Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
carbonbass

dana rats

Anyone wanna go out on Tuesday or Thursday and play with the rat yellows that have been around? Never launched at Dana is there a free parking area? Also can anyone pm me some general directions to a local kelp bed there
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 02:00 PM   #2
The Freediver

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonbass View Post
Anyone wanna go out on Tuesday or Thursday and play with the rat yellows that have been around? Never launched at Dana is there a free parking area? Also can anyone pm me some general directions to a local kelp bed there
If you go to the back of the harbor you can launch for free, but it's a long paddle out of the harbor and to the nearest bed. You can launch for $10 at the boat launch and save yourself a paddle too. If you exit the harbor mouth and go north to the point where you will see the boiler rock you will be in the kelp. That is just the furthest south point of the bed. It is massive and there are many reefs in between. I'd guess if there are yellows they will be on the outside towards the red buoy or anywhere the bait is on the outside. Usually the winds will pick up in the afternoon and can make for a tough paddle back to the launch point.

Good luck.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
yani

Freediver advice is right on, except the difference between paddling from the free parking lot at Baby's Beach and the $10 Boat launch. It's really a 5min difference. And, there's always the $1/hr parking lot at the second left from the intersection of PCH and Del Obispo. That parking lot leads straight to the short jetty. All three parking lots take about the same time to get to the Headlands Kelp beds.

If the rat yellows are there, the Headlands would be the place to find them. They will also migrate just North of the Headlands to Salt Creek.

It's been since 2005 since the rat yellows have been there. They are great eats. Good Luck, keep us posted please.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
carbonbass

Someone reported catching 2 of them inside the harbor from their slip yesterday. Would say if that's true there is a good chance they could be around the kelp outside. How far of a paddle are we talking with the closest launch?
Old 07-30-2011, 03:56 PM   #5
sammysamsam

Where is Babys Beach located? Is it the little stretch of beach on the opposite side of the jetty from Dana's wharf?
sammysamsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
yani

carbon: it's bout 1.3mile paddle. should take bout 1/2hr.

sam: baby's beach is located 2 parking lots before the
Marine Institute, on the left. The baby's beach parking lot
is adjacent to a small patch of public beach. This area is
where the tall ships are.

Ck out Google Earth
Old 07-30-2011, 04:27 PM   #7
Dan

some 25-30lbers mixed in too. they taste good too! good luck.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:06 PM   #8
sammysamsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by yani View Post
carbon: it's bout 1.3mile paddle. should take bout 1/2hr.

sam: baby's beach is located 2 parking lots before the
Marine Institute, on the left. The baby's beach parking lot
is adjacent to a small patch of public beach. This area is
where the tall ships are.

Ck out Google Earth
ah i see, its inside the harbor. I thought it was outside. Whats the best place to do a surf launch? doheny?
Old 07-30-2011, 05:47 PM   #9
T Bone

If the wind picks up blowing offshore and gets to be a pain,instead of a straight line to the harbormouth I tuck in tight as I can to the longwall as a windbreak it helps.You may see Mr T there too.Good Luck.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:56 PM   #10
Lets_Fish

No surf launch from Dohney from what I have heard. I've always launch at baby beach, free parking, restrooms and showers!
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:33 PM   #11
sammysamsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets_Fish View Post
No surf launch from Dohney from what I have heard. I've always launch at baby beach, free parking, restrooms and showers!
Free parking at this lot?
Old 07-30-2011, 08:21 PM   #12
yani

sam: That's the place.

Let's Fish: There is a surf launch at the short jetty.

To really learn about Dana join the Kayakfishingmafia.com.
Those guys know their stuff. (wonder who started it?)

Like Josh says, "I wish I knew Dana too"
Old 07-30-2011, 08:58 PM   #13
fishsouthcounty

Quote:

Ya check out KFM its pretty much all locals who mostly fish DP. Also Carbonbass, if your trying to fish Tuesdays then a some of the boys on KFM will meet at the Dana Point Jet Ski parking lot on the short jetty and they open up the gate and give access to launch from the docks right behind the shop. Gates open i think from 6-830 to launch then opens up again at like 9 or something to come back in. Talk to some of the guys on KFM and you can launch there. Just like launching from the boat ramp but a little closer and free. Definitely the best option out there. Not sure what my day off is this week but i will definitely be gettin out there as i have heard about the yellows in the local kelp up through laguna as well. Good luck out there
fishsouthcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:13 PM   #14
carbonbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsouthcounty View Post
Ya check out KFM its pretty much all locals who mostly fish DP. Also Carbonbass, if your trying to fish Tuesdays then a some of the boys on KFM will meet at the Dana Point Jet Ski parking lot on the short jetty and they open up the gate and give access to launch from the docks right behind the shop. Gates open i think from 6-830 to launch then opens up again at like 9 or something to come back in. Talk to some of the guys on KFM and you can launch there. Just like launching from the boat ramp but a little closer and free. Definitely the best option out there. Not sure what my day off is this week but i will definitely be gettin out there as i have heard about the yellows in the local kelp up through laguna as well. Good luck out there
hah i figured there had to be a few roaming around laguna by now, probably mostly schoolie sized in these areas? 8-15lb? Same tactics to target the rats as the big ones? Iron/live mac/dine/swimbaits???

btw thanks for the intel guys, this site is really great for stuff like this.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:18 AM   #15
mrJB

The launch at DP JetSki is not a public launch. It is provided by Tim as a "thank You" for buying a kayak from him.

There is free launching and parking at Baby's Beach, and free launching, paid/pass parking next to Doheny Beach ($1/hr.).
Old 07-31-2011, 09:30 AM   #16
fishsouthcounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrJB View Post
The launch at DP JetSki is not a public launch. It is provided by Tim as a "thank You" for buying a kayak from him.

There is free launching and parking at Baby's Beach, and free launching, paid/pass parking next to Doheny Beach ($1/hr.).
Thats why i suggested he jump on KFM. I went on there and saw them talking about it. Inquired into it and was invited by several people to come out and use the launch on Tuesday mornings. If you are required to purchase a kayak first to use the launch then i was unaware, but several of them made it seem pretty much open to anyone who is on the KFM board.
fishsouthcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:22 PM   #17
sammysamsam

Quote:

hey, thanks so much yani! I know where ill be going next weekend.

Im gonna check out kayakfishingmafia as well. :]
Old 07-31-2011, 02:47 PM   #18
The Freediver

Quote:
Freediver advice is right on, except the difference between paddling from the free parking lot at Baby's Beach and the $10 Boat launch. It's really a 5min difference. And, there's always the $1/hr parking lot at the second left from the intersection of PCH and Del Obispo. That parking lot leads straight to the short jetty. All three parking lots take about the same time to get to the Headlands Kelp beds.

If the rat yellows are there, the Headlands would be the place to find them. They will also migrate just North of the Headlands to Salt Creek.

It's been since 2005 since the rat yellows have been there. They are great eats. Good Luck, keep us posted please.
I completely agree that's its worth it to make the paddle from baby beach MOST of the time, but when you've been paddling all day long and the rough Dana south winds pick up that paddle can be down right nasty as the wind funnels through the harbor. Ask me how I know
Old 07-31-2011, 08:51 PM   #19
yani

Freediver,

that makes you stronger!
Old 07-31-2011, 10:56 PM   #20
The Freediver

Quote:
Freediver,

that makes you stronger!

So does yankin on your outboard when you can't get it started because you F'd with it and shouldn't have. Thank god for mechanics.

If I ever do get another kayak it'll have to not be a Cobra so that paddles like that aren't so horrid. Hell, it'll have to be a Hobie.