Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2016, 05:58 PM   #1
sanomick

My two cents. Threshers are good eating
Threshers are really really strong - don't fish for them alone
Threshers are dangerous to catch on a kayak even if you are prepared - watch out for the tail and the jump.
They get really big and there is little chance of bringing a big one in on a kayak - 200# I"m impressed. any bigger and you will be out there for hours and probably not get them.
If you can find a copy of Fred Archers Book on threshers, It's a great read. He also shows how to butcher them.
sanomick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:54 PM   #2
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanomick View Post
If you can find a copy of Fred Archers Book on threshers, It's a great read. He also shows how to butcher them.
$149 for 135 pages, eek!
http://www.amazon.com/Thresher-Shark...rcher+thresher

Supply/Demand - I can only fine one.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 05-07-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:44 AM   #3
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Selling any sport caught fish is illegal....

Lots of local research is being done on t-sharks.....

https://swfsc.noaa.gov/uploadedFiles/Divisions/FRD/Large_Pelagics/Sharks/Thresher%20shark%20fact%20sheet-final.pdf

Sustainability Status/ Fishing Mortality

Based on analyses of productivity, CPUE, and catch data, fishing
mortality is estimated to be below the rate that would produce maximum sustainable yield; thus, overfishing is not occurring
(PFMC 2010)

Biomass is estimated to be above that required for maximum sustainable yield
and the stock is reportedly not overfished
(PFMC 2010)

Bycatch
Thresher sharks are taken incidentally in the swordfish DGN fishery.
Historically, there have been concerns about the level of bycatch of marine mammals and turtles in this fishery; however, after changes in fishing practices to minimize interactions with protected species, NMFS believes there is currently only a remote likelihood of incidental mortality or serious injury to marine mammals based upon the most recent information

www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/interactions/lof/

Common thresher sharks are also targeted by recreational anglers
(Heberer et al. 2010) The number of threshers caught annually by recreational anglers, including those released, is estimated from angler surveys and dockside interceptions.
Recreational catch varies widely from year to year but has averaged roughly 20 mt annually in recent years
www.pcouncil.org/bb/2008/1108/E3b_SUP_CDFG_1108.pdf
The estimated level of catch in this fishery may be imprecise because the fishery is patchy and sporadic.

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:34 AM   #4
maquinapescado

This is my opinion.........

I am against the harvest of threshers on our stretch of coast south of PC. A lot of threshers I see harvested do not appear to be of the age/size of sexual maturity.

The info below on the subject of reproduction is something I have heard and read in the past from other sources.

"Thresher sharks are slow to mature; males reach sexual maturity between seven and 13 years of age and females between eight and 14 years in bigeye threshers. They may live for 20 years or more" (wikipedia.com).

People are gonna do what they want regardless of anyone's opinion. I'm sure it is a difficult trick to land one from a kayak, but You won't get any merit from me for doing so (not that is matters).

Shark fishing is kind of like cat-fishing. If you put food in front of them, they will eat it. They aren't like yellows or WSB where you can have days where you will have every bait in the tank/tackle box in front of them and they just won't go.

Have fun with them while they are here.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:03 PM   #5
dmrides

One of the coolest things I saw on my kayak was my mac getting tail slapped and then eaten by a nice sized thresher right underneath me as I was checking my bait. A very short battle then ensued as I promptly thumbed the spool to break him off. I have released or broken off all the sharks I have hooked. You guys can do as you please, it is not for me to judge. As a surfer, I always felt that if I don't mess with sharks, they won't mess with me.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 04:55 PM   #6
Harry Hill

I don't know why but when ever I eat shark I taste uric acid, so I don't eat shark. That is how I know someone is passing shark off as swordfish, same taste.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:05 PM   #7
ratdog

I hooked a few and kept one several years ago. They are an incredible amount of work, not worth the amount of work. Me personally, I would never do it again. I don't enjoy seeing the slaughtered ones landing on the beach, just doesn't do it for me, why I don't know. A couple of years ago I remember reading posts about the dead few being found off the side of the highway somewhere locally. There isn't much sport to it since basically alls you have to do is have the right gear and troll it over the canyon. I know, "opinions are like A-holes everyone has one and they all stink", me included.
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:56 PM   #8
maquinapescado

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmrides View Post
. As a surfer, I always felt that if I don't mess with sharks, they won't mess with me.
Dito on that