Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 01-22-2016, 09:15 AM   #1
Delbrugge4
Junior

Live-well pumps that are over the sides or through the scupper holes?

Hi guys, I'm building a live-well for my outback and I see people putting the hoses over the sides and also building them to go through the scupper holes. I was wondering if there was any difference as far as performance between the two? I.e. Through the scupper holes has a better water intake. Or is it just because some people don't like all the clutter of things hanging over the sides?

Thank you!
Delbrugge4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:29 AM   #2
PapaDave

I like going through the scupper holes, don't like stuff getting hung up on weeds or debris, also don't want a fish that runs down the side to get hung up on it. As for the water intake, it works for me.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:29 AM   #3
YakDout
Brandon

If you can make it work, I would definitely design to go through scupper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:37 AM   #4
igotpron
Xcoastie

Hanging a pump over the side creates noticeable drag. Next time your out just put your fist over the side and feel what you'd be adding. Scupper intake is the way to go. You can buy all the hobie livewell replacement parts and build your own, if you can't afford the hobie livewell. But used ones are usually available for 150-200 regularly.
igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:57 AM   #5
Delbrugge4
Junior

Sweet, looks like I'm going to go through the scupper. I'm going to build one for sure, but it looks like I'm going to have to get creative because all the YouTube videos about the one I want to make (vittle vault one) don't really show you how to make it, but instead just show you what the finished product was. If any of you had tips or suggestions on making it I greatly appreciate it!

Thank you for the answers so far!

Old 01-22-2016, 09:58 AM   #6
Iceman
Administrator

over the side is self priming as impeller is below water line. thru hull is below water line. Thru scupper needs a means of priming as impeller is above water line. Hobie uses a pick up tube with a 90 degree angle pointed forward. Momentum pushes water up to the impeller, once primed should run the duration of the battery, obviously a timer switch would be a bad idea in this configuration..........or any configuration IMO
Old 01-22-2016, 11:32 AM   #7
Hunters Pa

I built mine to draw from over the side as it is easier to clear anything that gets on the intake. Also, having the pump at the end of the intake hose allows me to pull it forward far enough if I need to pop it apart and clear something from inside the pump.

That said, I have learned to be careful of my line on that side. Not so much when fighting a fish, more so when I am slow trolling and make too sharp a turn, or repositioning during a drift.

No "right" answer. Just preference
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:50 AM   #8
Delbrugge4
Junior

Seems as if it's all about convenience. I'm going to go the scupper route. Has anyone seen any good how-to's online on that type of design?

Old 01-22-2016, 12:22 PM   #9
igotpron
Xcoastie

Here's what hobie parts you need to complete the intake. I see no need re inventing a perfectly good wheel

These are awesome and are a very secure way of mounting kayak accessories.

The rest are the pieces you must have to make the hobie livewell intake. If you look at some pictures of a hobie livewell should be somewhat self explanatory of how to assemble the pieces.

igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:40 PM   #10
GeauxFish

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S6_0ArktJYM this is a pretty good breakdown video on how to build one
GeauxFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bait tank, live well, scupper