Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-09-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
cjthomas

Newps 8/7

I'm a little north of most of you San Diego fisherman, but I frequent these boards so I'll make a contribution.

Headed south of Newport harbor on Sat. around 7. Plenty of bait to be made just outside the harbor in about 50 ft (lots of mini to large macks). Started heading south in about 80 ft of water trolling a mini mack on a ringed hook with egg sinker, spectra and fluorocarbon, when I got a nice bite. I reached back, put the reel in free spool, took the pole out of the holder and let the fish run with the bait. Started counting 1...2...3... then the fish really started peeling line off so I threw it in gear, bracing myself for the instant bendo.

As soon as I set the hook I hear something break the surface and I look up to see a pup thresher flying through the air...awesome! Worked him to the boat in short order and made an attempt at a pic. The little guy decided he had enough and made a good run. I let him take some line as I enjoyed my first real sleigh ride (it was more like doing doughnuts). Worked him back to the boat again for another attempt at a pic, went to grab a glove and the little guy finally broke through my fluoro leader.

The rest of the day was somewhat slow. I caught a nice sandy when I dropped an iron on some interesting marks. That fish was released as well.

Highlights of the day were my first thresher and amazing performance of my Hbird 728. Now I know what you guys are talking about when you say you can spot your iron on the screen...totally cool!

-Chris
cjthomas is offline   Reply With Quote