Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2021, 04:43 PM   #281
FISH11

SWEET! Really nice rock fish haul. Tight Lines!
Old 03-09-2021, 05:26 AM   #282
NICKWORN

Very nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysFishing View Post
The Solo Skiff is such a great fishing machine. So much faster to and from the fishing ground. Loving it!

Here is my video from this weekend opener in Redondo Beach.

https://youtu.be/tceKKg_I4Jc

-Quang
Very Nice!!!

If you want to lower that seat they do make a almost flush swivel, different then the pvc one that adds an extra 3” or so. Just a thought.

I see your hand grabbing seat for leverage, check out Marks he put a 9” H-rail to grab instead of a rope to the bow.

Hope to see ya in SD sometime.

You on SoCal Solo Skiff page?
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 02:30 PM   #283
AlwaysFishing

Thanks Nick!
I ordered one of the low profile seat swivel. I am thinking of changing the seat to something with less cushion so it is lower.
I am still debating about the 9" H-Rail. I was thinking of installing a large piece of rope and use that like you would ride a bull. I am short so reaching the H-Rail to hang on requires me to kind of leaning forward. With the rope I can make it to fit what I need. Still debating. Maybe the H-Rail will work after I switch out the seat and swivel.
San Diego is a long drive so I will probably go if you can guarantee me a YT..

Yes I am on SoCal Solo Skiff page.

-Quang

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKWORN View Post
Very Nice!!!

If you want to lower that seat they do make a almost flush swivel, different then the pvc one that adds an extra 3” or so. Just a thought.

I see your hand grabbing seat for leverage, check out Marks he put a 9” H-rail to grab instead of a rope to the bow.

Hope to see ya in SD sometime.

You on SoCal Solo Skiff page?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71grxuIBjfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (42.2 KB, 214 views)
AlwaysFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:19 PM   #284
FISH11

Hi Quang, this is a couple links to the Deckmate seat and low profile plastic swivel base (won't rust and makes the seat removable). These are what I use and the seat is the same on mine and Nick's Solo Skiffs, not heavy or too thick, water proof and comfortable with good support. You can choose different color for the seat if you want. Here is also a link to the utube video I made about my designed loading system and you can better see what the seat looks like on the Solo Skiff.

https://www.deckmate.com/collections...c-seat-release https://www.deckmate.com/collections...30946774155339 https://youtu.be/cjzPTPyMIQI

Last edited by FISH11; 03-09-2021 at 09:30 PM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:31 AM   #285
AlwaysFishing

Thank you kind sir! I ordered both of them. $67 shipped for both seat and base is not bad at all.

-Quang

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
Hi Quang, this is a couple links to the Deckmate seat and low profile plastic swivel base (won't rust and makes the seat removable). These are what I use and the seat is the same on mine and Nick's Solo Skiffs, not heavy or too thick, water proof and comfortable with good support. You can choose different color for the seat if you want. Here is also a link to the utube video I made about my designed loading system and you can better see what the seat looks like on the Solo Skiff.

https://www.deckmate.com/collections...c-seat-release https://www.deckmate.com/collections...30946774155339 https://youtu.be/cjzPTPyMIQI
Old 03-17-2021, 06:13 AM   #286
NICKWORN

Little snotty swell action

Little full speed action out at the PL Kelp!

On plain this skiff just taps and glides across these swells, actually launched off one shortly before video, outboard came out of water for a brief second, totally air borne.

https://youtube.com/shorts/VwlUvwGOBkk
Old 03-17-2021, 11:17 AM   #287
FISH11

Going full speed or close to it on the SOLO SKIFF is an absolute blast that makes me grin from ear to ear. Love those moments of getting a little air, so much fun.
Old 03-22-2021, 05:19 PM   #288
AlwaysFishing

Oh yeah it's a blast!! Have the prop ever get lifted up while doing full speed in choppy water? I had it happened to me yesterday and it scared the heck out of me. I wasn't going at full speed but still a little fast.
Old 03-22-2021, 05:21 PM   #289
AlwaysFishing

What are you doing about tackle storage? I don't want to have to open the seat hatch every time I need something. Everything on the cockpit get wet. Are you using a waterproof planner box or something?
Old 03-22-2021, 05:39 PM   #290
AlwaysFishing

I removed the deckmate seat. There just isn't enough cushion for a long day on the water. It was making my bottom all numbed and my back was hurting. I put back my more cushioned seat but kept the seat swivel.
Old 03-23-2021, 07:38 AM   #291
ctfphoto

Dear Hobie Corporation, Please consider producing a foam-filled Hobie kayak with an outboard motor mount.

Do a knock-off or a better version as I know you can.

I would buy a solo skiff today, but that seems impossible due to poor management

This has become ridiculous
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 09:14 AM   #292
AlwaysFishing

If Hobie makes one, it will be in the $5k range.
Mike from Solo Skiff said they fixed the problem and is starting up production again in a couple of weeks. I hope it's true for all the people who are waiting. Price is now $2350 plus tax and shipping. Kinda sucks that people who puts deposit down before the price increase will have to pay the higher price. That's ain't right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfphoto View Post
Dear Hobie Corporation, Please consider producing a foam-filled Hobie kayak with an outboard motor mount.

I would buy a solo skiff today, but that seems impossible due to poor management

Old 03-23-2021, 10:07 PM   #293
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysFishing View Post
Oh yeah it's a blast!! Have the prop ever get lifted up while doing full speed in choppy water? I had it happened to me yesterday and it scared the heck out of me. I wasn't going at full speed but still a little fast.
Yes I've had the outboard kick up even at full speed. Usually it's hitting something like a stringer of kelp. If you're not paying attention it will pull the tiller handle from your hand. Once it happened and I never saw anything on the water surface but before I could re-grab the tiller the motor had come back down and the engine still going fast catches the water but in a slight angle so the Solo Skiff makes a quick u turn to the left while still traveling at over 10 mph and it literally turns out from under me and I fall over the side.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:13 AM   #294
FISH11

I am so tired of the ever changing weather conditions, we have had for way too long now. It's either high surf, high winds or both or even snow at home. Haven't been able to do my, at least once a week, La Jolla fishing trip. The slow fishing has continued as witnessed by the lack of reports. I went out on Friday the 19th as there was a window in between the high surf forecasts. Made one nice greenback mac and there were bait clouds but could not land any more and trolled around searching for bait or good marks on the Fish Finder. Decided to just enjoy the Solo Skiff and it's power and speed while searching for Fish and chasing bird action. Unfortunately, I did not land many fish while looking for better spots. Ended up having an awesome day on the water, until conditions changed around noon to as had been forecast, high winds. At that point I figured it was a good time to head in and load up at the shores.

Old 03-24-2021, 03:18 PM   #295
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfphoto View Post

It would be nice if Hobie offered a gas motorized version of their quality kayaks. In the meantime, you might want to consider a Profisha 14 over a Solo Skiff, it's bigger, lighter, and has more capacity.

https://stealthkayaks.com/compare-kayaks/

Last edited by JohnMckroidJr; 03-26-2021 at 05:29 PM.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:27 AM   #296
tak100
Recruit

The U.S. dealers website for Stealth Kayaks does not work. Not a good sign.
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 05:37 PM   #297
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak100 View Post
The U.S. dealers website for Stealth Kayaks does not work. Not a good sign.
Works fine, I accidentally messed up the paste on the previous post.

https://stealthkayaks.com/compare-kayaks/

They don't have much distribution in the US, so it's not a fast purchase, but I have checked them out at the Florida distributor's and so far everything that I have seen are of good quality.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 11:54 AM   #298
NICKWORN

See ya Saturday

Just got back from Vegas, broke even on the last night playing craps for what seemed like an hour, but was actually 8hrs.

Haven't been out in a few weeks so yea, surf looks good for the Solo Skiff, see ya out there!

Old 04-20-2021, 11:18 AM   #299
NICKWORN

Solo Skiff Armada is growing

Bag of mixed rockfish, buddy landed that toad of a Calico, 23”. Planning a few 9mile bank trips with the Scout Community, will be cool to see a dozen Solos and a dozen Scouts smashing off shore.

Went out last Saturday too, SD Bay for some Butts, but was immediately bummed when the bait barge only had dinky chovies, 3” max. Managed to catch a few spotties, shaker and a Buzz. . Buddy Nelson maiden voyage on his Scout was cool to be apart of.

:

https://youtu.be/B0zzS-EVgSE
Old 04-20-2021, 11:34 AM   #300
AlwaysFishing

Awesome to see a group Solo cutting through the water.
Where will you be launching to head out to the 9 miles?
I might be down if it is not beach launch, if you don't mind me joining you guys.

-Quang