Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2008, 08:02 AM   #1
dorf

I'm Pissed

The weather wasn't good enough for me to get my kayak out but I wanted to wet a line.
So I went out to the North Island Pier. The bite was slow. A couple of the guys said that a few short buts were caught earlier. What they didn't say was that one or two were kept!
I set up my gear near the shallows and sent out a chovie. I walked to pier wit my swim bait casting out where I could. As I got to the end I noticed an unattended bucket with a tail partially sticking out. Of course I looked. I saw a dead halibut that was obviously under 22" I asked who had caught this fish and no one would own up to it. What a chicken chit! I continue to work the pier and get back to my bait line to find a small sting ray on my line. I released that and continue to work the pier. After about 2hours there was nothing. I cleaned up my area and left. As I was leaving I stopped at the sink to was my hands. To my horror I find another obviously short but in the sink!
The pier at North Island is not public access so you must have a license to fish there. If you have a license you should know the rules! If you have ever been to the North Island Pier you will know that there are DFG measuring tapes on the sink and on the table at the end of the pier. There is no excuse for not knowing how long a fish is. If you don't know what the limit is ask. Some one will know. If you're going to keep your mouth shut about catching a short fish you know you are WRONG. I know that the rules can some times seam a little trivial but the rules are not there to make your life hard but to make sure we all have enough fish for our kids and their kids to catch. I tried to let the people know this but got the cold shoulder. It pisses me off that I try to follow the rules and get looked down on and when people break the rules and get away with it. This is a said commentary on our society! I am not an "Activist" but when I see something wrong I have to say something so here you have it.
Enough of my rant. Lets go fish.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:09 AM   #2
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Dorf

I see the same disregard for fishing regulations at
the OB pier.
I fish there with my kids a few times a week, and
see people keep anything they catch.

DFG is way to understaffed in Southern California.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:22 AM   #3
mrJB

Call on it immediately (they may get there in time):
1-888 DFG-CALTIP
(888-334-2258)
mrJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 02:08 PM   #4
sdjiricek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorf View Post
The weather wasn't good enough for me to get my kayak out but I wanted to wet a line.
So I went out to the North Island Pier. The bite was slow. A couple of the guys said that a few short buts were caught earlier. What they didn't say was that one or two were kept!
I set up my gear near the shallows and sent out a chovie. I walked to pier wit my swim bait casting out where I could. As I got to the end I noticed an unattended bucket with a tail partially sticking out. Of course I looked. I saw a dead halibut that was obviously under 22" I asked who had caught this fish and no one would own up to it. What a chicken chit! I continue to work the pier and get back to my bait line to find a small sting ray on my line. I released that and continue to work the pier. After about 2hours there was nothing. I cleaned up my area and left. As I was leaving I stopped at the sink to was my hands. To my horror I find another obviously short but in the sink!
The pier at North Island is not public access so you must have a license to fish there. If you have a license you should know the rules! If you have ever been to the North Island Pier you will know that there are DFG measuring tapes on the sink and on the table at the end of the pier. There is no excuse for not knowing how long a fish is. If you don't know what the limit is ask. Some one will know. If you're going to keep your mouth shut about catching a short fish you know you are WRONG. I know that the rules can some times seam a little trivial but the rules are not there to make your life hard but to make sure we all have enough fish for our kids and their kids to catch. I tried to let the people know this but got the cold shoulder. It pisses me off that I try to follow the rules and get looked down on and when people break the rules and get away with it. This is a said commentary on our society! I am not an "Activist" but when I see something wrong I have to say something so here you have it.
Enough of my rant. Lets go fish.
You talking about the pier on base or the Ferry Landing Pier? If It's the pier on base do you need military ID to fish it?
sdjiricek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:10 PM   #5
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjiricek View Post
You talking about the pier on base or the Ferry Landing Pier? If It's the pier on base do you need military ID to fish it?
The pier on the Northwest side of NAS North Island (in front of the tank farm) requires DoD ID to fish. The ferry landing is a public pier.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:12 PM   #6
sterling

A few years ago I was taking a new salesman on a ride along in P oint Loma. I decided to see if the Golden Pelican cafe was open to try to sell them an ad. While on the Shelter Island Pier we walked around looking into peoples buckets. Mind you we had on suits and ties. Anyway there was a gentleman there with a spottie in a bucket that was no way tall enough. I said hey it looks like your Spottie is too short. The guy feined not knowing english very well. Yet he said something Calico blah blah. Now the guy I was with was well over 6' and well over 200lbs standing there looking solemn in sunglasses. I then told him what he had in the scientific name for Spotted Bay bass said they need to be 12". He looked at me with disgust and impatience and scowled at me who are you?! I stared back at this low life and said. DFG. The guy immediately shut TF Up and turned away with terror in his eyes. I turned and walked off the pier trying to hold in my amusement until we got in the car. The guy asked me what I said to the law breaking foreigner. We must of laughed for 10 minutes
sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:46 AM   #7
bajadog
I eats what I kills

I called the lifeguards a few years back, on a few tourist with spear poles
down near "The Clam" in La Jolla.

I'm seeing a lot more people poaching now.