Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2009, 09:15 AM   #1
Toad Patrol
Junior

Observations on Malibu MLPA meeting...

Since it's wet and dreary and I've got a wicked cold (my nose is running like John Belushi's) no fishing for me today. Instead I wrote a letter to the Malibu Surfside News regarding the MLPA meeting last Wednesday-

Dear Editor,
Last Wednesday the Malibu City Council hosted a presentation by the Dept of Fish and Game at the City Council to inform Malibu residents of their Marine Life Protection Act and its impact on our coastline. In theory a great program to help our over harvested coastal fishery recover. It has unfortunately pitted the pro consumption groups; sport fishermen, divers, and commercials against the environmental groups who would prefer no fishing at all anywhere. The whole MLPA process is a perfect example of government in action. So incredibly convoluted and exasperating; a real tangled web of mumbo jumbo, with the opposing public groups as well as state appointed scientists and various representatives all trying to come to a consensus. I need an Advil just thinking about it. Which is probably what they hoped for.
A number of concerns crossed my mind while listening to the rep from the DFG attempting to explain the process.
I was especially disappointed to see they regard all fishing groups the same and do not take into account the amount of fish harvested or the different methods of catch. I'm unfortunately in the same camp as the commercials who have devastated the squid fishery, (shipping over 80% of the catch to Asia and Europe) bottom trawling the Santa Barbara channel for shrimp, (one pound of shrimp results in three pounds of bycatch that can't be sold, and is dumped overboard, dead) and live-fish trapping for Asian markets and restaurants, (the shallow water rockfish, Sheepshead , and any other small edible fish that fits on a plate) sit dismally alive, crammed side by side into huge filthy aquariums until killed and served up.) Where’s PETA when you need them.
As a licensed kayak fishing guide and instructor, I attempt to educated people on Catch and Release, especially the large breeding females of various species, which fish are depleted, and a general knowledge and appreciation of ocean ecology and stewardship. I point out the damage done by irresponsible commercial and party boat over-fishing. Certain species are in healthy numbers and are appropriate to keep a few for dinner, while others should be released, like the larger Calico Bass, Threasher Shark, Sheepshead, and Halibut.
One proposal closes off all fishing from Coral Beach, Paradise Cove, Pt. Dume, and the deep canyon off Westward. Another proposal would move the reserve west to the Mugu area, which provides the same varied ecology as Pt Dume but in a much less appropriate area for kayaking. Mugu has rougher wind and seas, stronger currents, and no beach access for launching, while the other provides easy launch and low surf at Coral Beach, Escondido, and Westward. That zone could be easily designated a conservation zone (not a no-take reserve) that would allow limited low impact sport fishing but no commercials.
The truly sad thing is that we're incapable of policing ourselves. There wouldn't be a need for reserves if we could understand what is happening, educate ourselves and act accordingly. But we've put a dollar sign on fish and measure our success in tons. Our ego driven, trophy hunger demands taking the largest fish, usually the biggest breeding females. Convincing people to rethink these parameters is the tough sell. Will posting "no fishing" signs in the best fishing spots accomplish this? Doubtful. Will we, once again, make a law abiding public into criminals, crowding the over-burdened courts? Probably.
Many people refuse to believe there is global warming, severely diminished fisheries, global ocean pollution; they just want their calamari, their sashimi, their surf and turf, and their Mcfish sandwiches. Regardless of the cost. Stronger education and alternative aquaculture is the key, but we live in a punitive country that loves to pass laws and punish those that don't obey.
What will I do to discourage the MLPA from taking our own backyard from us? I'll write e-mails to every person with any responsibility, the California Natural Resources Agency, the MLPA Planning Group, everyone on the MLPA Initiative Staff, and the DFG Staff, not to include the Pt. Dume Area as a reserve (no take) but a conservation area (limited take). Let them have the Mugu area or Topanga as a reserve if they must. The Escondido/ Paradise Cove/ Pt. Dume area is too important a launch site to lose. It's still undecided. Check out the DFG website, click on Attend workshop meetings, and raise your voice.
Kayak fishermen could be strong allies and teachers of Catch and Release principals if we were’t lumped with the commercials and chased off the water.
Hope I didn't bore you with my ranting...
Scott Winner
Pt. Dume
I e-mailed Garth Wilson, an esteemed marine biologist and stakeholder on the MLPA team to verify my take on the process. Here's his response-
Scott,
I read your letter and mostly your observations are correct. There have been a lot of problems in the running of the RSG who are designing the MPAs and one of the main ones is, as you observe, the lumping of all take activities together, and all conservationists together. The take side, including commercial sports fishermen, boat builders, tackle mfg etc, lobster, urchin, crab, trawlers and big wealthy seining companies have joined together in a tight voting block or cartel that makes any compromise dificult. They oppose all attempts to allow sport fishing and not commercial. I am sure you noticed there are no SMPs planned, the one designation that is for individual sports fishing only. Any SMCA proposed, they pile on commercial fishing takes until the conservationists give up and have to go to reserves to keep them out. They are well financed and organzed, meet after each meeting to plan strategy, and vote as a block.
Conservationists are individuals, mostly do not have a financial interest and are totally unorganized, mostly interested in one local area or species and frustrated by each other as well as the Sell-fishermen.
Dume is singled out because it has the best potential to preserve and conserve because of the total ocean ecosystem representing all habitats available in one small area. That is why it is such good fishing. The shelter on both sides depending on wind also works for fish larvae retention. What is good for us is good underwater creatures too. Alternatives to Dume require a spread out area much larger to get the habitats of rocky and sand bottom at all depths, and are opposed by commercial fishermen everywhere. The sell-Fisheries cartel have reduced the possible reserves to only two or 3 between PV and Pt Conception! so they have to be in really productive, habitat-rich areas or they do not meet science guidelines.
I totally agree on aquaculture. My college roomate grows as much fish in 11 acres by the Salton Sea as all the fish taken in S C not counting sardines, mackerel, anchovies and squid, the largest fisheries.
200 million pounds as opposed to 4 million. Another group grow 3 million pounds of hybrid striped bass a year in 3 acres. My personal view is there should be no professional/commercial fishing allowed at all. Why should the public resource owned by 35 million CA residents be exploited by a handful (450) of people? We do not need to eat seafood, except sardines which are all exported like squid for cattle feed, chicken food or foreign acuaculture...or canned overseas and resold to us at 16 times the price.
I have been fishing since I was 4 and do not take any fish any more. They just are not enough to go around. I am 65 and knew CA when it was bountiful even of abalone. Sometimes you have to give up the thing you love in order to save it. Every local fisherman, rec or commercial says NIMBY to reserves. I am as territorial about my ocean stomping grounds, La Jolla and Encinitas-Carlsbad as any fisherman. I simply would rather see a lot of fish every time I go in the ocean than take them out, kill and eat them. Which is our natural instinct as hunters. Seeing abundance is just as rewarding once you get used to it..
Right again that MPAs would not be necessary if we set low limits, (always opposed by fishing groups) policed ourselves, were educated and not greedy, and did not try to make a living off a dwindling resource.
No easy solution and as the people running the MLPAI keep telling us, if everyone is unhappy they are doing their job. And everyone is unhappy.
The only solution for the casual sportsfisherman is to get together to ban commercial fishing in state waters, which will happen eventually. Too many people not enough fish was my father's most famous saying. And big fish are for breeding, small fish are for eating. Fishing is too much fun to allow people to make a living off it. the joys have to be spread out with the population wanting to fish.
thats it for now...Garth

For what it's worth
TL
-Scott
Toad Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
Willy

Well done Scott.

I'm in the same boat as you, frustrated with being grouped together with the commercial fishermen and labeled 'consumer.'

From a Kayak our yearly take, nay...lifetime take, is likely less than the daily bycatch of one commercial boat.

It's wrong to group the two together. But it's convienant for people who don't really care about fairness, just preach it.

Yesterday I caught my personal best calico, a monster, snapped a few photos and released it. Felt good, and ate chicken for dinner.

You're right, it's up to the individual to police themselves, and pass that on to their kids. We wouldn't need the MLPA, MPA, or Federal government if we were all responsible fishermen and consumers.

One fish per day per fisherman regulation and tons of aqua culture wouldn't be a bad compromise, but the DFG would need some serious funding to enforce that kind of limitation. Say oh, 35 million...oops that's for wasting on the MLPA.

Willy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fat Calico 06-19-09.jpg (62.0 KB, 64 views)
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote