Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-30-2016, 10:24 AM   #1
iethinker

Havasu Kayak Bassin..........I see Green, Blue, Silver but no Brown.........Got a PB for my efforts!

On 10/23, instead of driving to the ocean I drove out to Havasu for a change of pace. Being that I live so deep in the IE, I guess I can enjoy a proximity advantage over you coastal guys for a change. Anyways, I was rewarded with a diversity of fish and experienced some interesting weather conditions. I'll let the pictures & captions tell the story.

Conditions at the launch were clear and warm. The baseball hat would have to go soon though as full brim was better in the blazing sun that began the trip.

I was drop-shotting some deeper points when something big hit my Zoom Fluke Jr and took off! After several runs on my light line equipped spinning reel I saw silver and landed this 21.5 inch Striped Bass. This is my PB Striper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A Striper bite of mostly dinks continued on the surface when I switched to a Scatter Rap crankbait. They were so aggressive that one hit my lure just after I unhooked one already on board. I had just thrown the lure back out into the water for convenience. OK...Be honest...Should I have gone for the fish-bra pose?

The green guys were around being of intermediate/smaller size mostly striking the aforementioned crankbait in the coves.

This guy hit a texas rigged plastic swim bait only to be wrestled from the grassy pad he was in.

Yay...I landed a Bluegill off a drop-shot near a grassy area.

At some point the wind increased and blasting through the mid channel of the lake seemed more like a certain kayak surfing video situation.

Nothing like ending a day of fishing by being chased off the water by a sudden wind and lightning storm.

The one brownish colored Smallmouth Bass I hooked managed to throw my crankbait mid-jump. I'll be back for him!

Be safe out there,
iethinker

Last edited by iethinker; 10-30-2016 at 08:27 PM. Reason: typos...wow!
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:31 PM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

Havasu SLAM Cool, thanks for sharing had a fun trip there a few weeks back. What area of the lake were you in? Another "river" trip is on my mind.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=29631
Old 10-30-2016, 12:37 PM   #3
iethinker

Typo

Sorry Andy the original date I posted was a typo report is up-to-date now. My focus was on the Bill Williams area.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:31 PM   #4
Ggiannig89

It's always fun throwing baits out there. Thanks for the report.
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:52 PM   #5
King Saba

Fun report! So which is more satisfying with the drive to and back factored into the equation? Salt or fresh?
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:34 AM   #6
Aaron&Julie

Cool action, looks like good fun.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:37 AM   #7
iethinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
Fun report! So which is more satisfying with the drive to and back factored into the equation? Salt or fresh?
The answer has varied over time I suppose. Last year I was mostly into salt. Fresh has been my focus of recent times and I'm still dialing in my game there. Havasu in particular generated added excitement for me due to the remote scenery and relatively new place to explore.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:23 AM   #8
WARRIORMIKE

I love Havasu. Its been years since I've fished that lake. Lots of structure and a well managed lake. Lots of structure for sure!!
WARRIORMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:09 PM   #9
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by iethinker View Post
The answer has varied over time I suppose. Last year I was mostly into salt. Fresh has been my focus of recent times and I'm still dialing in my game there. Havasu in particular generated added excitement for me due to the remote scenery and relatively new place to explore.
That's good. Freshwater is no fun for me anymore after doing the salt for so many trips. Maybe my opinion may change after I hook into a striper.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:24 PM   #10
blitzburgh

Super cool. I want to try a trip like that