Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-20-2017, 10:14 AM   #1
ProfessorLongArms

1st trip in a new Outback. Some thoughts. (Big Thanks to Andy and OEX)

In case anyone was interested- I know there were a few people talking about their process on getting an Outback vs Revo vs Compass.

Last week, I hit my goal at work and ended up getting a new kayak.
I was in love as soon as I saw the slate blue color.

Andy has been super helpful since I got started fixing up my first kayak. Keeping with consistency he made this purchase really simple and easy. Took care of the rudder/fin upgrades (no-brainer), rectangular hatch install, and Sonar install. Also gave me some great advice on gear choices, etc. I highly recommend checking out OEX. They also have a Revo and an Outback for rent right there, which I recommend trying if you're curious about a Hobie.

I've been paddling around in my dad's Trident 13 Torque, and it's been a great boat for up in Malibu, but the mods for the motor and battery really tend to get in the way if you don't use them(no true center hatch. Skeg plug in the back). The weight they add makes it almost impossible to drag the damn thing into the surf once it's fully set up. Awesome setup for somewhere like Dana with a ramp though.

At any rate, I had my maiden voyage up in Malibu this weekend and wanted to share a few observations.

1) I can definitely see why people go for longer and leaner in a place like Malibu. I've only launched for fishing in 1-2 foot swells with minimal offshore wind. Given those conditions, I usually only take one or two breaks on the bow getting through the surf zone. Yesterday I took about 5. It's definitely not as quick with a paddle in hand and I had to work to keep it straight.

I don't think I'd try to launch this boat out in 3-4.

Coming in, I've gotten used to shirking timing my landing with the sets, just assuming I'd take a wave broach and bracing against it. It's actually kinda fun. I did the same in the Outback and it was not what I expected. Didn't even have a chance to brace before it was out from under me. Thankfully I've crashed enough to do so with grace. Dropped my back shoulder under, ducked my head, rolled it over me, grabbed the handle and righted it as quick as it went over. Everything was stowed. nothing lost or damaged.

As a side note- with that roll and several waves on the bow, I probably had less than a quart of water inside. Dry as a bone in the center hatch.

2) The Mirage Drive. This was probably my number one reason for getting it. My paddling form is garbage. Fishing is all about using your hands for a million different things at once. Legs are so much more efficient than upper body.

According to my sonar, I was averaging about 3.5-4mph with the turbo fins, and without exerting too hard in mild current. Much better than I'd paddle consistently with that level of effort.

I expected it to be 100% hands-free, but the rudder control does take a bit of minding. Similar to steering a boat, it required minor corrections, so I couldn't just start tying a rig on my way out to a spot without suddenly veering way off course.

This thing is a godsend for bottom fishing. Pedal into the wind and make your drop. Straight down. Circle your drop. Straight down. Get some momentum into the current and cut your rudder. Drift back into straight down.

Despite underestimating it, I really liked the 180 as well. When the current was light, I was able to back right up on a bit of structure as I marked it or control my momentum facing with the current. Looking forward to trying it out a bit more... especially when hooked up on a fish.

Oh! these things don't like thick kelp. I had to pull my drive out a couple of times and paddle back out. Seems to do well if you anticipate, push the fins up against the boat, and coast over.

3) The Vantage seat is amazing. I'm not sure how it compares with the Compass as I haven't tried it, but it was perfectly comfortable and surprisingly adjustable.

4) Storage. I went for the Rectangular hatch and recommend you do too if you buy one. I didn't go for the tackle storage, as I have a tiny box for terminal in my vest, a jig box, and a weight box. I tend to run super light with tackle on the water, but could see it being useful if you were in LJ with so much variety and a need for surface irons, etc.

The drop in tray is surprisingly helpful and perfectly sized. Wouldn't even mind it being a bit deeper. I put all of my reels, camera, and sonar in there, and was able to ditch the drybox that's usually behind my seat. Everything else goes under or in the front.

I did see a comment I'd echo though- It does make you really spread your knees wide to open it- especially if you need to pull the tray out. I put my sonar within reach on a ball mount to my right, and it makes it hard to get your knees wide enough without loosening/swiveling it. Still not sure I'd reconsider its location though. On my torque, the Sonar sits at the end of my center console, and it was really hard to read/reach.

Wouldn't ever mount one further than I could reach sitting back.

5) Stability- Despite it being a bit of a turtle in the surf, I feel like I'd have to really work to flip this thing on open water. I am pretty comfortable with the idea of never going overboard out there. 2ft swells yesterday, and was able to piss standing up. In the trident, I've always been extra vigilant, and that's what stopped me from getting a Revo (That and the cramped deck space) since it's even narrower.

At any rate, I hope this helps anyone who's considering one. I'm absolutely in love with this kayak and I look forward to putting some miles on it. Thanks to everyone else who's shared their thoughts as well. It made my decisions much simpler once the time came.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F0B2649D-C1AC-4353-874C-450F345C107F.jpg (62.5 KB, 101 views)
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:52 AM   #2
goldenglory18

Excellent write up. Congrats!
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:38 AM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

Thanks Spencer! Nice honest review. The more you use it the more you will find solutions for any of the negative factors.

Tags
hobie outback, malibu, surf