Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2016, 03:00 PM   #1
Dark_Knight_9C1

Good day for firsts

Did my first beach launch and landing today from CDM.
The waves were ankle high going out and waist high coming in. Waist high that is when your sitting in the kayak. Did get sideways a little on the landing but managed to pull it out.
Went out to the deep water outside of Newport harbor looking for rockfish. Didn't have a fish finder so went out about 3/4 a mile. I dropped my first line just as a crabber went by pulling up his cages so I knew I had found some rocks. Dropped down squid and mackerel. The first fish came up on the mackerel... a mackerel.
The next one hit the squid. It was a good size sheepshead, my first sheep head and my first decent fish while rockfishing.
Had a pretty constant nibble the whole morning. Managed a unidentified fish (another first) and another mackerel. Had something else too which was big but only got it half way up.
 photo IMG_0743_zps6ifgxtmj.jpg
Can anyone identify the smaller fish? It was unusual because it had skin like a shark. Smooth one way and sandpaper the other.
 photo IMG_0745_zpsarr7nwws.jpg
 photo IMG_0746_zpsf1sw3mo4.jpg
 photo IMG_0747_zpswsf6prtv.jpg

Last edited by Dark_Knight_9C1; 12-29-2016 at 08:00 AM.
Dark_Knight_9C1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:30 PM   #2
DanaPT

This is how the addiction begins.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:40 PM   #3
Orca Winfrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
This is how the addiction begins.
X2. I hate losing the big ones before I can see what they are.

If the waves at CDM are too big, you can always launch from the baby beach in the harbor. It's not too far from the harbor mouth and you can harass spotties or catch macs for bait at the bait barge (if it's still there) on your way out.
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:49 AM   #4
Dark_Knight_9C1

I've launched form multiple public boat docks in the harbor including the one at baby beach on the end of the peninsula. Also the coast guard station. This time I wanted to try the surf launch since the waves were so small. It was worth the experience in case I ever make it out to La Jolla. It also saved me 15 minute or so each way of paddling but cost me $9 for parking.
I usually fish from shore off the end of the CDM jetty. I know exactly where the Macs are if I need them for bait. The two Macs I got were trolled on the way in hoping for a thrasher.

Last edited by Dark_Knight_9C1; 12-29-2016 at 08:13 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:10 AM   #5
jruiz
Large Member

Smaller fish is a baby black sea bass. Has been illegal to take for years
JK, it's a whitefish. One rule I go by is I release everything I can't identify or don't know the limits on. Easy rule to stay out of trouble
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:17 AM   #6
King Saba

Nice. Love bottom fishing. You never know what you're gonna pull up. Your mystery fish is a whitefish. They can be bitter tasting sometimes due to their diet.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:28 PM   #7
Orca Winfrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_9C1 View Post
I've launched form multiple public boat docks in the harbor including the one at baby beach on the end of the peninsula. Also the coast guard station. This time I wanted to try the surf launch since the waves were so small. It was worth the experience in case I ever make it out to La Jolla. It also saved me 15 minute or so each way of paddling but cost me $9 for parking.
I usually fish from shore off the end of the CDM jetty. I know exactly where the Macs are if I need them for bait. The two Macs I got were trolled on the way in hoping for a thrasher.
Ah. I understand.
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:35 PM   #8
daperrin
www.TheKayakLaunch

Hi what is CDM?
Are you just dropping down chunks of mackerel?
What lb test do you use out there?

Thanks
daperrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:13 PM   #9
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by daperrin View Post
Hi what is CDM?
Are you just dropping down chunks of mackerel?
What lb test do you use out there?

Thanks
Corona Del Mar?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:38 PM   #10
Dark_Knight_9C1

Yes, CDM is Corona Del Mar. it's just on the south side of the entrance to Newport Harbor.
I was using whole frozen squid that day. I put out half mackerels too and had one stolen but that's all
I usually use Macs for batrays and leopard sharks. I also fish off the jetty there for more of the same.
Had the fortune to hook up a yellow tail on a live greenback while on the jetty. I always fish with big bait. You never know what your going to catch.
I've lost a lot of fish to broken fishing line. I started with 40 lb mono. I'm now up to 80 lb braid (which I've already broke once) with a 60 lb mono topper. This seems to work. I also use a 60lb cable leader and a thick 5/0 hook. I bent a thin 4/0 on the yellowtail trying to pull it up on the jetty.

Last edited by Dark_Knight_9C1; 02-06-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:38 AM   #11
bwana

Sheephead Season is CLOSED 1-1-17 to 3-1-17

I hate to bust your cherry excitement BUT...

Per DFG website: "California Sheephead

This fishery is currently closed for boat-based angling.

The recreational fishery for California sheephead (Semicossyphus pulcher) is open year-round to divers and shore-based anglers. The fishery is closed to boat-based anglers as of January 1, 2017, and is expected to reopen on March 1, 2017. California sheephead may only be taken or possessed in waters less than 360 feet (60 fathoms) deep. The daily bag and possession limit is 5 fish, with a minimum size limit of 12 inches total length."

As Jorge said.. best to release everything you don't know what it is or what the rules are.

A week before year end I caught the biggest sculpin I have ever seen. I had to let it go as the season was closed until January 1st. I knew this because I had checked before heading out that day.

Throughout the year I refresh what seasons are open and what are closed by checking with DFG: https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Fishing/...g-Map/southern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_9C1 View Post
Did my first beach launch and landing today from CDM.
The waves were ankle high going out and waist high coming in. Waist high that is when your sitting in the kayak. Did get sideways a little on the landing but managed to pull it out.
Went out to the deep water outside of Newport harbor looking for rockfish. Didn't have a fish finder so went out about 3/4 a mile. I dropped my first line just as a crabber went by pulling up his cages so I knew I had found some rocks. Dropped down squid and mackerel. The first fish came up on the mackerel... a mackerel.
The next one hit the squid. It was a good size sheepshead, my first sheep head and my first decent fish while rockfishing.
Had a pretty constant nibble the whole morning. Managed a unidentified fish (another first) and another mackerel. Had something else too which was big but only got it half way up.
 photo IMG_0743_zps6ifgxtmj.jpg
Can anyone identify the smaller fish? It was unusual because it had skin like a shark. Smooth one way and sandpaper the other.
 photo IMG_0745_zpsarr7nwws.jpg
 photo IMG_0746_zpsf1sw3mo4.jpg
 photo IMG_0747_zpswsf6prtv.jpg
bwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:47 AM   #12
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwana View Post
I hate to bust your cherry excitement BUT...

Per DFG website: "California Sheephead

This fishery is currently closed for boat-based angling.

The recreational fishery for California sheephead (Semicossyphus pulcher) is open year-round to divers and shore-based anglers. The fishery is closed to boat-based anglers as of January 1, 2017, and is expected to reopen on March 1, 2017. California sheephead may only be taken or possessed in waters less than 360 feet (60 fathoms) deep. The daily bag and possession limit is 5 fish, with a minimum size limit of 12 inches total length."

As Jorge said.. best to release everything you don't know what it is or what the rules are.

A week before year end I caught the biggest sculpin I have ever seen. I had to let it go as the season was closed until January 1st. I knew this because I had checked before heading out that day.

Throughout the year I refresh what seasons are open and what are closed by checking with DFG: https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Fishing/...g-Map/southern

I had planned to post the exact same info, until I saw the original post date. Back in late december.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:13 AM   #13
bwana

Tripped up by technology again

Thanks Brandon...

I missed the original post date.

Dark Knight congrats on your legal take just before the closure. I hope you enjoyed your first sheepshead.

I will be fishing these waters when the rockfish closure is lifted. If you see me feel free to paddle splash me.
bwana is offline   Reply With Quote