Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 01-17-2011, 09:47 AM   #1
taggermike

Baja Report

I finally returned to Baja after 15 years and had some great kayak fishing. I helped a friend transport a travel trailer to Punto Abre Ojos and had 2 days of fishing before we had to head home. The locals told us the fishing in the ocean was pretty slow so we concentrated on the estuary south of town. We were right in the middle of the neap tides so conditions were poor with little current moving but we still found plenty of fish willing to bite. We had a fun bite on bass, corvina, small halibut, and even some small bromm tail grouper. Getting those grouper out of the mangrove roots is just a war. I managed 2 small ones and just got detroyed by a few larger models. Kayaking through the mangrove lined channels was sweet with lots of life to see. I can't wait to get back down there. I'm having some difficulty posting photos but will try again later. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:07 AM   #2
dorado50

Sounds like a good time for sure!. That estuary is very cool. Do you need to have that new permit to fish there now?. The mangroves in Mag Bay are awesome too. Gotta have spectra to get those grouper out! Alot easier from a boat also...
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #3
bigbarrels

Amazing place! I fished that estuary two days in September and caught some of the same species but we also caught some small halibut as well.......never saw another person otw. The locals were calling it slow while we were there but they were referring to yellowfin, wahoo and other fish that migrate into those waters.....in the meantime we were sitting on top of schools of visible yt out on the reefs in the ocean with the occassional grouper and tons of big bonito

[/IMG]

Last edited by bigbarrels; 01-17-2011 at 10:42 PM.
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:39 AM   #4
Matt
Support your local pangas

Sounds like a great trip Mike!!!
Old 01-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
'Cuda

I've seen halibut come out of the water chasing bait in the estuary....truly amazing place.
'Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote