Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2014, 11:44 AM   #1
yak-fishing-socal
kayak fishing socal

New paddle

So I was browsing the web looking for a shorter paddle now that I don't have such a wide kayak..I thought what can it hurt to look...long story short I got a new carbon paddle really cheap hope its what I need I'm going from a 240 to 230cm but for the price I don't think I could go wrong 83 bucks out the door for a carbon shaft and it has Posi-Lok...worst case situation I have a nice back up paddle..this is what I picked up

AquaBound Sting Ray Hybrid Kayak Paddle - Posi-Lok
yak-fishing-socal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:58 AM   #2
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Looks like a good deal to me. I have had the AquaBound Manta Ray for about a billion years now. Had a problem with their locking system on two occasions which they fixed for the price of shipping. Last trip to them they upgraded to their Posi-Lok system and it is the bomb.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:10 PM   #3
jorluivil

I don't do much paddling but wouldn't a longer paddle be more beneficial? Longer paddle equals longer strokes vs. A shorter paddle with shorter strokes?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:55 PM   #4
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

The theory as I understand it is that through the middle 1/3 of your stroke you the most power and optimal tracking you want only the blade and very little shaft in the water, being as close to the gunnell as possible with the shaft as close to perpendicular to the water as possible. Under those rules, you will need a shorter paddle on a thinner yak. With a longer paddle on my yak, I just feel I am flailing at the water and not tracking well. If I was ever to get out of kayak fishing and get a PA I would put oar locks on that sucker.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Old 12-09-2014, 12:59 PM   #5
ful-rac
Emperor

ooooooo.....welcome to the darkside rossman!!! !
Old 12-09-2014, 01:28 PM   #6
yak-fishing-socal
kayak fishing socal

^^Hahahah. "If I was ever to get out of kayak fishing and get a PA" lol..
But he is right longer isn't always better I went from a 34" to a 29" wide yak and can see the difference with my paddle..so hopefully this 230cm does the job and I can be more efficient
Old 12-09-2014, 02:24 PM   #7
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

230 should be about right, if not a bit long. My yak is just short of 30" wide and I run a 220. Any fine tuning from this point would have to take shoulder width and arms length into account. Nice purchase
— Herman Melville

Old 12-09-2014, 03:37 PM   #8
Aznronin

Depending on your height. If your kayak is less than 30" wide than yes your probably going to be using a 230 for most average sized people. The lighter weight of a carbon shaft is well worth the money. You will feel like your on a vacation. Lol
Aznronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:24 PM   #9
yak-fishing-socal
kayak fishing socal

Sweet can't wait to get it in 3 days
This will be my lightest paddle ever
Old 02-09-2015, 06:14 AM   #10
yak-fishing-socal
kayak fishing socal

If anyone was wondering its a great fit love how much lighter it is and how it doesn't feel like I'm splashing the top of the water..the size is perfect.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:17 AM   #11
FleshandBlood

You're going to love having a new paddle. I just recently upgraded my paddle and WOW what a difference it's made. Experiencing less fatigue and a more powerful stroke and glide is worth every penny!
FleshandBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:30 AM   #12
Big Wave Dave

I tried a graphite paddle instead of the old aluminum shaft one that I use and couldn't get used to the lack of weight. It felt like paddling with a feather and intuitively felt like I couldn't get a good push from it. I went back to the heavier model. Yes, something must be wrong with me.
Big Wave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:42 AM   #13
MrPatrick

Dave stick with the lighter one. It will take a while for your muscle memory to change. Huge difference in performance once you get used to it. I went from a super heavy cobra paddle to an Onno that only weighs 20oz. Took a while to feel right but I would never go back.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:38 AM   #14
ccacher1

I have a carbon Aqua Bound and love it.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:16 PM   #15
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPatrick View Post
Dave stick with the lighter one. It will take a while for your muscle memory to change. Huge difference in performance once you get used to it. I went from a super heavy cobra paddle to an Onno that only weighs 20oz. Took a while to feel right but I would never go back.
Did you buy your paddle from Patrick when he was in San Diego or Hawaii? How long did it take to get your paddle?

I had an Onno paddle and it was nice but had the wider fins. A narrower one would be perfect for me.

I now have a Werner Camano and it is very nice but not as light as the Onno.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:23 PM   #16
MrPatrick

New paddle

I bought it from a kayak shop that was changing owners. I was looking at the carbon paddles in the shop and noticed used paddles with the rental stuff. I asked the "New Owner" what he wanted for the used ONNO. He said since the new carbon shafted paddles inside were over $100, "How about $50?" I said, "$50?"
He returned with "Ok $40." I took out two twenties and have enjoyed it's incredible lightness ever since.
It is a 220cm length with a single piece shaft. It takes up more room because it won't break down, but that makes it lighter without any flex.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:26 PM   #17
skrilla

I use that same model Aquabound paddle and love it. Works great as a shovel too.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:33 PM   #18
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPatrick View Post
I bought it from a kayak shop that was changing owners. I was looking at the carbon paddles in the shop and noticed used paddles with the rental stuff. I asked the "New Owner" what he wanted for the used ONNO. He said since the new carbon shafted paddles inside were over $100, "How about $50?" I said, "$50?"
He returned with "Ok $40." I took out two twenties and have enjoyed it's incredible lightness ever since.
It is a 220cm length with a single piece shaft. It takes up more room because it won't break down, but that makes it lighter without any flex.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Paddle deal of the century!
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote