Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
Bigfishhunter96

La jolla noob

I plan on doing some fishing down in la jolla this summer and possible during the spring. I plan on launching from where the la jolla webcam is set up and have a couple questions. First is I have heard of all the closures and would like to know where they begin and end. Like how far out from the launch do you have to get and how far up and down the beach are they. Also I've heard they are well marked and would like to know if that is true. Any help would be great.
Bigfishhunter96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #2
Sdspeed

I asked the same question as many do and this is what they sent me to help out. although i think there has been some changes made recently. i'm sure someone who goes there regularly will chime in.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=15062
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:47 PM   #3
wade

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/scmpas_list.asp

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...highlight=mlpa

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:25 AM   #4
Sdspeed

pdf Map MLPA

[QUOTE=wade;145276]http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/scmpas_list.asp

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...highlight=mlpa[/QUOTE

Thanks Wade, I hadn't seen that one before! I like the gps co-ordinates and distance scale.
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:23 AM   #5
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfishhunter96 View Post
I plan on doing some fishing down in la jolla this summer and possible during the spring. I plan on launching from where the la jolla webcam is set up and have a couple questions. First is I have heard of all the closures and would like to know where they begin and end. Like how far out from the launch do you have to get and how far up and down the beach are they. Also I've heard they are well marked and would like to know if that is true. Any help would be great.
As I read in the post I see that others have given you the links to the closure areas. As for being well marked, that I'm not sure of. It's been a while since I was last out at La Jolla, but when I was there they had not moved the old markers to the new boundary lines. Has that changed? Sure would be nice if the DFG would get off their behinds and move them like they should.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
Bigfishhunter96

Thanks guys. From what I've read is that the blue areas on the maps are only for making bait the red is for no fishing. So basically you just have to paddle out past the yellow buoys and make sure your past la jolla point and then you should be able to fish.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:15 AM   #7
Baja_Traveler

And take note - the yellow spar buoys ARE NOT marking the boundary of the MLPA - the boundary is 1-200 yards further out to the west. If you go out while lobster season is open (right now) you can easily find the boundary from all the lobster floats from the commercial guys that drop them right on the edge.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:33 AM   #8
GregAndrew

There has never been any intention of marking the boundaries of the new MPAs. In the case of the Reserve right in front of the launch at La Jolla, the boundaries are land to the South and East, the pier to the North and approximately 100 yards outside the current yellow pencil buoys. All the Red MPAs are Reserves with no take allowed. Each Blue MPA has it's own rules and restrictions which you are expected to be aware of. As Baja stated, you can generally fish West of the first commercial Lobster Buoys you see.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #9
Bigfishhunter96

Thanks again guys for the helpful information .
Old 01-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #10
Cbad Mike

Looks like your ready to go! Its really simple, just follow or paddle to where you see people fishing. you will see the bouys on the way.
see ya out there,
mike
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #11
tacmik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
As I read in the post I see that others have given you the links to the closure areas. As for being well marked, that I'm not sure of. It's been a while since I was last out at La Jolla, but when I was there they had not moved the old markers to the new boundary lines. Has that changed? Sure would be nice if the DFG would get off their behinds and move them like they should.
There is no DFG anymore.