Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
Fisherman4454
Junior

Malibu

WSB are till showing up here. I didn't go out today but a buddy who owns a boat came up with 2 40 lb class fish. Does anyone on here fish malibu? seems like the guys up here either don't care for the internet or are wayyyyyy more territorial. whats up with that?
Fisherman4454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

thanks for the heads up. never fished malibu yet. and maybe they are keeping a tight lip on the bite.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:00 AM   #3
B man
Junior

I'm new to yak fishing so learning the ropes. Went out to Zuma beach today 8:30 - 11am and caught a small rock fish and a small lizard fish on frozen squid. Took in alot of water launch so was running heavy with no bilge pump = paddling was slow and I didn't go to far out. Think i'll stick to Ventura/Oxnard harbors
B man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:37 AM   #4
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman4454 View Post
WSB are till showing up here. I didn't go out today but a buddy who owns a boat came up with 2 40 lb class fish. Does anyone on here fish malibu? seems like the guys up here either don't care for the internet or are wayyyyyy more territorial. whats up with that?
Damn!!! I'd give you some basic info about Malibu, like where to launch, what water temps are important or even parking hours on PCH, but then someone would have to kill me.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:50 AM   #5
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post
Damn!!! I'd give you some basic info about Malibu, like where to launch, what water temps are important or even parking hours on PCH, but then someone would have to kill me.

Jim
PM sent, not for fishing info, I need a recipe for sugar cookies.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
radastaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by B man View Post
I'm new to yak fishing so learning the ropes. Went out to Zuma beach today 8:30 - 11am and caught a small rock fish and a small lizard fish on frozen squid. Took in alot of water launch so was running heavy with no bilge pump = paddling was slow and I didn't go to far out. Think i'll stick to Ventura/Oxnard harbors

if u hit Zuma proper
u broke the new law
its out of bounds for fishing

unless u were 3 mi or farther out

if u hit broad beach north
and were werkin palegics
u be ok

there are 2 new zones
the northern zone's rules are worded awkwardly

get a hand pump
it is an important
accessary

wsb can be had
up and down the coast
wherever there is kelp
and squid

Last edited by radastaff; 08-05-2012 at 12:07 PM.
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
Fisherman4454
Junior

[QUOTE=radastaff;128123]if u hit Zuma proper
u broke the new law

and were werkin palegics
u be ok

there are 2 new zones

Yeah be careful dude, that's a hefty fine if u get caught, and ignorance of the law isn't an excuse

http://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.as...95&inline=true

Wording is a little weird, yeah, but for us non spearos zuma is off limits for all fish, dume is off limits for everyone
Old 08-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
PM sent, not for fishing info, I need a recipe for sugar cookies.
No sugar cookies in Malibu, but I do know a thing or two about biscuits
Old 08-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #9
B man
Junior

Ooops!!! Thanks for the info. and the map for off limit areas. I asked a lifeguard a few weeks back and they didnt mention it. Glad I didnt get caught. I think I'll stick to Ventura Harbor and outlet for a bit. Might head out Saturday morning a little yak time.
B man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:26 AM   #10
Fisherman4454
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by B man View Post
Ooops!!! Thanks for the info. and the map for off limit areas. I asked a lifeguard a few weeks back and they didnt mention it. Glad I didnt get caught. I think I'll stick to Ventura Harbor and outlet for a bit. Might head out Saturday morning a little yak time.

Try leo Carrillo and county line. Both pretty mellow launches and good fishing. The cuda have been in pretty thick, sand bass and calicos are always around too
Old 08-06-2012, 06:28 AM   #11
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman4454 View Post
Try leo Carrillo and county line. Both pretty mellow launches and good fishing. The cuda have been in pretty thick, sand bass and calicos are always around too

Actually County Line is probably the most dangerous launch spot commonly fished in Malibu. Used to be a group of "locals" would tell every Newbie they met that the fish were biting at County Line. They'd then go and take pictures of them when they wiped out in the surf and got hurt or lost their gear.

In general Leo and County line get bigger surf and are better for more advanced kayakers, while the easier launches are on the lee side of the point east of point Dume, Esco, Corral Canyon, and Malibu Pier.

I use magic seaweed to check surf conditions.
http://magicseaweed.com/County-Line-...rf-Report/277/

http://magicseaweed.com/Malibu-First...rf-Report/279/

Right now County Line is good do to the South swell but next week it's probably going to get a little brutal. Generally any time it lists surf over three feet it's not worth going unless you know what your doing, and I'd say that for all the launches, with the exception is Malibu pier which is almost always do-able.

County Line and Leo can be epic for Seabass and can always produce quality Rockfish, and some big butts. Esco is still good but keep in mind BKR the reef west of Paradise Cove is now in a reserve. Corral is good for Halibut and can be Epic for Tsharks, Malibu Pier is probably the most underrated Halibut fishing in So Cal. I've seen more Halibut over forty pounds taken between the Pier and the Pepperdine spike than anywhere else in California.

Watch out for the "locals only" crowd. 90% of the people that you meet there will be amazingly cool, but there are a few really whacked individuals that fish there. In general if you post reports about fishing Malibu it's best to leave out the location, otherwise you'll be hunted down by the "We own Malibu's Ocean" nutcase crowd.

Ooooopsss..... Now I've gone and said too much. Surely someones going to have to vandalize my car for posting all that secret info.

Jim
Old 08-06-2012, 07:01 AM   #12
mtnbykr2

glad to hear you didn't get caught at the Zu, let me know about next Saturday
I may tag along...we will see
Old 08-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #13
radastaff

[QUOTE=Fisherman4454;128125]
Quote:
Originally Posted by radastaff View Post
if u hit Zuma proper
u broke the new law

and were werkin palegics
u be ok

there are 2 new zones

Yeah be careful dude, that's a hefty fine if u get caught, and ignorance of the law isn't an excuse

http://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.as...95&inline=true

Wording is a little weird, yeah, but for us non spearos zuma is off limits for all fish, dume is off limits for everyone

the northern zone
is fishable if your fishing for palegics
wether your a spero or not

according to the dfg
and a guy who asked them specifically that posts at scsurffishing
a few months back

Leo can be mellow at times
but is rocky by the stairs
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #14
mtnbykr2

Leo is doablejust check the tide and swell for the day first, I am still iffy on that launch myself, just stow "everything" if in doubt, you will do fine...
I put back a 43 inch ling in there on plastic last year, or the year before...
lots of good fishing in there
Old 08-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #15
monkeyfishturds

Quote:

the northern zone
is fishable if your fishing for palegics
wether your a spero or not

according to the dfg
and a guy who asked them specifically that posts at scsurffishing
a few months back

Leo can be mellow at times
but is rocky by the stairs
Point Dume State Marine Conservation Area

Map: JPG | PDF
Boundary: This area is bounded by the mean high tide line and straight lines connecting the following points in the order listed:
34° 02.28' N. lat. 118° 53.00' W. long.;
33° 59.14' N. lat. 118° 53.00' W. long.; thence southeastward along the three nautical mile offshore boundary to
33° 56.96' N. lat. 118° 49.20' W. long.; and
34° 00.76' N. lat. 118° 49.20' W. long.

Permitted/Prohibited Uses: Take of all living marine resources is prohibited except:
  1. The recreational take of pelagic finfish, including Pacific bonito, and white seabass by spearfishing is allowed.

If you read closely radastaff, white sea bass are not on the pelagic finfish list. Only spearfishermen are allowed to take them in this area, not recreational fishermen.
But since this is a San Diego based site, with more yellowtail and white sea bass than anywhere in So.Cal.. Why would they bother driving 3 hours to Malibu?
With white sea bass being caught from Punta Baja to Monterey,Ca. Seems pointless to go chasing ones tail?

Last edited by monkeyfishturds; 08-07-2012 at 06:52 PM.
monkeyfishturds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:52 AM   #16
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyfishturds View Post
..... Why would they bother.... Seems pointless....
Not worth the drive!!! Pointless!!!! No fish in Malibu!!!!

Disclaimer: I'd like to point out for personal safety reasons that the above post in no way suggests that there is, has been, or ever will be a bite in Malibu, and all those who do fish Malibu, or mention it on the internet in any manner do so at their own risk.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:18 AM   #17
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post
Not worth the drive!!! Pointless!!!! No fish in Malibu!!!!

Disclaimer: I'd like to point out for personal safety reasons that the above post in no way suggests that there is, has been, or ever will be a bite in Malibu, and all those who do fish Malibu, or mention it on the internet in any manner do so at their own risk.
wooooord

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #18
monkeyfishturds

Quote:
if u hit Zuma proper
u broke the new law

and were werkin palegics
u be ok

wsb can be had
up and down the coast
wherever there is kelp
and squid

Zuma and Broad Beach are the same, pelagics only, no white sea bass for fishermen. The closure ends at Encinal Canyon. This MLPA closure will be fully realized in the near future. Squid don't always spawn in the same place every year. Many years, they spawn at Trancas Point/Broad Beach. Next time and everytime they do in the future, we will not be able to fish for white sea bass there.

Jim. when you used to go on the L.A. sites, you would tell them to fish La Jolla. Now your on the La Jolla site telling them to fish Malibu. Why haven't you told them to fish your area, Redondo/Manhatten Beach? There has been and still is a white sea bass bite in your neck of the woods.
monkeyfishturds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #19
'Cuda

Royal Palms State Beach Park north of San Pedro used to produce some good WSB before the record red tides of '05....especially juveniles throwing a Kroc in the kelp beds....I had my best Calico day there...11 fish in the 4-6 lb range in an hour or so. Used to catch halibut every other outing at places like off Sunset Point and County Line...you can still get big threshers if you paddle far enough out and remember the world record spear caught WSB...97 lbs...was straight out from Neptune's Net.
But me.....I go down to Baja.
'Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #20
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Jim. when you used to go on the L.A. sites, you would tell them to fish La Jolla. Now your on the La Jolla site telling them to fish Malibu.
I'm not sure why you think this threads about me, perhaps it's because you think it's about you. I do enjoy sharing actual fishing info, but in this case I was just making some generalized jokes about how uptight some Malibu fisherman can be when it comes to the web, and how they think they own the place. Maybe you shouldn't take it so personally.

Quote:
Why haven't you told them to fish your area, Redondo/Manhatten Beach?
Redondo is not mine. I used to live aboard at King Harbor and fished it almost daily 20 years ago so I know Redondo, and know how to fish it. That said I hardly fish it anymore. It's kind of like a ex-wife: I know it like the back of my hand but don't get the urge to go there that often.

Quote:
There has been and still is a white sea bass bite in your neck of the woods.
News to me. No doubt the Redondo guys will be happy to hear that. Maybe you can take out a banner ad.

I guess that's one way to keep people out of Malibu.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 08-08-2012 at 05:06 PM.