Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
StinkyMatt

Do YOU have this reel?

Looking to buy a new reel for my jig stick.
Choices are narrowed down to these two:

Saltist Lever Drag Hyper Speed 7.3 : 1

Saltist Lever Drag Conventional 6.3 :1

Price is the same.

If you own one or used one, please share your pros and cons.

Thanks, Matt
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
tattuna

I have the STTLD 20H. Bad little reel! So far the biggest thing I've caught on it is a 50 lb bat ray. Caught a small wsb on it too. Super smooth right outta the box.

Gonna pick up the hyper speed one for fishin leopard grouper in Baja.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:27 PM   #3
dorado50

They are almost the same reel, one just a few more feet per crank. Let us know how u like them
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #4
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

I have the 30 2 speed. Its a great reel I used to have a toriumn but the daiwa feels better and cast better. High speed for jigs and yoyoing, then drop it into low and drag them in. I did however upgrade the drags to carbontex, but that's a personal preference, I never used the stock ones.
PRE_2011-07-28-193652.jpg

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
taggermike

Both of those reals are great. A buddy of mine has a saltist 2 speed and it's an amazing little real. That said, and while lever drags have come a very long way in size and free spool, you might want to go with a star drag for pure castability. My ancient Newell 338 will out cast about every lever drag real. There are a bunchof great casting star drags out there and they tend to cost less than lever drags. Newell, Daiwa Sealine or thier new Saltist star drag, Toriums, even step up to a new trini. I borrowed a frieds Avet when they first came out. He had it on his surface iron rod and while it casted fairly well I did get tired of the long lever drag throw to hit the free spool. Just my 2 cents. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:16 AM   #6
kayakhunter

Reel

Ive got a brand new Avet JX MC 6:1 in Gunmetal color, great iron reel, if you dont like the MC the magnet pops out easy.

PM me if interested.
kayakhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #7
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

I own the ld 30h man it's a sweet reel. Only problem I have had is the lack of grease of the drags causing it to skip on big model fish. So lightly grease your drag and you have the Bruce Lee of reels, small but powerful. All the parts are stainless steel! Awesome design and the handle feels solid when yanking on the good stuff. Believe me I tested this reel hard! I don't know if you would like the 7.1:1 though. IMAO it's to fast and no torque. The 6.3:1 is plenty fast and still grinds pretty well. If you were still to think about reel choices I always say for a jig stick can't beat a Saltist star drag!
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote