Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-07-2018, 06:52 PM   #1
drunkentiger765
Junior

LJ 10/7

Not much to report.

Has been a while for me and starting to get back out regularly.
Launching was a bit rough. Got a new inflatable PFD since I never wore my standard one and the tragedy of Dave made me take safety a bit more seriously.

Well when launching found out that an inflatable PFD is a bit sensitive, one C02 canister down....

Water was rough. Wind not too bad but the swells were white caps every now and again.

Trolled around, couple of football size bonito but not much else.

Stay safe out there.
drunkentiger765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:56 PM   #2
Semper Fi-shing

Thanks for the report. I caught a nice size bonita as well. Too bad it wasnt a wahoo. He volunteered to be lobster bait anyhow
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2018, 08:18 PM   #3
FISH11

Talking

Sweet results on repurposing the Bonita.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:16 AM   #4
bender0240

Thanks for the report. I was out on Saturday the surface salad/junk was all over. Has it improved at all?
bender0240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:41 AM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender0240 View Post
Thanks for the report. I was out on Saturday the surface salad/junk was all over. Has it improved at all?

It’s from lobster season opening. The boats and ropes from hoops and traps chop up the salad. It probably won’t get better anytime soon. Maybe worse as the season progresses.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:43 AM   #6
drunkentiger765
Junior

There was still alot of kelp all over the place but did find it manageable to troll around. Just had to pay attention the whole time to make sure I didnt cross any of the larger floats
Old 10-08-2018, 11:19 AM   #7
Semper Fi-shing

Yeah, it was pretty much an obstacle course everywhere but luckily I managed to avoid getting my rudder or trolled mackerel stuck or dragging anyone hoops.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:05 PM   #8
FISH11

It's normal during lobster season. It's like a slalom course if you want to troll, and you got to keep the line a lot shorter than usual.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:49 PM   #9
deptrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkentiger765 View Post
Got a new inflatable PFD since I never wore my standard one and the tragedy of Dave made me take safety a bit more seriously.

Well when launching found out that an inflatable PFD is a bit sensitive, one C02 canister down....
The kayak-specific PFDs are super comfortable. I wear my Mustang inflatable on the boat and NRS Chinook on the kayak.

Dave
deptrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:28 PM   #10
sculpins4bait

if you can try to trade that auto inflate pfd to one with a ripcord such as the mustang mentioned
sculpins4bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:29 PM   #11
drunkentiger765
Junior

Thanks for the idea.

Pretty sure I can make the auto one I have manual by just taking out the water sensing pin since it does have the manual pull string.

Usually I dont think the auto is a problem aside from when the swells are really crazy which isnt common at the launch, but that is the scenario when I would want my pfd at its best. haha

So im going to debate taking out the water sense pin and making it manual, or just risking keeping it auto, and if it does go off again then moving onto one of the kayaking/fishing style pfds.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:03 AM   #12
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkentiger765 View Post
Thanks for the idea.

Pretty sure I can make the auto one I have manual by just taking out the water sensing pin since it does have the manual pull string.

Usually I dont think the auto is a problem aside from when the swells are really crazy which isnt common at the launch, but that is the scenario when I would want my pfd at its best. haha

So im going to debate taking out the water sense pin and making it manual, or just risking keeping it auto, and if it does go off again then moving onto one of the kayaking/fishing style pfds.

I have one of these west marine auto fill vests. and when wet it will go off. I replaced the cartridge and removed the water sensor, but have always wondered if it will inflate when I pull the string? I do now use the kayak vest, no worries there just has to be on!
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote