Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2016, 06:36 PM   #1
jbl_91762

Paddle Yaks how far have you gone?

Im asking only feedback from Paddle guys cause I know a peddle yak can go faster and further due to less effort. How far out do you guys go either regularly or ever? I am in good shape but not sure how far is really far? My guess is I've paddled a distance of maybe 2 miles one way. Return trip on that 2 mile was against the wind and current and it was hell! I plan on upgrading to a carbon paddle eventually.
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:48 PM   #2
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl_91762 View Post
Im asking only feedback from Paddle guys cause I know a peddle yak can go faster and further due to less effort. How far out do you guys go either regularly or ever? I am in good shape but not sure how far is really far? My guess is I've paddled a distance of maybe 2 miles one way. Return trip on that 2 mile was against the wind and current and it was hell! I plan on upgrading to a carbon paddle eventually.
On our Asuncion trips we average 10+ miles a day, sometimes against the wind, peddle, paddle it still takes effort. Fishing Gonzaga it is about the same,10+ most days sometimes 15+.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:12 PM   #3
Zed
BANNED

Coincidentally whether Dana or La Jolla the average day is right at 10.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:35 AM   #4
Dirty Curti

My first season a few miles would hurt. Hurt my back, hurt my ass, hurt my shoulders.

This season got the right seat, got a lower lumbar support and now can stay out there for many hours no problem. Last month had a 9 1/2 hour day on the water and had no problems what so ever. Must have covered a dozen miles easily.

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:42 AM   #5
Dave Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Curti View Post
My first season a few miles would hurt. Hurt my back, hurt my ass, hurt my shoulders.

This season got the right seat, got a lower lumbar support and now can stay out there for many hours no problem. Last month had a 9 1/2 hour day on the water and had no problems what so ever. Must have covered a dozen miles easily.
What'd you get?
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:43 AM   #6
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Around La Jolla and SD Bay, a nonchalant 6-10 miles is pretty common for a typical "half day" fishing.

A hard pump against the wind or rough water is different than a casual day of trolling around. It's easy to cover a lot of territory when we are peddling slowly, preoccupied with fishing.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 09-06-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:42 AM   #7
radastaff

16-17 round trip
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:11 PM   #8
Hunters Pa

I don't get out as much as a lot of people on here, but have logged 10 mile days.

Helpful hint - plan your day fishing by paddling toward where you think the wind/current will come from when time to head home. Makes the paddle back a lot easier. May seem like common sense, but I had to learn it for myself the hard way
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:58 PM   #9
DPevin

We just started, have been out like 5 times so far. But from baby beach in Dana to the red bouy at the headlands is supposedly 3.5 miles one way according to a friend's gps. So round trip you have seven, and if we fish in front of doheny or the first part of the pipe on the way out or back, I'm guessing we have done like 10 miles total. Although my back and neck are done by the time we get back into the harbor. Need a new seat bad haha.
DPevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:24 PM   #10
Dirty Curti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Legacy View Post
What'd you get?

Sore shoulders and a couple of break offs.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:36 PM   #11
Scoot
Scoot

I lived in Big Bear when I got mine, fished the
May Classic! Paddled a lot, could have made Catalina
No problem back then. Not anymore.
Definitely need a new seat!!!!
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:10 PM   #12
Dave Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Curti View Post
Sore shoulders and a couple of break offs.
I should rephrase...What seat did you get? I'm kinda where you were your first season and I'd rather be where you are now. I was thinking I'd get a Thermarest lumbar pad, but I think replacing my entire Apex seat might be in order.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:48 PM   #13
King Saba

Quote:
I should rephrase...What seat did you get? I'm kinda where you were your first season and I'd rather be where you are now. I was thinking I'd get a Thermarest lumbar pad, but I think replacing my entire Apex seat might be in order.
Might want to add this while you're at it Dave. I use this along with my dad's lumbar support that he no longer needs. Works like a charm.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:56 PM   #14
taggermike

With out a GPS/plotter it's hard to tell true distances. But I'd guess 6-10 miles might be a decent fishing day in LJ. I've done some longer trips like O-side harbor to the golf ball n back.

Some times its conditions that make things tough. Some times the current out of the NW will really get moving in LJ. You paddle around the corner and you're off wind n sea in 40 minutes or less. That's a long trip back cause if you stop it slow down you're losing ground.

I got caught in a serious wind when I lived on the outer Banks of NC. Hardest I've ever paddled. Over 2 hours to cover about a mile and a 1/4. Some times you don't know what you can do until you have to. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:40 PM   #15
Dave Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
Might want to add this while you're at it Dave. I use this along with my dad's lumbar support that he no longer needs. Works like a charm.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sweet, thanks for the tip!
Old 09-06-2016, 11:57 PM   #16
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post

I got caught in a serious wind when I lived on the outer Banks of NC. Hardest I've ever paddled. Over 2 hours to cover about a mile and a 1/4. Some times you don't know what you can do until you have to. Mike
I felt like that once while paddling my barge through 15kts of headwind at Dana. Murder I say!!!

Quote:
Sweet, thanks for the tip!
For sure!
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:01 AM   #17
taggermike

I hear you Saba. That area around Dana headland seems to be windy even when it's dead calm every where else. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:50 AM   #18
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

In the ocean we've gone as far as twenty miles or so, most of the time it's more around ten. Usually we fish about six to ten hours so you can cover a lot of territory or, if the fishing is good, you may paddle around in more or less, the same spot all day.

As others have mentioned, the conditions have a lot to do with how far you can go. If you paddle against the tide or a strong river current, it's going to be a lot tougher. I've had to get out of the kayak and pull it upstream when I misjudged the strength of the river current. Paddling is a physical activity, you need to be in shape to do well.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:34 AM   #19
Dirty Curti

Quote:
Ohh Sorry,

Seat

Lumbar Back Support

These two items made a big difference in staying on the water for long days.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:30 PM   #20
Scoot
Scoot

Thanks for the links!
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote