Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2014, 02:14 PM   #1
SorryCharlie

12/7 DP - Late report

Had a corworker / buddy in town from Fl and he has never fished Ca before, so I borrowed a buddy's PA and we hit the water around 730am.

By buddy from Fl is a big fisherman, but mostly sticks to fly fishing now (landing a 100+ lb tarpon on fly has to be NUTSSS). He was determined to get a butt on the fly, so I took him to where they are and hoped....

Conditions:
Water: Calm, but very dirty and just about 65F all day.
Wind: Could not make up its mind, picked up (10-12 mph max) and died down throughout the day
Weather: Nice day, bit overcast, but all in all a perfect day

We hit some shallow water areas (for you locals I'm sure you can guess where), and for the first hour or so nothing. The bite picked up and I got a nice 22" on the BH, then immediately notice my dropper loop rod twitching. After sending butt number 1 back to get bigger, I dealt with number 2. Number 2 was identical in size at 22", and he also got to go home to get fatter.

My buddy switched to the BH and within 30 minutes got 2 short butts, then the bigger guy hit. After a short fight the fish is about 1 ft away from getting the gaf, and the line pops..... brand new 30lb power pro, never been used..... plus the fish wasn't even freaking out, just sitting there. It was easy a 15-20lb fish, but that's life!

Bite died so we headed out and hit the pipe for a bit. My buddy landed a small sandy and a mac on the fly, so now he's a happy camper. Nothing more at the pipe so we hit the butt area again, and finally he got what he came for, a halibut on fly. It wasn't a monster, just about 18", but it was on the fly so he is more than happy.

Fish a bit longer for a few more bass on fly, then headed in.

Sorry there are no pictures, my gopro is currently at the bottom of the ocean with footage of the first WSB I got spearfishing......
SorryCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:40 PM   #2
blitzburgh

Butt on the fly...just rolls off the tongue

Nice work!
Old 12-10-2014, 02:45 PM   #3
octico

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
Butt on the fly...just rolls off the tongue

Nice work!
LOL .... good one.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:49 PM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

fished there yesterday, not one bite on tossing the 3 and 4 inch BH. Managed a legal on the sardine.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:33 PM   #5
SorryCharlie

The sardines available Sunday were awesome, all very lively and in the 4-6 inch range. Hopefully they are still available this weekend.

The bite was very time dependent for us, we spent a total of about 6 hours in the shallows, with all fish caught in two 45 minute cycles. Outside of that, all we caught was the bottom!
SorryCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote