Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2017, 09:59 AM   #1
crashcrow

North County San Diego

I've been looking at sonar charts and it looks pretty promising near the smokestack. Also thinking about the fish haven outside of Oceanside harbor. Just trying to find some action in my area closer than La Jolla or Baja. Anyone fish these areas? Any luck? Want to head out sometime?

Mike
crashcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:19 AM   #2
Dirty Curti

I've been fishing out of the Harbor the last couple of weeks. I head over to the pier where there is tons of bait, Anchovies, Macs of all sizes. I've meetered many marks but the only thing I've been able to hook is a Thresher both weeks.

Last week I paddled all of the way to the Buc pipe where there is endless Calicos and Macs if you want to get on a wide open bite. I personal want to pull on the larger model fish so after a while I paddled back to the pier towing a mac flyline and one down low. So far no luck.

The smoke stack (Carlsbad Power Plant) I think is a good idea to start working at this time of the season. The only problem is the shore break has been sketchy at best. If the surf will settle down for a little while then the opportunity opens up.

Either way it's been nice on the water. The only way to know for sure is to put the time on the water and explore the area you are interested in.

I haven't decided where I am going this week. Could be Oceanside, Carlsbad but I am leaning towards La Jolla.

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:56 AM   #3
crashcrow

La Jolla is definitely my favorite place, been there a ton. Just hoping for somewhere close to hit before or after work. Have you tried going North out of Oceanside?
Old 07-13-2017, 12:39 PM   #4
Dirty Curti

Yes, North of Oceanside is the AR2 about a mile out. I haven't caught anything there or seen anything of significance there from several trips. I've gone as far as the small golf ball just North of the Del Mar Beach on Cam Pendleton and fished that area as well as I know how and can't find anything there.

Maybe I am always in the wrong spot, I don't know, because I know people have caught fish out there just not me.

It seems the more South you go the better.

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:28 AM   #5
crashcrow

I agree. 100%
Old 07-15-2017, 04:53 PM   #6
Maxfli123

Heading out of oceanside harbor tomorrow...hope to see you on the water!
Maxfli123 is offline   Reply With Quote