up here anymore. Sort of true...unless you are a kayak angler!

So I have been on a little streak here. Starting last September, I have managed a king every month off my kayak which is pretty cool. Well yesterday, I managed my May king which makes it 9 consecutive months in a row.

But more for Nick and Greyzone, the halibut fishing appears to be heating up. The larger fish are still working their way into the shore but the chickens are out in full force. Yesterday, we entered a derby. Wimp powerboats couldn't launch even though kayaks could. They delayed the start so it gave us kayakers two hours of "free time". Managed maybe 6 halibut in that hour. All small with the biggest 15 pounds but they would chase bait to the surface and ht our trolled salmon gear. Should be good if this continues.

So between three kayakers we landed two limits of halibut, two kings, and a sea run dolly. The other kayaker made the mistake of catching his king first so and he didn't want to go a mile offshore to fish halibut. The other king was actually caught off a hybrid SUP which was pretty cool.

Another kayaking buddy came down as we were taking out and he managed 4 kings n one hour keeping two (he has a proxy). So the fishing is hot hot hot!!! Kings will die off in June or get shut down to protect the spawners. But the butt fishing should only get better!

Hey Grey Zone, Nick might be a tad late but you should be able to catch the tail end of this king run. If it stays like this, you HAVE to try it! Otherwise we'll get ya both out for the butts.

https://youtu.be/x-7FprZgk10
Kardinal_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:05 PM   #2
nickc5

EPIC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nickc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:30 PM   #3
FISH11

That will certainly help fill the freezer with some tasty meals. Congrats!
Old 05-18-2015, 02:34 PM   #4
grey zone

That is awesome, you have it wired. I have spent a ton on halibut fishing trips in AK but that one fish under 29" rule for charter fishing in the south central area is a deal breaker. I hope the rules for recreational halibut fishing remain unchanged.
grey zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:00 PM   #5
Kardinal_84
Alaskan Lurker

Rules are unchanged for private boats. Id say you should limit out on at least ten to fifteen pounder 75% of the time off a kayak. June through August. There are days when they just don't hit. I guess it's fishing. But for you it's probably less than 2 hour drive. And it's easy.

I know you are just getting up here but it is go time NOW!!!!!!

I'm no kid bachelor for over a month!!! Let's fish!!!!!

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
Guidesak.blogspot.com
My personal pages...I'm not a guide.
Kardinal_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:11 PM   #6
Fishin Phil

Another excellent report! Thank you for sharing with us.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:39 PM   #7
grey zone

It really looks like the fishing is good, nice followers and a combo trip. A 10-15 lb. halibut is a nice fish, good eating size. I have a couple of things to work on, a dry suit and a mirage drive, you mentioned the kayak. I can't do much next week but I think I could have it together for about this time next year.
grey zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:02 PM   #8
blitzburgh

Dude nice work!
Old 05-21-2015, 08:37 PM   #9
pbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey zone View Post
It really looks like the fishing is good, nice followers and a combo trip. A 10-15 lb. halibut is a nice fish, good eating size. I have a couple of things to work on, a dry suit and a mirage drive, you mentioned the kayak. I can't do much next week but I think I could have it together for about this time next year.
FYI, you can rent the dry suit if you are making a finite trip, rather than moving North.: http://www.kayakacademy.com/pages/rental-dry-suits

And Hey, Rudy, we connected on Facebook a while ago. I'll be fishing up in Sitka mid-June. From a charter boat again, but one of these years I want to figure out how to do some kayak fishing up there.

Sitka area non-resident King bag/possession limit is 2 in May and June again this year. I don't think there is a size limit on sport halibut, but the "slot" for non-residents to keep lings is painful (Over 30", but UNDER 35" or over 55"). Lots of beautiful fish OVER the size limit but below the trophy category. https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/Fishi...il&Area_key=12