Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
budkona
Junior

n00b would like to observe...

I joined this board over a year ago with high hopes of starting a hobby of kayak fishing (even bought a 4wd 4Runner) but a bad shoulder has nixed my plans temporarily.

In the meanwhile, I'd like to observe some fisherman both getting ready to head out and also in "action" from the shore. I live in Castaic (think Magic Mountain) and am not far from Ventura/Oxnard/Santa Barbara. Could anybody recommend an active place (and a good day of week/time) to observe the process? If I need to head further south, that's Ok. At least I can get an idea as to whether or not my shoulder could handle it.

Thanks much in advance,
Bud
budkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
roadx

just try it at the house? if you can load and unload then your set.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
budkona
Junior

Thanks but I didn't buy the yak yet. And... I wonder if, once I get it in the water, is the paddling and such gonna be too much for me. Either way it will be good for me to watch some experienced kayakers in action.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
roadx

Quote:
Originally Posted by budkona View Post
Thanks but I didn't buy the yak yet. And... I wonder if, once I get it in the water, is the paddling and such gonna be too much for me. Either way it will be good for me to watch some experienced kayakers in action.

my suggestion would be to go and demo a kayak. that way you will know what you like in a yak and what you dont, also it will give you and idea how heavy the models your interested in are and what paddles the best for you. maybe peddles are the way to go??

OEX is a good place to go for a demo and talk to pro's that can make sure you have what you need.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:43 PM   #5
GregAndrew

If your shoulder injury is permanent, I would consider a Hobie peddle kayak. There are guys fishing Castaic pretty regular these days that you could probably hook up with.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:47 PM   #6
budkona
Junior

Hmmm... my pal has bad hips and he's been trying to get me to buy a Hobie with him. I'll look into that. Although I'm not into bass fishing, Castaic lake would be a good place for me to get used to the gear and "break in" my shoulder.

thanks Roadx, Greg
Old 12-25-2010, 09:49 PM   #7
Amish Ed

Hobie is definitely a good way to go if you have a bum shoulder. Then your main issue will only be loading and unloading. And definitely go and demo some yaks.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:35 AM   #8
MVC

I bought a Hobbie almost 2 years ago due to shoulder problems. I have no regrets, the Hobbie is the way to go.
MVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:34 AM   #9
Lets_Fish

Go down to Fastlane Sailing & Kayaking in Mission Bay http://www.fastlanesailing.com and take a trial run on one of their demo yaks. I'm sure they would be more then willing to help you out. Even give you loading suggestions. Map/directions and contact info on their home page.
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:40 PM   #10
budkona
Junior

thanks much to all

I appreciate the support and will try out one of the Hobies.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:53 PM   #11
mtnbykr2

I think the big positive here for you with your shoulder will most definately be the Hobie, plus when you recover you can paddle it too, but I doubt you will....lol I do want to start chasing stripers at Castaic and Piramid...
pm me if you go out on a weekend I am there....b
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:59 PM   #12
dorado50

I've had three knee surgeries. My knees have never felt better since I got a hobie....
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:32 PM   #13
budkona
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
I think the big positive here for you with your shoulder will most definately be the Hobie, plus when you recover you can paddle it too, but I doubt you will....lol I do want to start chasing stripers at Castaic and Piramid...
pm me if you go out on a weekend I am there....b
Sounds great and the stripers sound like fun. I cracked up when more than one bass fisherman told me that the best time to get the stripers was when they dump stock trout at the dam. I guess that's "chow time" for the bass, heh heh