Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
buddha

South Bay Report

I fished today with TaggerMike and Battleborn in the South bay at Chula Vista.

Fishing was a little tough but ended up being a good day after about 3-4 hours.

Mike caught 3 corvina on the troll and Battleborn got a corvina also on the troll on the way in.

We fished the boatyard area and a lot of fish were in very shallow water as low as 3 feet.

The usual sledheads with Gulp jerkbaits in 5 inch was the ticket for me.

CV is always a nice place to get away from the crowds as there is never much boat traffic here at all.

Bonefish galore down here also but that is for another thread.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
janines.fishtales@cox.net

long hiatus

Been about a month since I have been out fishing in my yak. Went a couple weeks ago with my dad in SD Bay for two legal halibut, one was about 15ish. I have had a good summer halibut fishing. I have never fished South Bay. I would love to give it a try. You guys going out at all next weekend? I am a hard core live bait fisherman. Any live bait for sale out there? The way you describe it, it sounds nice.

Janine
Old 09-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by janines.fishtales@cox.net View Post
Been about a month since I have been out fishing in my yak. Went a couple weeks ago with my dad in SD Bay for two legal halibut, one was about 15ish. I have had a good summer halibut fishing. I have never fished South Bay. I would love to give it a try. You guys going out at all next weekend? I am a hard core live bait fisherman. Any live bait for sale out there? The way you describe it, it sounds nice.

Janine
No live bait for sale down here but if you have a pump ghost shrimp is always a great bait especially for bonefish.

I will probably be out there next weekend on either or both days.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
TJones

one question

bonefish and corvina are needless to say prized fish , but are they good tasting ? i think i landed one surf fishing . probably the primary source of catching these species ?
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #5
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
bonefish and corvina are needless to say prized fish , but are they good tasting ? i think i landed one surf fishing . probably the primary source of catching these species ?
AFAIK there are no short fin corvina in the surf I believe you are talking about corbina. Short fin corvina are great tasting fish but I practice catch and release since I enjoy catching them.

Bonefish are a world class sport fish with little to no table fare at all.
Pound for pound they are one of the hardest fighting fish.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
taggermike

Good to see you out there Jeff. And my kayak didn't sink on the way back to the launch.

No live bait in the So Bay but you can, usually, snag, sibiki, or umbrella net smelt. Years ago I used to put the little double cone minnow traps in the tidal creeks in national city and caught plenty of killi fish/mosquito fish/mud minnows-what ever you want to can them. They worked pretty well.

Corvina are tasty fish, like weak fish on the east coast. Bone fish definitely are CnR. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #7
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
...or umbrella net smelt...
I don't want to play the part of a DFG officer, but I thought all nets were illegal to use, even to catch bait. There is probably something I don't know about the use of an umbrella net, since I've never heard of one before.

Please enlighten me. I know cast nets that I've used legally in Florida have always been banned in CA for decades, but I'm sure of any other net variety.

Aaron
Old 09-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
kobra

If you use your imagination a little, an umbrella net is similar (in principal anyways) to a lobster net just square or rectangular and not as heavy duty. Lower into the water and wait or bait with bread crumbs until smelt or whatever swim over the net then pull it up. I don't remember if they are legal or not.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #9
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobra View Post
If you use your imagination a little...I don't remember if they are legal or not.
I guess the last part of your statement is the puzzling factor, as I have a good imagination.
But, as I stated, I thought all types of nets were illegal in CA, so your response while indicating how an umbrella net can be used to catch bait, doesn't enlighten me to the more important question, is it legal in CA. Thanks for your response, all the same.
I could describe how to use a cast net, but that certainly doesn't help those of use fishing here in this state.
I really don't care about googling this, or going through the DFG regulations, as it isn't that important to me.
Aaron

Last edited by Aaron&Julie; 09-09-2013 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Add name
Aaron&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:01 AM   #10
taggermike

I looked this up on the dfg site. I think umbrella nets fall under baited hoop net.

28.80. DIP NETS AND HAWAIIAN TYPE THROW NETS. Dip nets of any size and baited hoop nets not greater than 36 inches in diameter may be used to take herring, Pacific staghorn sculpin, shiner surfperch, surf smelt, topsmelt, anchovies, shrimp and squid. Hawaiian type throw nets may be used north of Point Conception to take such species

And this should cover throwing bread over the top of the umbrella net.

27.05. CHUMMING. Chumming, including chumming with live bait, is permitted.

Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #11
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
WTG Mike!
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote