Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-20-2018, 02:14 PM   #1
jhernandez

Standard Horizon HX870

Quick question just picked up a SH HX870 and wondering what people do with the start up screen asking for MMSI do people register to recieve the 9 digit MMSI??
jhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:54 PM   #2
Tac.Fish0313

Yeah, you’re going to need to register your VHF radio in order to make it operable with other radio devices, here are some sites where you can get this done.

USCG info:
https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtmmsi

to register:
https://www.boatus.com/mmsi

https://www.seatow.com/tools-and-education/mmsi
Tac.Fish0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:18 PM   #3
Dirty Curti

I've never heard this before. Is this the case for all handheld devices? We need to register them?

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:55 AM   #4
jhernandez

Makes Sense, I do not think its the case with all VHF radios. I think this one requires it since it sends out GPS Coordinates when a distress call is made.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:48 AM   #5
DavidT

If I recall correctly the MMSI number allows calls to individual VHF radios that also have an assigned MMSI.
This gives you the capability of contacting specific radios instead of everyone in range.
DavidT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:00 PM   #6
jhernandez

Ohh ok, like using the radio like a cell phone. I was going through the registration and it ask for a vessel registration number it doesnt have an astric so not 100% thats its necessary but does anyone know of the boat/kayak needs to be register to get a mmsi number

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2018, 04:58 PM   #7
DavidT

If you already have an MMSI number registered to a fixed mount VHF on a boat you can use that same number for your handheld. Otherwise you'll need a number just for the handheld, however I don't know how that can be done without a boat registration as the number is assigned to the boat, not the device itself.

Several radios include a built-in GPS receiver, which you can use for navigation, providing your Lat/Lon position and allowing you to navigate to stored waypoints. These VHF/GPS combo handhelds include Digital Selective Calling (DSC), which functions as a sort of VHF-frequency emergency beacon. Just push and hold down the red DISTRESS button on your handheld VHF radio, and it sends an automated digital distress message to the Coast Guard and all other DSC radio-equipped vessels. Rescuers instantly know who you are, where you are (using GPS coordinates), the name of your boat and the phone numbers of your emergency contacts.

DSC also provides non-emergency capabilities, allowing you to communicate individually with another boat or group of boats using MMSI numbers. You can send and receive each other’s positions as well, if your radio and the other vessel’s radio are interfaced to GPS. While we’re excited by the promise of these features, we actually haven’t heard of many of our customers using them, and the user-interfaces of the radios can make the more complicated features challenging to use.

To get the safety benefits of DSC you must obtain your nine-digit MMSI number. We recently purchased a Standard HX870, and it took about ten minutes to go on the BoatU.S. web site and register our new DSC radio. We logged onto https://www.boatus.com/mmsi and followed the instructions. The registration is free, and by registering your beacon, you’ll be prepared in an emergency.

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvis...Handheld-Radio

Last edited by DavidT; 06-21-2018 at 05:09 PM.
DavidT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:26 PM   #8
TJones

have same radio

take your time programing radio. double check for typo errors. its a one shot deal with the registration. you have to reregister annually or bi annually to verify that you are still the owner. basically this is to hold you liable if someone starts sending the navy and coast guard on a wild goose chase.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote