Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
TCS

Hemmingway

I pulled out a copy of The Old Man And The Sea last night and read it to my 10 year old daughter. At first she wasn't that interested as the characters were getting developed, but then as the adventure rolled out she was just as into it as I was. I had forgotten how compelling that book is.

The old dude is incredibly tough, simple and wise. He logs in 83 days without a fish and is therefore sure that this is the time. Has no fear of being out in the wide blue gulf alone - for three days. Has a debate with his left hand and calls it a traitor when it cramps but later thanks it for grabbing the line when the fish runs. The chase, the long fight and the battles with sharks.... His respect for the fish and regret that he ever caught it. etc etc etc.

If you're into fishing from a kayak and haven't read this lately, you need to grab a copy and spend a couple of hours with it. I found it humbling and inspirational at the same time. After your read it go to the recent post about reels and rods and look at what people say about the penn 500. POS? This old dude had none of it. He was the fisherman we should all aspire to be.

See you all on the water.

Tom
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:34 PM   #2
Whizz Bang

83 days without a fish....many of us are that fisherman.

And as for Papa, god bless him he is a hero of mine, but every picture Ive seen of him fishing has been from a PB. It is far easier to write about Santiago's travails when you are drunk on daquiris in Havana (Much like his fully catered safaris...that guy always did it in style).
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:36 AM   #3
cjthomas

The Old Man and the Sea is such an awesome book. It was assigned to me as summer homework and I finished it in one sitting. It really shows the connection between the fish and fisherman and our determination for a worthwhile catch even if (in this case) its life threatening. I think all the A-holes on BD need to read Hemingway and gain some respect for our ocean and the sport.
cjthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:29 PM   #4
Corey

I had a conversation with my Grandmother in Indiana about that book a few weeks ago. That has been my favorite book since I first read it at about the age of 6. My grandmother said that when she sees my fishing pictures it reminds her of how I would hide out in the front room of her house and read The Old Man and the Sea. I bet I read that book 10 times at her house over the years. She said it makes her happy to see me out there doing something I dreamed about as a kid (albeit with much nicer gear).

Last edited by Corey; 09-03-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote