Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2010, 04:35 PM   #1
dtownfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgax65 View Post
Bob's (DSAFETY) very slick transducer mount really got my attention: http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ead.php?t=6508

Even though I had pretty good results with Gooped transducers, I've been thinking about doing a wet mount for quite some time. Seeing Bob's elegant and simple mount made me want to give it a try. As luck would have it, I had just recently purchased a Stealth 14 and it gave me a chance to try out a wet mount. There were only two problems: 1) I have a Lowrance FF and the transducer is absolutely ginourmous, 2) I don't have the engineering/fabrication skills of Bob. With these two handicaps I launched headlong into my project.

I wish that Lowrance would make a smaller dual frequency transducer. The skimmer transducer that came with my Lowrance 527 FF/GPS is about the size and shape of an ironing board. It won't fit in a 3" PVC pipe. It won't even fit in the 4" ABS coupler that I ran out and bought before measuring the transducer. I had to use a little of my smarts and innovative thinking to come up with a solution. Unfortunately, I was a little short of smarts and innovation this week, so this is what I came up with.

I figured that it would be really cool to be able to see the water in the transducer well. After all, you have to know how much water is in there and if it's turning green. My solution; Lexan. That's right; Lexan. Why use a box that you find in your parts bin when you can spend two days building the damn thing.

Its a little bit on the clunky side. Not very elegant or clean looking, but it has transparent sides (until the algae turns it a murky green). Kinda looks like my old erector set that I had when I was 9.

Like a vintage Soviet tank, this thing is ugly, but strong. Aluminum angle on the corners, plenty of Goop and bolts-bolts everywhere.

It actually looks pretty badass in that photo. Kind of like the Enterprise in the space dock. Trust me; Scotty didn't build this monstrosity.....more like one of the dorks in the red shirt who gets whacked when he beams down to the planet surface.

I couldn't trust this install to Goop. I used 3M 5200 to attach it to the hull (CJ recommended this). I roughed up the hull with coarse-grit sandpaper first, to get better adhesion.

We'll see if it is still attached when I open it up in the morning.

BTW: That is a fill plug on the forward end. I will be sealing the cable pass-through with a rubber bung and Gooping it into place.

How did it work? I am working on the contour for my wet mount tonight. Did the contour of the bottom allow for a good reading with your unit?
dtownfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #2
CDFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownfan View Post
How did it work? I am working on the contour for my wet mount tonight. Did the contour of the bottom allow for a good reading with your unit?
So I just got a used lowrance mark 4 from a friend,
And I was wondering how to mount it. I like the plexiglass box
Idea you have but I don't know if you fill the box with water or if it's
Just sitting in there by its self
CDFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDFisher View Post
So you want to make a wet mount but don't know if you should put water in it?
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
So you want to make a wet mount but don't know if you should put water in it?
Hahahah
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #5
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDFisher View Post

Come on!!! That's so....Two thousand and ten!!!

I remember that box...looks like too much trouble to make and maintain...not sure if anybody uses transducer boxes like that anymore...

Try the electrical putty method...seems like from what people say it works. You don't like that then just goop it. You don't like that drill a hole..You don't like that, then buy a kayak that's lowrance ready.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Come on!!! That's so....Two thousand and ten!!!

I remember that box...looks like too much trouble to make and maintain...not sure if anybody uses transducer boxes like that anymore...

Try the electrical putty method...seems like from what people say it works. You don't like that then just goop it. You don't like that drill a hole..You don't like that, then buy a kayak that's lowrance ready.

I used the electrical putty when I installed my HDS-5 transducer and so far its held up better than I expected. My kayak has traveled in heat upside down many times and the transducer has yet to fell off or get loose.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
619-SWIM-DOG

My transducer for FF

The fish finder I use is 12v. Most but not all AA are 1.5v so 8 AA worked great. This set up last me a couple of days on the water. I started using rechargeable batteries(make sure they are 1.5v) so it would be more cost effective and less damaging on the environment. You couldmuse this set up for any FF. Its a simple way to do it and have good results. PVC, mariners goop, sand paper and a rubber cap and screws. There are many like it but this one is mine. It works really well and just use a spong to soak up the water after your done. Good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (52.1 KB, 1404 views)

Last edited by 619-SWIM-DOG; 11-06-2013 at 01:44 PM.
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #8
619-SWIM-DOG

Pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (67.3 KB, 1385 views)
Old 11-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #9
619-SWIM-DOG

Pic 3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (50.5 KB, 1379 views)

Tags
kayak fishing inovations, kayak rigging ideas