Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2015, 07:01 PM   #1
Baja_Traveler

Point Loma & Zuniga Bass on the fly

Couldn't really decide where to go today, so dropped the PA in at Shelter Island and cruised out to the point. Fished the fly rods from the west side of Ballast Point out to just outside the MLPA boundary. Threw my anchovy rattle fly for plenty of spotties and calicos. When I had enough of the 8 weight, I grabbed the 10 weight with the big articulated sardine fly and started hammering the calicos with a few sandies mixed in. They really like that Game Changer fly - I'll have to tie some more.
Crossed over to Zuniga and tried the south side of the jetty hoping to maybe entice a halibut to the fly, but no luck. Fishing was a lot slower over there, but on the way in a big calico hammered the sardine fly and made a great run peeling line off the reel, then wrapping itself up in the seaweed next to the jetty. A little tricky getting in there close to work him out with the swell, but managed to not end up on the rocks and got him free. Nice keeper fish, but he lives to fight another day...
Beautiful day today, and not a lot of boat traffic. Only saw three other kayak fishermen out there. Sorry no pictures - forgot my phone and the GoPro - Doh..
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:20 PM   #2
corpsmanusn2001

Nice!
corpsmanusn2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:10 PM   #3
Mike scales

Nice report! Sounds like you had a blast!
Old 04-26-2015, 08:21 PM   #4
YTHunter
Carlisle

Cool report! Quite a diversion from the heavy tackle reports!
Old 04-26-2015, 08:31 PM   #5
fishing md

With all this "ON THE FLY" reports I think is time for FLYS ONLY SAN DIEGO BAY TOURNAMENT 25$ 100% pay back for biggest bass ....WHO IS IN????
fishing md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:59 AM   #6
fishja

Hey man I saw you out there! Was on the Orange Revo. Sounds like you did better than most. Zuniga was really slow. Your fly set up was BA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fishja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:16 AM   #7
Baja_Traveler

Nice talking with you on the pass by. Yea, Zuniga side was definitely slower, but it was awesome watching the F16's, F18's and the aggressor F20's all painted up in Russian colors flying over...
I'll do a fly only tournament! So long as I'm not stuck working that particular weekend...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:40 PM   #8
Flyfavorite
Junior

Fly Tourney

I'm down for that!!
Flyfavorite is offline   Reply With Quote