Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2012, 08:41 AM   #1
tehburninator

no0bie at life

hello!
i am new to the kayak community, and fairly new to the fishing community all together (started fishing about a year ago and just recieved a kayak from the boss lady as a early christmas gift) im an automotive mechanic so gadget-ing is in my nature.... and of course making things move is almost second nature... i love fishing, and been out once on the kayak and love it!

my question is.... and yes i look through the innovations thread..... pretty much all of it.. might have skipped a page by accident... but... does anyone here strap troll motors on their kayaks for the purpose of moving it around??!?

i might be getting a really good deal on one.. and was wondering if this is something that may be a good idea or if i am wasting my time dreaming about it.... im ok at paddling, still getting used to it but i can definitely move myself thats for sure.. just thought this would be a fun project
tehburninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
MrM

Welcome to the addiction! This is definitely a great hobby/sport for the DIY'er, you'll love it. In fact, it's like magic. It'l make your bank account disappear!

All joking aside, Yes, people have strapped a trolling motor on their kayak. I think you have to register it if you do, though. What kayak did you get?

Old 09-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
mtnbykr2

Yeah once you put a motor on it, it has to have CF numbers, only in "Califorkya" kinda defeats the purpose as far as I am concerned, I don't know how much the patrols would enforce it though, but I imagine if it has a fine attached they will getcha...
Welcome to the addiction, and the crew...
Old 09-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Trogdor!

addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
MrM

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2sp33d View Post
Trogdor!

Burninating the peasants....
Old 09-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
tehburninator

thank you and thank you for the warm welcome. i got the tamarack 120, the tan one that came preset for fishing with the rod holders. the guy was nice enough to let me have it with the paddle, anchor, his milkcrate and the cart for 275 which i thought was a steal because the yak itself runs for 550 new ( its only a few months old) but i would say he put it to good use and didnt care for it too much seeing how the bottom side had decent amount of scratches.

i thought you only had to register it if it had a bigger motor on it =/ well scratch that idea haha but i'll see about doing some more research anyways...

oh and next question is... as far as paddles goes, is there any particular one that is better then another? as far as processing water for better speed while moving?

i do alot of fishing with plastics, so im not too worried about weight (275 max weight for the kayak) and i weigh about a buck 35, so probably no bait tank for now, and if i were to catch my own bait, it would be minimal, so i'll just put a small bucket with a aerator if need be to keep any weight down to a minimal.

and trust me... my bank account has bounced off the 0.00 quite a few times between paychecks due to just my fishing habits
Old 09-07-2012, 09:34 AM   #7
tehburninator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrM View Post
Burninating the peasants....

hahah! yes!!!! someone knows
Old 09-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #8
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

I have a Trogdor Polo shirt, that has a Trogdor where the typical "Polo Player" or the "Lacoste Alligator" would-be (on the left chest area).

I've seen quite a few people do a mental WTF when they see Trogdor.

Strangely, no-one asks what brand he represents.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #9
tehburninator

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2sp33d View Post
I have a Trogdor Polo shirt, that has a Trogdor where the typical "Polo Player" or the "Lacoste Alligator" would-be (on the left chest area).

I've seen quite a few people do a mental WTF when they see Trogdor.

Strangely, no-one asks what brand he represents.

lol! nice, a friend of mine introduced us to strong bad and trogdor back in high school freshman or sophomore year.... sure enough, our Japanese language class consisted of the 4 of us in the back corner reenacting the how to draw and a musical chorus of the burninator!

ps. take me out into the bays sometime, i dont have a life jacket yet so im kinda skiddish getting into deeper waters as of yet. but would love to go learn a thing or two =) 8585377948 name is slim
Old 09-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
mtnbykr2

No yakking without a PFD!!! please
Old 09-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #11
MrM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
No yakking without a PFD!!! please
Agreed. Even for in the harbor- Some boaters will damn near run you over.

Get a VHF radio, PFD, and a whistle at a minimum.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #12
tehburninator

ok! advice acknowledged!, got a whistle... where can i find a good pfd that wont cost me more then the kayak that is easy to fish in, and the vhf also?
Old 09-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #13
ful-rac
Emperor

Welcome

Ahh fellow automotive service tech! Welcome! Eh you don't need no stink'n motor! just learn to paddle, and fish. Keep it simple at first, then you can start adding stuff, like fishfinders, rod holders, bait tanks and all kinds of "gadgets." You have chosen a tough but rewarding hobby, you will meet alot of cool people along the way, and have a great time.

Good luck
Tony.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #14
tehburninator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Ahh fellow automotive service tech! Welcome! Eh you don't need no stink'n motor! just learn to paddle, and fish. Keep it simple at first, then you can start adding stuff, like fishfinders, rod holders, bait tanks and all kinds of "gadgets." You have chosen a tough but rewarding hobby, you will meet alot of cool people along the way, and have a great time.

Good luck
Tony.
sounds like something that came out of lord of the rings....hahahaha
Old 09-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #15
allday
Junior

nice!
allday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #16
allday
Junior