Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2015, 09:16 AM   #1
Rambo

DIY for Hobie Live Well Pump and Switch Replacement

This DIY is for those who are replacing the switch and pump. It is broken into sections of disassembly and if you happen to only need to replace the switch or pump jump to those section if not start from the top and work your way down thru the reading material for reference. All parts that are replaced are OEM that is not modified by Hobie. But if you choose to go with Hobie parts I included them as well with the part numbers.

Any comments and opinions are welcome.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DIY for Hobie Live Well Pump and Switch Replacement.pdf (907.8 KB, 158 views)
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:08 AM   #2
AirborneYak

I might need to replace my switch. Is that right? $13.75 for the part and the $13.75 for shipping!?
AirborneYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:12 PM   #3
Rambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneYak View Post
I might need to replace my switch. Is that right? $13.75 for the part and the $13.75 for shipping!?
Yup, or take it down to OEX they'll take care of you and I believe it should be cheaper or something reasonable. Call them. One of my buddy had OEX replace the switch and said it was very reasonable.
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:40 PM   #4
YakDout
Brandon

Bypassed my switch months ago and not turning back. Pump seems to work stronger and I don't have to worry "what if" my switch breaks on the water. Already went through Two switches before I decided to go this route.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:36 PM   #5
TJones

This us the way to go .

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Bypassed my switch months ago and not turning back. Pump seems to work stronger and I don't have to worry "what if" my switch breaks on the water. Already went through Two switches before I decided to go this route.
I did even better, I bought new pump refill cartridge from Walmart and ran wires straight to connector . No splices , and no switch . I should be good for a couple seasons .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:41 PM   #6
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
I did even better, I bought new pump refill cartridge from Walmart and ran wires straight to connector . No splices , and no switch . I should be good for a couple seasons .

I mean my switch is physically there. Just no wires to it. I did the same thing you did. But I'm stealth cause it looks like I still have a switch. Real tactical.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:10 PM   #7
Caseym

Hey guys, Im building a tank (petfood container thing with cartridge atwood pump deal). Where do you guys get your 6V batteries? Ive tried the two cheapest places to start (pep boys and walmart) to no avail.
Thanks,
-Mazer
Caseym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:11 PM   #8
ful-rac
Emperor

OEX sunset/mission bay of course!
Old 07-10-2015, 07:38 PM   #9
AirborneYak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseym View Post
Hey guys, Im building a tank (petfood container thing with cartridge atwood pump deal). Where do you guys get your 6V batteries? Ive tried the two cheapest places to start (pep boys and walmart) to no avail.
Thanks,
-Mazer
eBay is a good place also. Second OEX for local buys.
AirborneYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:22 PM   #10
surfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseym View Post
Thanks,
-Mazer
Oceanside dive and kayak carries them I'm pretty sure.
surfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:51 AM   #11
PescadorPete

I don't care for the push/pull switch. When water gets into the shaft, it ruins the switch. I use a Cole Hersee toggle switch. After mounting it, fill the boot with dielectric grease. After you screw the boot on, run a bead of silicon around the end of the boot and the bait tank for a waterproof seal.

I make the connections with waterproof crimp butt connectors. These heat shrink connectors have heat activated adhesive built into the sleeve of the heat shrink tubing. When heated, these connectors form a watertight seal.

When reaching behind to grab a rod, I sometimes inadvertently bump the switch down. So I mounted it with down being on so I don't accidentally turn the pump off.

I like having the switch so when I'm in the WSB stealth mode, I can easily shut the tank off.

PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote