Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
Scion619

Advice fishing LJ With spinning reels

Hey guys totally new to the whole kayak scene here. I picked up my PA 12 about 2 weeks ago and have been out hitting MB just to get me some experience out in the water. I eventually want to hit up LJ soon to tackle YT, WSB, and halibut. Question is I know a good majority of you guys use conventional reels but I myself feel more comfortable with the spinning reels. Is there any spinning reel set ups do you guys prefer out there that can handle the big boys ?

Thanks
Charles
Scion619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion619 View Post
Hey guys totally new to the whole kayak scene here. I picked up my PA 12 about 2 weeks ago and have been out hitting MB just to get me some experience out in the water. I eventually want to hit up LJ soon to tackle YT, WSB, and halibut. Question is I know a good majority of you guys use conventional reels but I myself feel more comfortable with the spinning reels. Is there any spinning reel set ups do you guys prefer out there that can handle the big boys ?

Thanks
Charles
Saragosa series of Shimano, Penn Conquer
Old 09-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
YakMedic

I saw a guy put a major hurting on some tuna and yellowtail on the last boat trip I was on. He was using a Shimano Sustain, looks like an awesome reel. Its sealed for saltwater use, has a max drag of 28lbs, and plenty of line capacity if fishing braid.

I've heard that when buying a spinning reel to expect to pay twice the amount you would for a conventional for equal results in a spinner. Sounds about right with the Sustain's price point at around $350.00
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
finyak

I'd go with a Shimano Baitrunner, and less than $200.00
finyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
Theophilus
Junior

I'd go with the Okuma Epixor EB65 w/bait runner, just came off a 5 day and landed some ytails 30-45# $100.00 cant go wrong
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #6
Scion619

Thanks guys the reels you have all mentioned are in a about my price range. What about rod to go with it? Any suggestions? I got 2 Penn mariner 6'6" 20-50 lb line will that do?
Scion619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #7
seriola_killer
Sled Peddler

You can pick up a Penn Battle 6000 for a little over $100 on ebay, and those coffee grinders are super nice! And as Drake said, the Conquers are nice as well. The days of either super pricey spinning reels or pieces of crap for $39 at Sports Authority are over. Been a conventional guy for years, but the Battles are the reel deal, pardon the pun.
seriola_killer is offline   Reply With Quote