Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2009, 02:51 PM   #1
Fiskadoro

Sierra Trading Post Customer Service

Maybe it's a sign of the times, or maybe it's just me, but I seem to be buying more and more of my gear reels rods etc.. Online. Especially when it comes to kayaking. As a result I have purchased gear from a number of outlets eBay, Amazon, Campmor, etc...

One of the places I've used is the Sierra Trading Post usually when they are selling items on closeout at reduced prices (I'm cheap).

A while back I bought a pair of Henderson booties on sale from them, and when they turned out to be too narrow. When I contacted their customer service and I got a real person on the phone, who then told me in friendly terms to return them for a full refund. I did, and got my money back no problems.

More recently I saw they had Extrasport X-Pel H2O Splash Tops on sale about half off. The short sleeve version for $65.95 instead of the regular $120.00

.... and the long sleeve version Extrasport X-Pel H2O Splash Top - Waterproof, Long Sleeve $72.95 down from the retail $130.00

Now both of those are great deals. I've a friend that owns one and I got the chance to check his out, and I have been thinking of buying one ever since. So I bookmarked the page, and was trying to decide which one I wanted to get. There are pros and cons both ways, but I do like the short sleeved models for the summer. That said winters coming... LOL

Well last night I went back and they had dropped the price again down to $48 for the shorty, $52 for the long sleeve. That may seem like a lot of money for a glorified slicker but for a quality machine washable, breathable, Entrant DT polyester, kayaking splashtop that's just dirt cheap.

I put them both in my "cart" with the plans to buy them both.

Unfortunately when I went to find my credit card I got distracted by work and when I came back to finish the transaction it was after midnight. When I entered all my info the price jumped back up to $65.95 and $72.95.

D@mn!!! Looks like I missed out.

I thought this might be a glitch so I ran a product search with Google and sure enough the showed the lower price, but when I went to STP they now showed the higher price.

About this time I noticed they had a online chat customer service box. Just for grins I entered my info not even expecting to get anyone that late at night.

Maybe 5 seconds later I got this response:

Sue: Thank you for contacting Sierra Trading Post. This is Sue, how may I help you?
Sue: How can I help you Jim

I told her my story...

Sue: The prices went up after midnight probably

I told here the old price was on Google...

Sue: I can't see them on Google
Sue: I can't access Google

I then Cp'd the whole Google search listing showing the old prices....

Sue: I can't adjust prices backdown after they have gone up.

Sue: If you want to order them, please enter a message in Add order instructions, please adjust prices according to Google prices.

So after several assurances from "Sue" I ordered them at the higher prices, paid instead with Paypal (so I could back out if there was an issue) and added this in the comment section:

(it's kinda rough but they only allowed 120 characters and only Caps)

Notes:FOUND ON GOOGLE H2O SHORT SLEEVE $48.00 H2O LONG SLEEVE $52.00 CARTED LOST PRICE IN CHECKOUT, CUSTSERV SAID YOU WILL ADJUST, PLEASE ADJUST PRICES TO GOOGLE PRICES EP435054

Today I got this in a email from Paypal:
Hello Jim Day, You received a full or partial refund of $40.90 USD from Sierra Trading Post.

Followed by this in a email form Sierra Trading Post:

Dear Jim Day, Thank you for your order and comments requesting to honor the Google prices on order #EP435054. We were able to accommodate your request as noted before your order shipped. Due to the change, your new order total is $110.95. (down from $151.85) You should see the change reflected accurately on your shipping confirmation.

Now that's customer service!!!

In a world with endless holds on phone lines, delays, back orders, empty promises, and bait and switch adds... I thought I would pass this on.

Needless to say they will be getting more of my business in the future!!!

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 10-27-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
ericko

Thanks for the heads up...
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:49 PM   #3
Ohana

As I am just getting into fishing off my kayak, this information regarding good suppliers is much appreciated.

Kevin
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohana View Post
As I am just getting into fishing off my kayak, this information regarding good suppliers is much appreciated.

Kevin
Glad you could use it.

Here's some more info on the materiel these are made of.

Entrant DT is the latest addition to the Entrant fabric line, and it kind of redefines their fabrics as far as the applications for waterproof breathable fabrics go. It basically does this by eliminating the need for any lining. The outer surface is slick like a shell but the inner surface is woven which gives the fabric a smooth and dry touch that feels a lot like poly fleece inside.

Previously most waterproof breathable drytop configurations consisted of a 2-layer coated fabric and lining combination or a 3-layer laminated material. Without a lining, EDT is considerably lighter than conventional outerwear and it also manages to deliver exceptional waterproofing and moisture permeability (it breaths well).

Essentially it's windproof and features lasting waterproofing without any coatings, and soft to the touch on the inside without the need for a lining.

Most dry and splash tops have kind of plastic urethane like coatings inside, that are uncomfortable and sticky. These feel like fabric inside, and are easier to get on and off when your out on the water and damp in a kayak.

I usually just wear my drytop launching and landing, and then have to go through the trouble to take it off early in the day, and then put it back on at the end of the day while still on the water. Imagine something tight and clinging getting stuck on your head and shoulders when your sitting in a yak being pushed around by swells and wind waves, as the yak rocks around. It's just no fun to try and take my normal tops off, or even put them back on. I want the upgrade because even if it's still to warm to wear all day, I'll at least be able to get the thing on and off without feeling like I'm going to fall out of my yak. I also like the fact you can wash it, as it's always a hassle to get all the salt off your dry top after a trip.

Here's a graphic of the fabrics nature:

Here's a actual picture of it taken with an electron microscope with water beaded up on it's surface:

With the slick outer surface and trapped air pockets I would think that would be an excellent sun blocker, but I have not yet seen anything about it's actual SPF rating.

Cool stuff... can't wait to get them.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote