Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-06-2018, 09:19 AM   #1
NavionicsSpecJason

Navionics charts

Quick question for the forum...how often do you update your Navionics charts?
NavionicsSpecJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:28 AM   #2
ProfessorLongArms

Never.

I’ll use the card if it comes with my Lowrance, but I’d never pay those prices as a non professional. I find the contours and marks pretty far off from my own marks, and wouldn’t ever just throw money assuming they’ve been fixed.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:06 AM   #3
ful-rac
Emperor

How could Navionics sell you more charts if they were correct in the first place...? They're probably purposefully off..as to make you think that they have been corrected in the next update...which they never are.

How can a stationary pipeline be so far off anyways?
Old 08-06-2018, 10:28 AM   #4
NavionicsSpecJason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorLongArms View Post
Never.

I’ll use the card if it comes with my Lowrance, but I’d never pay those prices as a non professional. I find the contours and marks pretty far off from my own marks, and wouldn’t ever just throw money assuming they’ve been fixed.

The card does come bundled with some models of Lowrance depth finders. I’m not a professional by any stretch but just like any tool, the good ones are worth it. One of the great things about Navionics, if you record sonar logs and submit them to Navionics, we can use that data to correct the maps. When Hurricane Irma hit lower Florida, everything changed, but with boaters and anglers sonar logging we were able to update charts to reflect the massive changes in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2018, 10:56 AM   #5
NavionicsSpecJason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
How could Navionics sell you more charts if they were correct in the first place...? They're probably purposefully off..as to make you think that they have been corrected in the next update...which they never are.

How can a stationary pipeline be so far off anyways?

I can promise you, Navionics would never purposely put a product out that is incorrect.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:03 PM   #6
ProfessorLongArms

Are you here for feedback or to make a pitch?

My dude, I barely find time to backup my gps coordinates.
You’re suggesting that I treat a proprietary platform as though it were open source.

When I pay for what is frankly an exorbitant license, I expect the software to work. I’m pretty sure I’d put accuracy at the top of the list in describing how a map works.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:31 PM   #7
Denis_Ruso

I completely agree on updating software. If I had it, probably wouldn't ever do it.

Still trying to justify the price of the mapping software for coastal kayak use. I mean sure awesome for areas you haven't explored. But once you fish an area a few times, all the GPS marks pretty much map it out for me.

So 200$ for the once a year I fish a new spot is hard to justify. Should have gotten the West Marine deal where they throw in the mapping for 50$ when u buy the fish finder.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:48 PM   #8
NavionicsSpecJason

Quote:
Are you here for feedback or to make a pitch?

My dude, I barely find time to backup my gps coordinates.

You’re suggesting that I treat a proprietary platform as though it were open source.

When I pay for what is frankly an exorbitant license, I expect the software to work. I’m pretty sure I’d put accuracy at the top of the list in describing how a map works.

Feed back. I think most people draw their own conclusions on the software. I try and update once a month because they update the maps on a regular basis. I’m not trying to make a sales pitch, just hoping to be a resource for those that do use the software. I know everyone has their preferences and their opinions on what is the “best”. I kayak fish, I work a full time job (not Navionics) and Navionics has been a very useful tool in my fishing.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:56 PM   #9
NavionicsSpecJason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso View Post
I completely agree on updating software. If I had it, probably wouldn't ever do it.

Still trying to justify the price of the mapping software for coastal kayak use. I mean sure awesome for areas you haven't explored. But once you fish an area a few times, all the GPS marks pretty much map it out for me.

So 200$ for the once a year I fish a new spot is hard to justify. Should have gotten the West Marine deal where they throw in the mapping for 50$ when u buy the fish finder.

IMO coastal areas probably change the most. I try and update once a month, that seems to be the sweet spot for me with how often Navionics updates the maps. If you keep an eye out, you can catch a decent deal on the website. I know not everyone logs onto Navionics as often as some, but if I’m allowed to stick around, I’d be happy to let those that are interested know when we are running a deal, for what it’s worth.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:29 PM   #10
Ggiannig89

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavionicsSpecJason View Post
Feed back. I think most people draw their own conclusions on the software. I try and update once a month because they update the maps on a regular basis. I’m not trying to make a sales pitch, just hoping to be a resource for those that do use the software. I know everyone has their preferences and their opinions on what is the “best”. I kayak fish, I work a full time job (not Navionics) and Navionics has been a very useful tool in my fishing.

Post some reports on some of your kayak fishing trips. I’d like to see how you use your mapping in conjunction with Fishing.
I’m sure people people would be more eager to give you information if they felt you were contributing.
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:47 PM   #11
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I'll update my charts when I buy another fishfinder gold package that comes with the chip, which won't happen until my Dragonfly dies. I also won't do any community edits, who has time to figure that out? And why would I pay for a map then spend time updating the data for them so they can charge me again for the update?
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:44 AM   #12
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggiannig89

Post some reports on some of your kayak fishing trips. I’d like to see how you use your mapping in conjunction with Fishing.
I’m sure people people would be more eager to give you information if they felt you were contributing.
This is a really great idea. I for one would love to see how you benefit from charts on the water and how it translates into fish. Shoot you could do a whole YouTube series and get a promotion.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:01 AM   #13
crashcrow

I don't think the west coast changes as much as the East. Don't think the 9 mile bank or any of the ship wrecks are going anywhere soon. I don't know where you fish or what you target but I don't see much changing around here.
crashcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:38 AM   #14
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

JASON, I'm glad you are here and offering to help us with any questions we might have.

It's like having friendly personal access to a Navionics tech rep without having to wait to go to the Navionics booth at a trade show somewhere.

Thank you for reaching out. I don't find your posts to be indirect, or disingenuous, or annoying sales hype at all. It's more like good customer support and service. You have been very straightforward and truthful about who you are and why you are here. It's nice to have you available as an authoritative resource to help us with any questions about Navionics products.

Speaking for myself as a kayak fishing enthusiast who enjoys hanging out and learning with kindred spirits here, I welcome you to these forums. I always enjoy learning more about anything. Life is sweet :-)

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 08-09-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:12 PM   #15
NavionicsSpecJason

I appreciate it, and I understand why folks might be apprehensive or put off by me being here. You take the good with the not so good and learn from all feedback, positive or negative. I hope that I can be a personal resource, and don’t mind talking with people one on one by email/direct message/telephone. I love kayak fishing and the community that it is. It’s difficult for me to relate to kayak fishing out west, because I live in Alabama. I do love comparing notes on different techniques and styles as it relates to geographical regions, and species.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:17 PM   #16
NavionicsSpecJason

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashcrow View Post
I don't think the west coast changes as much as the East. Don't think the 9 mile bank or any of the ship wrecks are going anywhere soon. I don't know where you fish or what you target but I don't see much changing around here.

I can see your point, west coast doesn’t get the storms that the eastern or southern parts of the US do. I live in Alabama and fish a lot of freshwater and hit Florida inshore fishing. I want to fish out west, especially California. Y’all have got some MONSTER largemouth, and some salt species that we don’t see in the parts of Florida I fish.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:06 PM   #17
Polychrest
Junior

I considered Navionics so I could sync waypoints between my iPhone and plotter. The cost of the card, confusing options (I have to pay $399 for offshore + $199 for inland lakes if I want sat photos) turned me off. I ended up using the Gaia GPS app, I don't get the updates and syncing is a manual process but I get everything else for $40 a year. If I venture out more the Navionics app may be worth it. I wish they would cut you a deal on the card if you subscribe to the app.
Polychrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:11 AM   #18
Denis_Ruso

Ahh that makes much more sense being from Alabama.

Most of us on here fish in the Ocean and given our coast line is made mostly of rocky shoreline and sand beaches. The sand comes and goes throughout the season that's about the only change we have, structure mostly stays the same.

If you're a fan of kayak fishing, I highly recommend making a trip out to San Diego and feeling out what a 25lb yellowtail feels like pulling your kayak around 1 mile from the beautiful California coast.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:37 PM   #19
ProfessorLongArms

Alabama! I spent my high school years on Logan Martin.
No need to go west for yellowtail when you’ve got Amber Jack in the gulf... some of my best memories are from Gulf Shores and Venice, knuckles burning and rod bent out by the oil rigs.

Just to be clear, it’s not my intent to give you the impression that you are unwelcome or your posts are unwanted.

Just the same, do strongly doubt that my response is an un-represented sentiment here... I am 100% glad that my unit came with a card, and I reference on it constantly. I could also see Navionics being something that I would give a lot of use to if I was in a boat covering some serious miles.... then again if I had enough money to buy a boat, I’d probably wouldn’t bat an eye at spending that kind of money on nav software
Old 08-23-2018, 02:24 PM   #20
NavionicsSpecJason

Quote:
Alabama! I spent my high school years on Logan Martin.

No need to go west for yellowtail when you’ve got Amber Jack in the gulf... some of my best memories are from Gulf Shores and Venice, knuckles burning and rod bent out by the oil rigs.

Just to be clear, it’s not my intent to give you the impression that you are unwelcome or your posts are unwanted.

Just the same, do strongly doubt that my response is an un-represented sentiment here... I am 100% glad that my unit came with a card, and I reference on it constantly. I could also see Navionics being something that I would give a lot of use to if I was in a boat covering some serious miles.... then again if I had enough money to buy a boat, I’d probably wouldn’t bat an eye at spending that kind of money on nav software

Oh I didn’t think it was your intent, I understand where folks are coming from. I fish North Alabama and nothing changes here, but there’s a lot of small lakes that are unmapped and even the ones that are have some things missing. Good example, I found a rock row on Pickwick lake that runs about 1/2 mile with 20+ feet of depth on both sides but the rocks top out at 12 feet. It’s not on any lake map that I’ve found. I debated with myself on submitting that sonar log, LOL. I would however love to kayak fish in Southern Cal. I inshore fish Florida for redfish and I’m going to Louisiana in November to see if I can catch some reds and trout. I love kayak fishing for any species anywhere I can!