Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2017, 05:08 PM   #1
stevie951
Lurker

LJ 01/05

Got out in the little window there was recently.. Arrived @ 0500, launched by Greylight at 0600.. Parked off Vallecitios next to the bathrooms cause the main street is closed off.. Few other kayakers unloading/loading and launching here and there, one guy launched in darkness, gangsta ha, as I got my yak to the beach i see a headlight charging sets! Launched to 1.5-2 footers setting as mush on the beach but they where consistent.. only a good 3-4 seconds clearing between sets to get a clean launch, consistent rolling sets, very bumpy ride.. Timed the launch terribly friend looked back as i cleared the last wave which was the cresting 2 footer and he said i looked like Godzilla exploding out of the movie set... Needless to say it was a wet morning... But no spill!

Bait was everywhere, jumping at surface, nice mixed back of greenback and spanish, the greens where on the hefty 1lb size, perfect for my trap ;P On one sabiki throw, seriously latched on to 3 of those suckers.. (6 hook sabiki for the naysayers ) It was nice.. Plopped them one by one in the tank and set off to the point to fish.. We stayed practically in front of the condo the early part of the morning then headed SouthWest and fished a couple miles off the point with the cattle boats (new sea forth) and the kelp ines for no love... One raked bait the whole day...Even after several snags i didn't lose any bait, nothing... Felt like i was walking a dog at one point.. Had a Chovie Led Head on the spinner i was tossing as well as the sabiki and live/trap rig, and a couple friends where throwing Tadys.. Only love was like a 2lb mac on the Tady ;P

There was a ton of life out there, kelp making its way back to the surface i was surprised and happy by that, many birds turning on the bait just busting at the surface and a couple whales but no action... Metered a bunch of streakers and some nasty stuff at the canyon drop offs but nothing wanted to play... High of i think like 62 degrees, left at 1300 and the sun still hadn't made an appearance..

Till next time!
Attached Images

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13

Last edited by stevie951; 02-06-2017 at 05:15 PM.
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:32 PM   #2
YakDout
Brandon

Nice report. Think I saw you out there on a friends boat. About the same for us. Heard of one nice WSB caught and a nice yellow as well. The birds are on the red crab, tons of it still. I noticed the growth of kelp also. Actually kind of hoping our water stays cold a little later in the season this year. You'll get em next time.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:44 PM   #3
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Thanks for the report

Ya get them next time
Old 02-06-2017, 06:11 PM   #4
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHELL View Post
Ya get them next time

Thanks Brother..

And Yak, now that you say that, I did once or twice notice the Gulls sitting on the water eating the red crab...

They where def. swooping for smaller fish but yeah.. I have multiple times seen Red Crab floating in the water it was so abundant but did not see one this time other that when they where in the mouths of the birds destined for destruction ;P Yeah it was quiet.. Too much food out there for a bite to pop off or something else not sure but yeah ... Was telling the guys,,, I'm having so much fun paddling idk what i'm going to do when the bite pops off this season.. Lmao

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:58 AM   #5
Phishphood

Nice report man, and next time. And yeah, all those gulls are dive bombing the crab. I heard a story that some of them washed up in Bodega bay way north of sf...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Phishphood is offline   Reply With Quote