Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
coxtanker421

having trouble

i am trying to install a new battery box for my fish finder. got it from oex. pelican with quick release connections. it has tiny brass screws for wire connections .they strip out real easy. i may have tossed receipt thinking what could go wrong. i ordered it online. after screwing stripping one of the screws i decided to just order new switch. payed around 15$ part and shipping. figured it would be about the same if i tried to do a return. had same problem with new one. i read of someone having same problem. like he said . great idea. but probably made , well you now where. .i really like the idea of quick release. do i cut my losses and hard wire it up? i tried drilling one of them out. i might be able to get eyelet connection and screw that down. any other suggestions . i want to do this right the first time to prevent monkey crap in the future. thx.
coxtanker421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:23 PM   #2
dniss

How I fixed it

Had the same frustrating problem. Switched to cheap 2-pole trailer connectors for about four bucks (Pep Boys) waterproof heat shrink butt splices for the wires (home depot), gooped the battery box hole and never had a problem since. Just keep the contacts greased so they don't corrode.
dniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
radastaff

i used computer molex connectors
splice/soldered the one onto the FF base power wire inside yak
and a short one coming out a hole in my FF box
with clip/car speaker leads spliced/soldered on wires inside box to connect the battery

easy to disconnect battery in box
and easy to connect box and battery to FF power lead in hull of yak

used foam to snug up the battery in the box

spray molex's with corrosion x

got my box from frys
not pelican brand
but just as tough

P
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
coxtanker421

had similar idea

thx for help everyone. happy holidays. quick release outside of box can be real convenient . tight lines
Old 11-27-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
Kayak805
Junior

Lame screws

I put one on my yak about 8 months ago and found it took about 6 screws to finally get two that didn't strip or simply wouldn't screw in correctly. OEX gave me a handful to make sure I could find two good screws.
Kayak805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:23 AM   #6
Quilted Germ

Had the same problem....so frustrating.... I ended up replacing at full cost...sucked!!! Didn't know I could get some screws at OEX...will try that...Mine are so loose the wires are bound to pull out.....
Old 11-28-2011, 09:37 AM   #7
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniss View Post
Had the same frustrating problem. Switched to cheap 2-pole trailer connectors for about four bucks (Pep Boys) waterproof heat shrink butt splices for the wires (home depot), gooped the battery box hole and never had a problem since. Just keep the contacts greased so they don't corrode.

Same here, but I used this guy...I wired the navi lights to one side and the FF to the other. I secured the female end to the box with goop and tri-fold rivets.

mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #8
coxtanker421

thx everyone

didnt know i could get some screws. i said to hell with it. drilled brass female ends on box side . ran the wires through. put sealant. got a trailer connector for couple bucks from pep boys . 2 wire connector. cheap one, unlike mazillas. tested it . im ready , all i have to do is drill scotty mount for madd frog arm. im mounting unit on ball into sailing mass recepticle. i think this is gonna work nicely. i dont want any monkey crap, wet mount in hull , that gives me all these crazy readings. this unit cost big bucks. 898 si . i better get some this year . for what i spent the fish should be jumping in the boat, or im getting my diving license.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:02 PM   #9
dniss

Unsolicited advice

I also put the cheapass trailer connector on my cheapass harbor freight charger to negate having to open the pelican box to charge the battery. Probably a good idea to crack it open while charging to dissipate heat, but I don't have to hassle with the inside wires to the battery.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:31 PM   #10
dniss

More unsolicited advice

I also have a Mad Frog transducer arm. I use one of the Scotty 3-way mounts and was able to bolt the Mad frog arm to its' ledge ( not the one that has slots for Pliers and lures) so the transducer sits a few inches off the hull, but is free to swing inboard for launch and landing. Plus it gives me 3 Scotty receivers fOr rod holders and my fish finder. I did buy a shOrt Scotty extender to get the whole shebang high enough off the deck so it would clear the rails.