Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2014, 09:28 PM   #1
Vansmack
Junior

New to kayaks

My kids (wife) got me a kayak for my birthday, so there it begins. She asked the kids what they should get me and they said something from BPS. It's their brand, the Ascend FS128T. I'm sure there are many better platforms but for the price, it seems ok for now. I had looked up many reviews on it and took take of some of its initial shortcomings, seal the hatches better, make sure all the screws are tight and anchored well, added some more tie down points, tethering lines, etc.

Took it out to Dana Point harbor Sunday, just brought one smaller pole, really just wanted to get a feel for the kayak, besides in the pool. The kids like screwing with it in there. A number of kayaks and float tubers fishing, no one killing it, pretty much just a few calico's landed. I went out past the break wall but being by myself and it being the first time I headed back to just inside the wall, fished there. Used live anchovies till they ran out, had them in one of those floating Flambeau bait contraptions, which all they seem to do is cause the bait to beat each other to death. Ended up with a small WSB and three calico's. Ran out of live bait, tried some gulp shad thing I happened to have, the last calico bit that, a nice big fat one. All released healthy for someone else to catch. Wish my son would stop taking my GoPro so I could have taken pictures.

Can't wait to go out again! Making a bait tube thanks to this site before I do!

Chris
Vansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:41 PM   #2
octico

Welcome! There is a lot of information for you on these forums. My suggestion is to search,search, search and do lots of reading. There are decades of information on these forums ...

Post when you are going out, other folks may be going out the same day as you, and from my experience most folks are eager to join you and give you some tips.

--John
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:04 PM   #3
Cbad Mike

Welcome.
Read everything you can on here.....
And show your son who's boss... Get that GoPro!