Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 02-04-2017, 10:52 AM   #1
kirkdavis

Report from the kelp beds 2/3/17

Went out out of Dana Landing in Mission bay. Hit the mouth at 0600 and it was rough enough that I was considering turning around because it was still too dark to see how rough it was further out. Turned out not so bad. Headed southwest to the kelp beds. Swells about 5-7 feet and not too much chop. Caught bait fairly early, mixed spanish and greenbacks. The kelp beds off of Sunset Cliffs are recovering nicely. There is quite a bit on the surface, so it is easier to find now. Fished dropper squid, dropper mack, flyline mack, and plastic. No takers. Fortunatly, I am the sort that counts catching bait as catching fish, so I consider myself not skunked. I did not have even a bite from target fish. I was hoping to catch something gaff-worthy so I could try my new-made gaff. I told my wife that she is to blame, because when I left I didn't get my good luck kiss. She was sleeping so hard I only got the back of her head.
Anyhow, it was a beautiful day on the water. I saw one whale cruise by, only saw one young sea lion, and he didn't harass me, and saw dolphins several times. One interesting thing happened with the dolphins. I had one blow me a raspberry....either that or he farted. He did it three times in a row. I'm retired Navy, so I have seen a lot of dolphins, and I don't recall ever hearing that noise from a dolphin.
Headed back in around noon, and the swells were going in the right direction so it made the journey easier. Last time out when I caught the BSB, it took me 2.5 hours of hard pedaling to get back.
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:59 AM   #2
YakDout
Brandon

Great, thanks for report. Headed out tomorrow.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 01:14 PM   #3
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Sorry to hear your new gaff didn't taste fish for it's debut. I'm not superstitious, so I think chances are good it will be a trustworthy fishing companion for the future

PS - I've never fished in that area before. I would love to join you sometime for a little more fishing camaraderie, fish biting or not. I like to eat fish, but I also get a good feeling when fish survive to see another day.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:03 PM   #4
kirkdavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
Sorry to hear your new gaff didn't taste fish for it's debut. I'm not superstitious, so I think chances are good it will be a trustworthy fishing companion for the future

PS - I've never fished in that area before. I would love to join you sometime for a little more fishing camaraderie, fish biting or not. I like to eat fish, but I also get a good feeling when fish survive to see another day.
Stan, I'll try to invite you next time when I have more notice. I wasn't sure I was going fishing until Thursday evening, and I was debating whether to try LJ until I checked the webcam Friday before I took off. Between the bigger waves and the work going on there I opted for the Dane Landing launch. Tides were with me both ways, which helps a lot.
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote