Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2011, 11:23 AM   #1
jaycee386

Kayak ceiling pulley system

Can anyone tell me where I can find the harness and pulley system used to hoist kayaks to the ceiling of a garage? Where would i get the best price for this system?
jaycee386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
bigFISHINyak

Here is what I did for the easiest and most cost effective means of kayak storage. I am sure you all have thought about it but go down to home depot or harbor freight if you have one near by and buy 4 crown bolt storage hooks. Mount them about 3.5' apart and make sure you mouth them into a ceiling joist. Make sure each is pointed in the opposite direction and based on the length of the yak make sure you don't space the length out too much or too close otherwise you will have some issues. Mounted mine about 7' apart for my hobie outback. Now get yourself some long tie downs and go ahead and get them secured around the hooks. Make sure you leave slack because you will need it as you put the yak up. You will need some muscle with that 60lb beast of a yak but set the nose of the yak on top of the first loop and then slide it forward through the second. Just crank the tie downs as much as you want and you are all done. Then the fun of getting it down begins!!! About 10 bucks in parts and 20 min to put it in.
bigFISHINyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
dick fabulous

If you are putting 2 pro anglers up there look for a product called a "Gradall". You won't be dissapointed. Make sure your not overload your roof structure. If in doubt a wall would offer better support but may not be as desirable.
dick fabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
Handymansd
Ancient Member

I use a 12 volt winch with 1/4 inch plastic coated cable. Based off of a design from hand powered kayak lift kits. I attach two 24" pieces of pre-holed angle iron with 3/8" 3" lag bolts (the 24" lengths help adjust for your kayak length). Then I attached pulleys to the angle iron. Then you need two pulleys that attach to your kayak bow and stern handles with load bearing carabiners. Winch on one end yak pulley on the other. It works off of my 12v battery that I use for my FF. I unload it, rinse it, bring it into garage, hook it to pully's, lift it, disconnect battery and charge for next trip... reverse the process to lower them. I have a couple winches left over if anyone is interested, you can also get them for fairly cheap from Harbor freight. I also use small safety cables attached to rafters just in case of a failure anywhere. It works great!

Last edited by Handymansd; 06-30-2011 at 06:08 PM. Reason: copied from another post
Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Found this on ebay a while ago.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BIKE-HOIST-GARAG...item2a11d35f2a

Was so impressed by the first one I bought, I bought 2 more. Used it for my Mini-X, worked well. Used 2" lags to connect to joist.
Not sure how many lb it's rated for. Hope this helps.

FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:52 PM   #6
bluesquids

works like a charm.....
http://www.harborfreight.com/general...ist-45076.html
Old 07-01-2011, 06:08 PM   #7
PapaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinYakr View Post

Was so impressed by the first one I bought, I bought 2 more. Used it for my Mini-X, worked well. Used 2" lags to connect to joist.

FFY
I tried those on a Pro Angler and it didn't work.
PapaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #8
mwm

[QUOTE=FlyFishinYakr;88134]Found this on ebay a while ago.

I got this same system on sale at REI. It hoists up easily and then attach the yak to the wall with hooks and straps. Very clean
mwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:50 PM   #9
jaycee386

Thanks for all the ideas. Leaning toward the rope hoist from harbor tools since it rated for 500lbs. And i eneded up buying an outback instead of the pro angler
jaycee386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:49 PM   #10
old_rookie

Here is the rope hoist from HB in action:

From the size of the hardware, rope and screws on the hoist, I'm surprised it is rated at 500lbs.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:13 PM   #11
kobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_rookie View Post
Here is the rope hoist from HB in action:

From the size of the hardware, rope and screws on the hoist, I'm surprised it is rated at 500lbs.

I use the same H.B. hoist. They are 4 parted so it's not that hard to hoist. Just position the 2 connecting eye bolts so your straps are lined up with the scuppers in the back and the drive well or mast up front. That way the yak is supported at its stonger points so you don't get any deformation.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:49 PM   #12
CheapPelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinYakr View Post

FFY
I got the same one from Harbor Freight. Its rated at 50#s.
CheapPelican is offline   Reply With Quote