Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
jorluivil

Today in the Boo

I got my first idea of what its like to peddle and peddle and peddle and peddle and....you get the story. We stayed out for hours in some of the most amazing conditions. I'm sure everyone in our group has a bone in their body that needs massage, or, possibly a band-aid. The trip was full moments that can only be described by each individual that was there.........Rob, Matt, Sasha & his Dad, Eric, and Frank.

http://i997.photobucket.com/al

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 05-30-2011 at 07:46 PM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:47 PM   #2
ericko

ok ill start....im the fool that said lets do this roby and as you can see i started the day wet from head to toe. Nothing lost but rudder pin snapped bait tank motor mount broke all reals are going to the shop for a tune up there full of sand cell phone forgot was in my pocket is trash the worst part was my diabetic meter also in pocket no longer works...the second try was a piece of cake once we all got out frank sent us on A long trip, the swell was large lets just sat i felt like chumming the water....with me not feeling well things broke i called it a day at 1130.no fish seen or caught..total expense kayak repair $10 ,4 real tune up $80, up grade on phone $500 droid comando water resistant....diabetic meter dont no yet but the praying that insurance will take care of it originally $800................TIME WITH MY KAYAK BUDDIES PRICELESS...
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:51 PM   #3
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Quote:
ericko ok ill start....im the fool that said lets do this roby and as you can see i started the day wet from head to toe. Nothing lost but rudder pin snapped bait tank motor mount broke all reals are going to the shop for a tune up there full of sand cell phone forgot was in my pocket is trash the worst part was my diabetic meter also in pocket no longer works...the second try was a piece of cake once we all got out frank sent us on A long trip, the swell was large lets just sat i felt like chumming the water....with me not feeling well things broke i called it a day at 1130.no fish seen or caught..total expense kayak repair $10 ,4 real tune up $80, up grade on phone $500 droid comando water resistant....diabetic meter dont no yet but the praying that insurance will take care of it originally $800................TIME WITH MY KAYAK BUDDIES PRICELESS...
Hell yeah!!!!
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:52 PM   #4
Dan

nice photos! thumpy, but it looks like you just have to get through one and you're home free....ericko: good for you for having that attitude!

If I get out and the current is going uphill, I get all bitchy.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:58 PM   #5
tagyak

oh sh!t, i thought that was a boat out there in the water. i didn't put 2 & 2 together till i read ericks post.
sorry to hear about the monitor, hopefully it is covered by insurance and lack of fish. but really it has to have been better than spending this holiday with a father-in-law that is a major diva that i have a personality problem with......
looking forward to hitting the water soon!!!!
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:59 PM   #6
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Okay I am second!!

Before i got out i stowed everything that can move inside my kayak, including my HAT (Roby).Nothing is on top of the kayak but the bait tank and the seat.

From all the PM's i received in the past on how to stay dry, i now happily sit by the water and watch them break i count the waves and wait for the lull., i do this 3 or 4 times and finally wait for the last wave to come in, as the last wave goes back into the ocean i hop in my kayak and paddle as fast as i can. Home free... Then i open the front hatch, put my hat and rod and reels into place take out my fishing bag etc.

I had never experienced swells like the swells we had there today... I mean i literally felt like Patrick Swazee going up that big swell and all the way down. It was like a roller coaster.

Had lots of fun...

On the way back i packed everything in again.

On the way back i took my time, and i got as close as I could. I coun'ted the sets waited for the lull paddle in as fast i can Jumped out and was home free. I stayed dried

Last edited by wiredantz; 05-30-2011 at 08:36 PM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
jorluivil

Although I only ended up with a 17" Bocaccio and 12" Rock Cod all I can say is that it was simply amazing. I have never had as much adrenaline pumping through my body as I did today before the launch just before the landing and everything in between. Much Like Ericko I too took up Roby on an invite to venture out in the open, once we got there it was game on. I have never had my heart beating as fast as I did today just before we landed, the difference between YEAH!!!! and OMFG!!!! was seconds, literally. At the end of the day we all made back home, some a little beat and others a little lighter in the wallet but WE MADE IT HOME. Looking forward to the next trip with the BWE Gang!!!!!

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:18 PM   #8
Lets_Fish

Looks like time on the water enjoyed by all.

Sorry to hear about the launch loses & hope your insurance covers the lost.
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:30 PM   #9
StinkyMatt

First the good:

Launched and landed without incident.

The rest was a little frustrating:

I get sea sick easily (big sissy) Never chummed but felt it a little.

Sold my FF a few days ago and my new one is scheduled to arrive Tuesday. New place no FF. This place was SUPER fishy, kelp, bait, deep drop offs.

STUPID me, I got a nice fish I couldn't properly identify on the spot, for some reson I had the minimum size all mixed up. Ended up releasing a nice 24" fissshy.

Sorry to see Erick get his ass handed to him. Bet you'll make it up on the next trip!
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:38 PM   #10
ericko

had the $$$ for ya but forgot to give it to ya sorry..
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:08 AM   #11
YakMedic

Looks like a good time was had by all despite some setbacks. I'm going to have to weasel myself an invite with you guys sometime.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:22 AM   #12
Regor
Greg

Nice pics, and sounded .... fun & interesting.
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:37 AM   #13
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericko View Post
ok ill start....im the fool that said lets do this roby and as you can see i started the day wet from head to toe. Nothing lost but rudder pin snapped bait tank motor mount broke all reals are going to the shop for a tune up there full of sand cell phone forgot was in my pocket is trash the worst part was my diabetic meter also in pocket no longer works...the second try was a piece of cake once we all got out frank sent us on A long trip, the swell was large lets just sat i felt like chumming the water....with me not feeling well things broke i called it a day at 1130.no fish seen or caught..total expense kayak repair $10 ,4 real tune up $80, up grade on phone $500 droid comando water resistant....diabetic meter dont no yet but the praying that insurance will take care of it originally $800................TIME WITH MY KAYAK BUDDIES PRICELESS...

Yup...Priceless!

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:02 AM   #14
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
kayak repair $10
cha ching

Reminds me of the good ol days where we would set out to try new spots all the time. Places like Mission Beach, Coronado, IB, Puerto Nuevo, Salsepuedes......always an adventure. That is kayak fishing!
Old 05-31-2011, 07:41 AM   #15
bubblehide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericko View Post

Wow, sorry to hear that, I hope insurance picks it up for you.

On another note, the drop off by the buoy almost always produces the rock fish.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:25 AM   #16
Aaron&Julie

Where's the Boo?
Don't usually see shorebreak like that at La Jolla, so figuring up your Long Beach way.
Sounds like fun, mostly.
A 17" salmon grouper is pretty good size for inshore fishing. And a 12" rockfish to boot will make quite a few fish tacos. Yumm!
Old 05-31-2011, 10:20 AM   #17
Flyfisher70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie View Post
Where's the Boo?
Malibu
Flyfisher70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:31 AM   #18
radastaff

Malibu
LA county

nice meeting you all
i was suprised u guys were still at the launch when i came in
iam always the last one back in it seems
but the wind was getting nasty
i was onw around 6:30am

too bad the howling winds dropped the water temp over 5 degrees too on sunday
ugg

that spot can cause injuries when its pumpin
and reports said 1-2 footers
NOT!
try 4-5 shore break dumpers

always stow ure hat

good idea to wait a few sets there
when its pumpin
to get a feel for the lull
both at launch and landing
getting suprised by a sneaker when u thought it was a lull
is no fun

def not like LJ with the long shallow beach

sorry bout the loss of gear
it was a stowing day fur sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie View Post
Where's the Boo?
Don't usually see shorebreak like that at La Jolla, so figuring up your Long Beach way.
Sounds like fun, mostly.
A 17" salmon grouper is pretty good size for inshore fishing. And a 12" rockfish to boot will make quite a few fish tacos. Yumm!
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:17 AM   #19
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
cha ching
LMFAO

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:24 AM   #20
knightnsd

Was out Memorial day and turned around from Mission Bay jetty, earlier in the week I felt your pain on ffice:smarttags" />lace w:st="on">La Jollalace> shores and was blessed that few people caught my act beaching last Wed. All four poles tangled as my yak tossed on a wave breaking behind me, hate those double break days when you need eyes in front and behind to watch the waves. Thank God the poles tangled so I kept them all, as only my best pole was tied down, another lesson learned. That day I placed my gaff below as well in the hold, jigs cut-off and placed in bait tank but my new Torium was christened and scraped repeatedly on the shoreline as I played in the surf with my paddle 20 yards out. Tore all the reels apart, lost a .38 cent washer on the Torium that has been or order for a week, thank God for online schematics, it was the drag-bearing thrust washer that rolled through my entire garage somewhere. Got smart and ordered all of the washers for spares just in case of a future repeat that I am hoping is a long time away. Only thing I ended up losing was the bait tank pick-up tube, my dignity, and a lot of time of cleaning reels! That is what I think I lost, I'll find out when I am out later this week, surf-willing.fficeffice" />>>
knightnsd is offline   Reply With Quote