Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2011, 11:45 AM   #1
yaksailor

North 805

The weather in the central 805 was clear, calm and warm yesterday, May Day. The wind forecast didn’t look good for So Cal, so Leo Carillo was not an option. Mtnbykr2, Gman and I launched to 2 footers at 15 sec periods, 2/3rds of us dry. I am not sure about the landing, but it was at least it was hull-side-down.

The water was clear, but a frigid 53°F. On the surface was a silky sheen of what looked like silk or spider webs; I’ve never seen this before and could not explain it. Anyone know what this was? Also, traces of well-fed whales were around…I hate it when they pee in the pool. A mother and calf pair swam around and underneath us throughout the day.

We were throwing plastics and I was having luck with the Halloween swimmy jig heads with weed guards. A green 5-inch BH was also working for the lings. The morning was really slow with only a few rockfish and cabezon caught. Right after Mtnbykr2 left, the bite turned on at lunchtime. Gman found a slanted shelf reef holding some big fish. The browns were hanging out right at the apex of the shelf edge, and the lings holding in the shadows of the cliff under the ledge. Since the visibility was high, I could verify the shelf edge and double-floor view shown on my finder due to surface-to-rock reflection.

We got some short and legal lings as well a 4-lbdr Grass (some farmed.) The first blue ling I got appeared to be legal, but I was not able to verify it, since he came off at the boat. As he swam back in to the crevice, I tossed the lure back in and amazingly enough, the same ling bit the tail off and swam back down. I will hopefully be able to report on this mystery later in the season.

Fishing this shelf was a bit tough on leaders. The big fish would not bite if my yak was directly above them, I had to cast into the crevice from the side. When I hooked up, they would drag my line over the edge, fraying the heck out of it. We lost a lot of tackle there.

Have you ever run your leader over your thumb to check the fray? For me, it always feels shredded right when the fish are biting. I usually roll the dice and change it on the next cast. Lucky for me, the next red ling wasn’t lost to the frayed leader.

Here’s some pics:

Whale of a time:

Fat RF:

Brown:

Ling:
yaksailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
mtnbykr2

"hull side down" speak for yourself John, you missed my yard sale, it was a doozy, didn't see that one coming, could have been worse but what a fricken mess...thanks for comin along and out fishin everyone, hope you enjoyed the show, great day on the water, the whale watching was epic...
I had to leave due to lack of jig heads, "lost tackle" I won that contest too yesterday, all I had left was a few BH heads in the heavy wieght class, besides it was time to go for a swim in the surf by about that time...thanks again for the good times
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
"hull side down" speak for yourself John, you missed my yard sale, it was a doozy, didn't see that one coming, could have been worse but what a fricken mess...thanks for comin along and out fishin everyone, hope you enjoyed the show, great day on the water, the whale watching was epic...
I had to leave due to lack of jig heads, "lost tackle" I won that contest too yesterday, all I had left was a few BH heads in the heavy wieght class, besides it was time to go for a swim in the surf by about that time...thanks again for the good times

welcome to the yard sale club!
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #4
Phatford
Heroes on the Water Staff

Very Nice, I would love to fish with you all up there some time... I am not familiar with anything up north and would be afraid to go without some clue of where to go and have a decent day...
Phatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:53 PM   #5
lamb

very cool
Old 05-02-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
Gman
Junior

Smile Great to be out on the water

The day was great the company even better the fish were on the whales were showing off what more could you ask for......
Gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatford View Post
Very Nice, I would love to fish with you all up there some time... I am not familiar with anything up north and would be afraid to go without some clue of where to go and have a decent day...
Phat you are welcome to come along anytime, I usually post the trips
in the 805 for those of us in the "northside navy" I will try and remember to pm you next time out, usually with me it is most weekends ....late
Old 05-02-2011, 03:14 PM   #8
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
welcome to the yard sale club!
thanks Frank glad to be a member....not, still fartin sand
Old 05-02-2011, 09:36 PM   #9
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Seeing those whales up close would have made my day....too cool.
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:37 AM   #10
blitzburgh

Way cool report. I've been wanting to fish up there too. Where are you launching at?
blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:07 AM   #11
mtnbykr2

we launch at Refugio most of the time it is a pretty uneventful launch and land lol