Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-13-2018, 01:42 PM   #1
Ljs089
Junior

Soon to be new kayak angler

Hey Everyone,

Just want to keep this brief, i've been on this forum for the better half of four years now and i've been researching all types of fishing kayaks for 5-6 years now. I'm finally committed to buying a hobie outback this summer now that i have the funds in place.

I've been watching BWE members slay YT and WSB for five years, before hobie even upgraded their seats. I'm actually glad i waited for that, me being former infantry i can used all the back support i can get haha.

I've been jealous of you guys for a very long time and i can't wait to get on the water this year to enjoy my favorite hobby.

I don't have any friends that are into kayak fishing unfortunately, i tried to turn some friends onto it for years, but no bite. I live in Anaheim, but i'm willing to travel back and forth from SD and possibly Baja if i get to know other kayak anglers.

If anyone is interested in showing me the ropes or having me tag along on one of their outings to fish i'd love to go. My name's Lee and i turn 29 next month, if you want a fishing/beer drinking buddy let me know.

Best Regards,
Lee Smithey
Ljs089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:46 PM   #2
Denis_Ruso

Welcome, and congrats on finally taking the plunge. Always friendly kayakers at the launch in La Jolla. I'm a bit far north, but may do a few trips down south this year Baja and la jolla. Stay on the boards and maybe we'll meet up for a trip out.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:19 PM   #3
jhernandez

Hey brother whenever you want to join me am just a message away I live in San Pedro
jhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:50 PM   #4
Ggiannig89

I’m no pro but I have some of the basics down. I’m usually open for weekends and been looking for a Baja buddy for awhile.
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:43 PM   #5
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Although I start recovery soon, you could join one of my caravans to Baja later this year. Great fishing but you will need 4+ days to really enjoy it. Tight Lines amigo.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:46 PM   #6
Hunters Pa

Thank you for your service, first of all.

Second, I am in Fullerton. Don't know where in Anaheim you are, but if you want to check out my setups let me know.

Fred Hall Show in a couple weeks will also be a good opportunity to look around and window shop.

Finally, the Mission Bay Classic on April 14 will also be a good opportunity to meet a bunch of people from the forum and look at how a lot of people set up.

Cheers, and welcome
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:13 PM   #7
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljs089 View Post
Hey Everyone,

Just want to keep this brief, i've been on this forum for the better half of four years now and i've been researching all types of fishing kayaks for 5-6 years now. I'm finally committed to buying a hobie outback this summer now that i have the funds in place.

I've been watching BWE members slay YT and WSB for five years, before hobie even upgraded their seats. I'm actually glad i waited for that, me being former infantry i can used all the back support i can get haha.

I've been jealous of you guys for a very long time and i can't wait to get on the water this year to enjoy my favorite hobby.

I don't have any friends that are into kayak fishing unfortunately, i tried to turn some friends onto it for years, but no bite. I live in Anaheim, but i'm willing to travel back and forth from SD and possibly Baja if i get to know other kayak anglers.

If anyone is interested in showing me the ropes or having me tag along on one of their outings to fish i'd love to go. My name's Lee and i turn 29 next month, if you want a fishing/beer drinking buddy let me know.

Best Regards,
Lee Smithey
That's focus! I fish Dana point and I like beer!
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:33 PM   #8
J_Kourt
Junior

How you doing Lee
I just recently got my hands on a Outback as well. Just like you i am new to this whole Kayak fishing adventure. I live in Ontario and will be taking some trips to Newport and Dana Point. If you would like we can meet up and learn together.
My names Justin
J_Kourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:49 AM   #9
tak100
Recruit

Welcome to the club.

I would recommend a check out paddle or two so you can get comfortable with the operating the kayak before you focus on fishing. Preferably in a bay with smooth waters. You will be a lot more confident when you get out to the open water.

I live in Long Beach and would be happy to share what I have learned over the last six months (still a ton to learn).

Best of luck.
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:30 AM   #10
monstahfish

I'm sure you'll get people to meet up with you, just post here a day or two or more when you want to go and see who replies. You can often jump in with people at the launch as well.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:05 PM   #11
cbeaudry
Junior

Also a new to kayak fishing in the ocean

Hi Everyone, I'm also looking for some help in learning how to fish the local areas. I've had my Hobie for about 3 years now and am comfortable in using it. Just don't have experience in fishing the areas other than a few times on a party boat. I recently changed jobs that has allowed me more time to be able to go out more now. Any info on what gear I should have before I try and head out with someone that is willing to take me under there wing? Thanks guys.
cbeaudry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:36 PM   #12
TJones

Keep it simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeaudry View Post
Hi Everyone, I'm also looking for some help in learning how to fish the local areas. I've had my Hobie for about 3 years now and am comfortable in using it. Just don't have experience in fishing the areas other than a few times on a party boat. I recently changed jobs that has allowed me more time to be able to go out more now. Any info on what gear I should have before I try and head out with someone that is willing to take me under there wing? Thanks guys.
Your primary setup for the warmer parts of year will be a kelp cutter fly line rig . 50 or 65 lb braid with short topshot of mono or flouro. Ringed hook works well with live bait.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:37 PM   #13
TJones

WEll?

Who’s free?
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote