Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #21
Fishanywhere
Junior

Outback handles all conditions

I purchased an Outback in January and have put it through its paces since. The mirage drive and rudder are stock and I can easily maintain 3.5 mph on the GPS for extended periods. It tops out at about 6 mph on the flats, but that is a sprint. I have added a couple of pics.

I do quite a bit of trout a salmon fishing so I attached a scotty 1050 downrigger on the livewell, along with a Humminbird 597 CI HD DI combo, rocket launchers, and a scotty flushmount for various attachments. I also wired the mast receiver for 12 volts and installed a running light to illuminate the cockpit at night. I have had it in the wind several times and it tracks easliy with the stock rudder.
It is a little slappy because of the width, but that is also what makes it so stable. I have only stood on it in ideal conditions, but it can be done and makes for better sight fishing. You will stay drier than most kayaks just because you peddle, if for no other reason. the bow does a better than average job of directing spray to the outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobslayer View Post
Thanks for all the input...just waiting for the right deal now. I'm over dragging around my 16' tarpon through my parents booby trapped garage at 4am alone in the dark. I'm leaning towards the outback because of size and stability. If the outback has turbo fins is it similar as far as speed to the revo? How is it in the wind? Wet, slappy?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of Yak1.jpg (58.2 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20120126_191108 copy.jpg (36.9 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20120213_141835 copy.jpg (40.6 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20121013_140027.jpg (51.5 KB, 89 views)
Fishanywhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #22
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishanywhere View Post
I purchased an Outback in January and have put it through its paces since. The mirage drive and rudder are stock and I can easily maintain 3.5 mph on the GPS for extended periods. It tops out at about 6 mph on the flats, but that is a sprint. I have added a couple of pics.

I do quite a bit of trout a salmon fishing so I attached a scotty 1050 downrigger on the livewell, along with a Humminbird 597 CI HD DI combo, rocket launchers, and a scotty flushmount for various attachments. I also wired the mast receiver for 12 volts and installed a running light to illuminate the cockpit at night. I have had it in the wind several times and it tracks easliy with the stock rudder.
It is a little slappy because of the width, but that is also what makes it so stable. I have only stood on it in ideal conditions, but it can be done and makes for better sight fishing. You will stay drier than most kayaks just because you peddle, if for no other reason. the bow does a better than average job of directing spray to the outside.
Thats one nice kayak. Thanks for the great description i would imagine it will go great with the turbo fins. Im still on the ledge of having the ability to stand up or having to sit down and go faster.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #23
NextBite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggameaddict View Post
After looking into a few hobies im gonna start saving up so i can buy a hobie outback or revo 13 but i need some input from you guys. First off which yak is a better yak? I want something fast but stable and not hard to paddle. Im gonna be fishing harbors and the open ocean sometimes so its gotta handle some surf launching. And i see people always put the year their hobies are would an old one have a bad mirage drive or something? Seems pretty pricey for a new mirage drive at $500. So which model would you guys reccomend me to get and what would be a good price to pay for a rigged outback or revo 13 with a ff, turbo fins, upgraded rudder (is this really necassary), bait tank, rod holders, and all that good stuff? Im waiting for your input, thanks and tight lines
Quote:
Originally Posted by slobslayer View Post
I'm in the same situation, I can't decide on revo or outback. Im coming from a tarpon 160 so I'm not worried about being unstable. I like the revo because of speed and it cuts through chop quietly. But I also like how comfortable the outback is. I wouldn't mind being able to stretch out and stand up in some situations. I didn't notice much difference in speed between the two boats. Is there a big difference? Anybody have any positives or negatives? Sorry for beating a dead horse...

You guys could buy mine friends Outback
NextBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:13 AM   #24
taggermike

I've only been on the outback and the adventure. If you're fishing bay or smaller water i would recomend the OB. Off shore the Advis great but its wide batleship style turning radius make a PITA in tight spaces. The revo looks the best compromise between OB and Adv. I maybe one of the only people that prefer the smaller blades to the turbos. Like riding a bike I like to increase my rate a bit then do fewer more powerful strokes. Mikw
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #25
samualson
Junior

Outback VS Revo

The Outback is a drier ride and has much much more areas to put stuff, i don't know how guys in the Revo do it i really don't.

I guess if your a minimalist it's fine but i take everything including the kitchen sink and that's just in the front hatch.

I made a standing platform that works for the Outback but the Revo is too narrow for it.
samualson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #26
slobslayer

Can you post a picture of the standing platform?
slobslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #27
dorado50

I'd go with the one that catches the most fish...imo
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:29 PM   #28
Mongo Johnson

I choose a Revo to cover more ground. But, then I ain't a full-on angler so it worked for me. If I did get hard core, I'd likely look at getting the ama kit for standing on a Revo. A couple comments and turbo fins make me consider getting that kit.

Test drive 'em.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:13 AM   #29
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

spam to the bottom bump

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote