Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-15-2017, 05:18 PM   #21
Sheephead

Wish i knew not to bring all my tackle (hooks, line, weights, pliers, knives, swivels, lures, ect). Only bring what you need and put it in a dry bag or water tight box.

I also wish I had known your supposed to rinse your rods/ reels with freshwater afterwards too...

As a child I grew up fishing the pier's for Mackerel. Then, when I realized i couldn't progress my passion any further without owning a boat I convinced my parents to chip in and get me a kayak. The cheapest way to get out on the water without spending the crazy amount of money a 15 year old doesn't have.

I went from catching mackerel off a pier to cluelessly fishing the bays for bass. Once I got comfortable with my kayak and myself I went to La Jolla. Someone told me to use mackerel as bait for yellowtail. After catching mackerel for fun for so many years I never thought about using a WHOLE LIVE ONE for bait! I remember trying to figure out hook the damn thing, having no clue what I was doing. (one of my most favorite kayak fishing memories)

When I fish started fishing in the ocean I got hooked on the feeling of being so close to nature. I really feel part of the ocean's ecosystem while on a kayak. It makes you feel vulnerable. A feeling you can't get while on a boat. BUT I didn't know anything about salt water corrosion and lost about $500 in rusted hooks, lures, pliers, ect. Not to mention all my reels locking up to the point where 3 reels costed $350 to get serviced..
Sheephead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:40 PM   #22
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
As opposed to Expensive, Heavy Kayaks....

PICTURE taken at San Quintin Baja Norte.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:14 PM   #23
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chambers View Post
What's the best way to figure out whether the boat you're considering will be a good fit for the type of fishing you want to do?
I will let the more experience kayakers here to answer the above question.

My first kayak was a used 14' Malibu. Paddle only. Very stable.

During the first trip in Baja, it was clear that the Hobie Mirage Drive kayaks were the better choice. Although there are different Hobie Mirage Drive kayaks.

PA 14' being the heaviest one for single person if I am not mistaken.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:38 PM   #24
FISH11

After having learned all about how to choose the kayaks (for surf launching and LJ) in the post here on BWE in early 2013, about starting in the bays, how to rig it for catching Yellowtail. Since finding all this info and then getting to put it into use and build on that from all the time on the water. I found used early model Malibu X Factor at Fast Lane with all but a bait tank, so I built one. Loved the super stability and storage space, caught a lot of Yellow on it after 5 or 6 month of getting to know exactly what fishing line to use, knot to tie and hook to use. After 3 years I started using a Jackson Cuda 14 and sold it after using it and catching Yellows on it for 8 months (it never had anything close to the stability and for going over or incoming the surf at LJ as the Malibu X Factor. I June of 2016 I got a Hobie Revo 13 and I sold the older Malibu and have enjoyed the Mirage drive and landed Yellows, etc. on it but can't master how to get it to respond in the surf like my 2016 Malibu X Factor 14.4 . I November 2016 I bought slightly used 2016 Malibu X Factor because I found a super deal and had all the gear to set it up already. I enjoy using it also. What the bottom line is, is that all good kayaks that can handle the Surf and distances at LJ are both fun, wether it's Mirage Drive or Paddle. I can choose which, to take based on weather reports for size of surf , wind speeds and currents. If you visit this site and read a lot posts, then there isn't too much you couldn't have learned. Also watched Jim Sammons youtube videos on how to launch and land in the surf. I almost exclusively fish in LJ for Yellowtail. I LOVE BWE!

Last edited by FISH11; 07-15-2017 at 10:27 PM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:07 PM   #25
Orca Winfrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chambers View Post
Practicing is a great idea...one I bet most people never do. What do you use for GPS?
I currently use my a nav app on my phone and I have an old fashioned compass. Just bought a used Garmin 72 GPS that I'm going to use as a backup. It's no fun when fog rolls in and you lose all sense of direction.

Oh. A hand held marine radio is also a good idea.
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:11 AM   #26
FullFlavorPike

How to properly work a lever drag
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:50 AM   #27
_Obed
Bird nest master

During the first trip in Baja, it was clear that the Hobie Mirage Drive kayaks were the better choice.

comments like these always crack me the fuck up. especially since most of my buddies who live and fish down there dont even have one. the first hobbie i ever seen in MX is in Campeche, Merida.

but anyways i wish i new more knots then using swivels. it has saved me alot of money sitting on the couch learning knots.
_Obed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:14 PM   #28
GregAndrew

1) If you feel like you are trying to reinvent the wheel, there are probably 15 other guys that had the same idea (it didn't work for them either).

2) There is no "all-around good" anything. Get what you need the first time or rent a storage space for everything else.

3) You get what you pay for (see #1 & 2 above).

4) Kayak fishing is an endless number of Nat Geo Moments.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:46 PM   #29
Geno Machino
"Relax"

Lanyard

anything I do not want to lose - in case I flip...was the costliest lesson I've learned so far.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:21 AM   #30
Vikingj

Learn to tie a few easy but fool proof knots. As a newbie to fishing and kayaks I got a yt hooked up on my 1st trip to LJ and the knot failed. It took me 9 yrs to get another chance and I nailed him!
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote