Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2015, 06:04 AM   #1
Murray

What model of transducer for Lowrance Chirp 5

Considering on purchasing above ff and would like to know what style of transducer to purchase and why. Fish LJ primarily for yt and wsb. Will probably fish for hali and reds during the winter. Understand Chirp has some cool features regarding sensitivity,etc. so want to make sure I choose a transducer that will take advantage of chirp technology per what I am fishing for. Also would like to know mounting suggestions (in water, thru hull, etc). Thanks for the info all.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:17 PM   #2
TJones

Grab yourself a hobie 2014 or newer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray View Post
Considering on purchasing above ff and would like to know what style of transducer to purchase and why. Fish LJ primarily for yt and wsb. Will probably fish for hali and reds during the winter. Understand Chirp has some cool features regarding sensitivity,etc. so want to make sure I choose a transducer that will take advantage of chirp technology per what I am fishing for. Also would like to know mounting suggestions (in water, thru hull, etc). Thanks for the info all.
Standard equipped with lowrance ready bay . Install a lowrance 4 , 5 , or above . End of story . You will dramatically reduce your problems . The transducer will be in water which will result in an unbeatable image . 5 inch models are nice and will reduce the possibility of you squinting at screen . As far as transducer , you will get different opions on which is better. Most users like the 50/200 over the 83/200 . The 50 wide beam has better penetration , which translates to greater depth . The 83 will gill you a slightly better image . At the depths we generally fish , some might feel the 50 is overkill . Especially if you will be primarily fishing only kelp , or bays. The 50/200 is significantly more money . As far as the narrow beams between the two , remarkedly they are not the same . The 200 kHz beam on the 83/200 is slightly wider . By a couple degrees . This translate into wider coverage . This is why one pro might choose the 83 kHz and another pro might choose the 50 kHz . Then there is the choice of whether you want o run the hdi down imaging . The price of transducer jumps drastically . Retail for the 50/200 hdi is probably over 200$ . Personally I like down imaging , when you get it set up correctly . I saw a user with what I believe was an elite 5 . The picture was incredible . If you go to the lowrance site , there is a page where you can compare the different transducers. You can see all the specs of the transducers , including the degrees of cone angles. Hope this helps . Personally I am running a 50/200 on a gen 3 . Lots of power . Probably the most power for price range of the unit . My second yak has a dragon fly . The unit is almost idiot proof , which is why lots of users run it . Due to its simplicity . It also has a very strong down imaging chirp beam . Some slight modification involved to install it into lowrance ready bay .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:23 PM   #3
TJones

Forgot to mention

Look for a transducer with a blue connector . If you grab a unit without a transducer and need one , or would like to try them out . Drop me a line . I have a box of them .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:04 PM   #4
GoGoGoJack

Murray --- if you have a Hobie with transducer mount below, then you might consider getting the 83/200 transducer as the one that reads a deeper depths will not fit (it is too large). I made that mistake and had to send it back ( and pay for extra shipping 😱😱&#128561
The 83/200 works fine unless you are out in super deep water like 1000+ feet.... It becomes useless ... Well, that's my two cents worth... Which only applies if you have a Hobie yak....
GoGoGoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:46 PM   #5
Murray

My outback is probably one of the originals.........super old but still a great platform. That said, it does not have the lowrance ready config so I will have to customize transducer mount. Lowrance highly recommended 50/200 per my fishing in LJ. They inferred that salt water requires the power of the 50 even at typical LJ depths. Was thinking on open water config but am concerned with the transducer becoming a kelp magnet. Understand a wet mount inside the yak may be the way to go. Thought I read that a 50/200 wet mount negatively affected the results somehow so would appreciate any input from those who are using that configuration. Want to max out my results with the best possible transducer mount so am all ears to suggestions. Thanks all.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:39 PM   #6
Mtobolsky
Loves his member

Definitely check the web site. The HDI 50/200 is the way to go, not just for depth but salinity affects the read hence their suggestion. I've got a hds12 gen 3 and has down imaging processor in the head unit. Make sure the chirp elite has the ability to process down imaging you will need a module as well. Call Lowrance and ask them. +1 (800) 628-4487. The HDI 50/200 is $199 which isn't bad and can be epoxied to the inside of your boat, keep in mind temp and imaging is moderately affected when the transducer is not in the water.

When I got my unit I accidentally got the 83/200 transducer and am replacing with the 50/200 the former is NOT optimized for the Britney deep.... All and all call them, they will give you good info and it won't take long.

Good luck
Mtobolsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:02 PM   #7
Murray

Lowrance suggested getting the xd50/200/455/800 transducer. Believe the 455/800 is freq for down scan imaging. Do I need to purchase any other components?