Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-10-2018, 11:06 AM   #1
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Pre-Flight Checklist

What SHOULD BE on our pre-flight checklist for inspection each time before we launch our kayaks to fish in the ocean?

What spare parts SHOULD we carry with us?

What tools should we have for emergency repairs?

I am reexamining my own checklists and would like some experienced insight from others who have had to deal with breakdowns, on-ocean repairs and emergencies.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:47 PM   #2
DanaPT

Spare parts for the Hobie OB: I carry open ended wrench and spare drive cables. I do need an extra stainless lock nut. I've had one come undone and lost to Poseidon.

of course carry a paddle and radio just in case.

As for inspections, I really don't look at too much more than the drive.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:38 PM   #3
WestFork

I haven't had any breakdowns in my OB but based on recent reported drive failures am questioning the wisdom of me launching without spare cables and a wrench. Also, at least one fin might be useful. I second paddle, radio and add compass, some spare water and emergency food.
WestFork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:18 PM   #4
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

The pin that holds the fin in position fell out on my Outback and it went flaccid, making the entire Mirage drive useless. Luckily, the fin didn't slip off the post and sink. I think the flimsy split ring that holds the clevis pin in place fell off or rusted off. It's a very small part, so I carry a spare now.

Paddling my Outback back against the wind and current was a pain in the butt.

A string came off my brothers rudder and we couldn't tighten it back down without a #2 phillips head screwdriver. Trying to use my knife tip was useless. We ended up holding our kayaks together parallel, we both peddled, and I steered with my rudder until we got back to the launch area. I carry a small keycain size phillips head and flat blade screwdriver now, and an extra screw & washer for repairing a broken rudder control string.

The plastic rudder post looks like something waiting to break. I always make sure I have a spare clipped in place under the lid of my 8" hatch.

I'm going to collect up a list of spare parts, vacuum pack them in plastic and fasten this emergency parts kit somewhere inside my hull.

I was having electrical connection issues with the connectors on the back of my fish finder. A friendly boat came by and he gave me a dab of dialectic grease that seemed to help. I'm not sure why, but it did. Dialectic grease is non-conductive. O'Reilly's has small single use packets at the counter for something like 50 cents each.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 10-10-2018 at 06:13 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:25 PM   #5
WestFork

"The pin that holds the fin in position fell out on my Outback and it went flaccid, making the entire Mirage drive useless. Luckily, the fin didn't slip off the post and sink. I think the flimsy split ring that holds the clevis pin in place fell off or rusted off."

On my old (2006) OB I had the same thing happen, only I lost the fin. I replaced both split rings with stainless ones that were stouter and never had another problem.
WestFork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:51 AM   #6
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestFork View Post
I replaced both split rings with stainless ones that were stouter and never had another problem.

Yep. The split rings we have in our tackle box are far superior.