Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 09:47 PM   #1
Corey

LJ 8/29 AM - What a toad!!!!!

Fished this morning from 5:30a - 2:30p. The swell was up a bit, probably 4' NW. The fog was thick and I didn't see the sun until about noon. There was absolutely no visible surface activity until the sun came out and it warmed up. Paddling around in the morning fog, I worked the same general area where I picked up my two fish on sat (approx 3/4). About 10am, I finally get a taker on a 10" spanish just as I trolled past a bull kelp stringer. After an impressively spirited 2 minute battle, this TOAD came to gaff:

A whopping 8#; Let the heckling begin :lol: (at least it's bigger than Brad's.) 8)

About 12:30 the macs started pushing up the chovies en masse. Saw a few yellows boiling in the mix, but couldn't get at 'em. The south current seemed to pick up in the early afternoon, making it very difficult to stay out of the kelp. With no other takers except for a pesky dog (took 3 baits!!) I decided to pack it in. The surf was up on the landing, but really easy to time for a dry ride in. It looked like things might pick up as the afternoon went on. Did anyone fish the pm?

get bent,

corey
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 06:09 AM   #2
madscientist

Nice to see I'm not the only baby killer out there . Still, as Lambcrew says, "a little one in the boat is better than a big one in the kelp" (I love that saying, Adi). I'm heading out this PM, will keep you posted.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 06:51 AM   #3
tattuna

Cool seeying you out there Corey. It was my first time fishing LJ, so I spent the first couple hours just trying to figure out where to make bait. The only fish I saw anyone land was that beast you got. It was a long day for me. Left home at 3:30 a.m., got home at 9:30 p.m. I'll be back out there soon. Thanx for all your help man!
tattuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 08:09 AM   #4
Corey

Hey Charles, thanks for the pic. Did you get your paddle?
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 08:20 AM   #5
tattuna

Got it! Tryin it out Thursday!
tattuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 10:06 AM   #6
woodchucker

tattuna,
I feel your pain on the long migration to lj.Im in riverside and 0-7 this summer.
Billy.
woodchucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 11:03 AM   #7
GBF

Nice fish Bro...........better than anything I've gotten in a while. I'll be fishing this monday after a 4 month layoff!!

GBF
Old 08-30-2005, 02:16 PM   #8
Iceman
Administrator

I am confused........so you released the 8 pounder and kept that gut hooked 6 pound toddler? :twisted: Don't hold it so close to your head, next time.

Wait until you see the TOAD that I wrestled with today BBBBBBBeeeeeyatch!!!!!!!!
Old 08-30-2005, 05:19 PM   #9
Iceman
Administrator

We had to launch down by the restrooms this morning as a powerpole went down on Ave Playa and the street was closed until around 8 AM. Surf was still up, a not so dry launch, but a dry landing. South wind, opposing current..........sucked and tons of kelp and grass. Water looked green everywhere I went with about 10 feet of visibility. Wind was 5-6 kts most of the morning kicked up a little and fog cruised through from 7-9, dropping to 1/4 mile for a bit. As I paddled in around 10, it looked to be getting good, with the breeze dying andsunny skies. Saw one lone fish come up early landed right on it twice with a plastic, por nada. Some big jags of the pinheads came rolling through with nothing molesting them other than the cormerants, gulls and pelicans. Thought I was taking home the skunk until this freight train hit and saved the day.

Old 08-30-2005, 05:30 PM   #10
kurt

Wow. Looks like the same size of fish i was getting in a wide open white croaker bite down in Erendira over the weekend. I can barely type this, my arms are so burned out.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 06:14 PM   #11
Iceman
Administrator

Kurt I heard you feasted like kings on those tomcod. 20 of those and you have tacos.............for one :lol:
Old 08-30-2005, 06:31 PM   #12
kurt

The smaller the fish, the better it tastes. I just baked 12,000 guppies for dinner. Tomorrow's menu: sea monkeys with a glass of red tide.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 08:17 PM   #13
DSR*visuals

Ice,

what do you feel is going on out there? Turned green a bit, I saw it from the road all the way up the coast today. Think the fish are still around, bigger units?

looks like a smaller North swell is on us right now, lasting until the end of the week.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:20 AM   #14
madscientist

Have I started a trend? See who can catch the smallest fish of each species? I see your calico and raise you a postage stamp sand dab!
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:06 PM   #15
BOZ
Junior

Water conditions

Today in Carlsbad I noticed some traces of red tide. Seems like this last local NW wind swell rolled the water again. It's time for the summer long plankton orgie to end.

Boz
BOZ is offline   Reply With Quote